The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

"When in Rome, do as the British do"
Original post by L i b
tl;dr version: you're not terribly bright, don't understand politics and probably a bigot.

This year, I got four unconditional offers for Politics & IR from all RG universities and I've deferred my offer for Politics at UoB. I got ABB at A-level without studying, have a higher IQ than average and I do in fact understand Politics. Your expectation of me to have expertise knowledge on British politics (in contrast to world politics or American politics) when I've clearly specified that I'm not British stems from what I've been saying all along and what all of you have so adamantly denied - that your colonial past has shaped and formed a national mentality sustained on entitlement. Of course everybody speaks English, why shouldn't they? And they should also do so when I go on lads holiday to get pissed and high and disrespect the locals/settle down at 65 in Amsterdam/Budapest/Barcelona/Portugal so there's no reason for me to learn a second language despite the rest of the world speaking two. Of course everybody knows the ins and outs of British politics, why shouldn't they? Of course they should know the exact number of black people who we illegally deported from our country because we lack a functional social security system in our country which forces our immigrants to hold on to 45-year old documents to not face getting deported after 40 years in the country and they should of course, know that. Of course they should know the intricacies of our countless political scandals established on institutional racism. If they don't, they don't understand politics full stop.

Aaaaand that is why I don't like the English. Another reason stems from your consistent lack of respect for democracy, your massive income inequality and repressive class system.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
You are sanctimonious throughout this thread. Sweden is brainwashed and reflexively pc on every issue. Hence why the media brainwashed you and you accept mass rapid immigration into a minute country.

But we don't. Mass immigration has largely stopped (there is massive border control from Denmark to Sweden and we've deported a huge number of people). This started in 2016 because of the terrorist attack in Stockholm yet the alt right continues to pursue this level of argument (kind of like they pursue the concept of no-go zones. A family member of mine lives in a so called "no-go zone" - with renovated apartments, pretty parks, swimming pools, playgrounds and friendly, terrifying people who say hello in the streets to each other and pet each others dogs). Also, Sweden isn't small. We're not "minute". We're the fifth largest country in Europe by area - we're larger than Germany. Also, the Viking culture is no longer affecting Sweden or any of the Nordic countries. We learn about it in the fifth grade and then we go on day tours to museums with our history school class and our mum packs us packed lunches. It has no influence on our current culture. The same cannot be said for the UK and especially not England. The Brexit vote was inherently founded upon colonial entitlement - no country should be able economially/politically control you, yet it's perfectly fine for you to undemocratically suspend Parliament in order to drive through British laws. Your anti-immigration mindset (EU citizens jumping the queue, the Windrush scandal etc) all stems from that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by angelinahx
This year, I got four unconditional offers for Politics & IR from all RG universities and I've deferred my offer for Politics at UoB. I got ABB at A-level without studying, have a higher IQ than average and I do in fact understand Politics. Your expectation of me to have expertise knowledge on British politics (in contrast to world politics or American politics) when I've clearly specified that I'm not British stems from what I've been saying all along and what all of you have so adamantly denied - that your colonial past has shaped and formed a national mentality sustained on entitlement. Of course everybody speaks English, why shouldn't they? And they should also do so when I go on lads holiday to get pissed and high and disrespect the locals/settle down at 65 in Amsterdam/Budapest/Barcelona/Portugal so there's no reason for me to learn a second language despite the rest of the world speaking two. Of course everybody knows the ins and outs of British politics, why shouldn't they? Of course they should know the exact number of black people who we illegally deported from our country because we lack a functional social security system in our country which forces our immigrants to hold on to 45-year old documents to not face getting deported after 40 years in the country and they should of course, know that. Of course they should know the intricacies of our countless political scandals established on institutional racism. If they don't, they don't understand politics full stop.

Aaaaand that is why I don't like the English. Another reason stems from your consistent lack of respect for democracy, your massive income inequality and repressive class system.

Sorry, I gave up on reading that after the rather sorry boast of having been accepted to study Politics and IR at some universities.

What a rant.....why are you going to uni in England if you have so little respect for the English?
Original post by harrysbar
What a rant.....why are you going to uni in England if you have so little respect for the English?

I'm really contemplating changing it - initially I did so solely because of London but I don't think I would be able to live in a country so deeply undemocratic as yours.
Original post by L i b
Sorry, I gave up on reading that after the rather sorry boast of having been accepted to study Politics and IR at some universities.

You said I lacked knowledge on Politics. I said: I do not. Your expectation of me to have expertise knowledge on British politics (in contrast to world politics or American politics) when I've clearly specified that I'm not British stems from what I've been saying all along and what all of you have so adamantly denied - that your colonial past has shaped and formed a national mentality sustained on entitlement. Of course everybody speaks English, why shouldn't they? And they should also do so when I go on lads holiday to get pissed and high and disrespect the locals/settle down at 65 in Amsterdam/Budapest/Barcelona/Portugal so there's no reason for me to learn a second language despite the rest of the world speaking two. Of course everybody knows the ins and outs of British politics, why shouldn't they? Of course they should know the exact number of black people who we illegally deported from our country because we lack a functional social security system in our country which forces our immigrants to hold on to 45-year old documents to not face getting deported after 40 years in the country and they should of course, know that. Of course they should know the intricacies of our countless political scandals established on institutional racism. If they don't, they don't understand politics full stop.
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm really contemplating changing it - initially I did so solely because of London but I don't think I would be able to live in a country so deeply undemocratic as yours.

You should, you sound like you hate us :frown:
Oooh look it is anime with the anti English threads again.

If anyone is wondering anime has other accounts comprised of the same.

anime198.PNG
But we don't. Mass immigration has largely stopped (there is massive border control from Denmark to Sweden and we've deported a huge number of people). This started in 2016 because of the terrorist attack in Stockholm yet the alt right continues to pursue this level of argument (kind of like they pursue the concept of no-go zones. A family member of mine lives in a so called "no-go zone" - with renovated apartments, pretty parks, swimming pools, playgrounds and friendly, terrifying people who say hello in the streets to each other and pet each others dogs). Also, Sweden isn't small. We're not "minute". We're the fifth largest country in Europe by area - we're larger than Germany. Also, the Viking culture is no longer affecting Sweden or any of the Nordic countries. We learn about it in the fifth grade and then we go on day tours to museums with our history school class and our mum packs us packed lunches. It has no influence on our current culture. The same cannot be said for the UK and especially not England. The Brexit vote was inherently founded upon colonial entitlement - no country should be able economially/politically control you, yet it's perfectly fine for you to undemocratically suspend Parliament in order to drive through British laws. Your anti-immigration mindset (EU citizens jumping the queue, the Windrush scandal etc) all stems from that.

It has nothing to do with 'colonial entitlement' that's just nonsense. It's about independence. The entitled and dictatorial people are the ones who think they know what's best for us and that we should have no democratic say on our future. And again, numerous countries have colonial pasts, equally or more brutal than ours (France and Spain) Its easy to be righteous when you are a country not if the scale to have colonies. I don't hear anything about German entitlement even though they decimated Europe and still treat it in an arrogant, high handed manner. And we did stand alone against fascism when other nations colluded through self interested calculation. So why not gave some balance, instead of this hypocrisy? I'm tired of the UK being the receptacle for sanctimony, and I'm tired of sanctimony about historical events, all reduced to a morally simplistic and self serving argument.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
"When in Rome, do as the British do"

Get drunk and vomit?
Original post by anime198
Not Scandinavia or Japan. I've done a lot of research and I've never, ever seen any conflict between England and Scandinavia or England and Japan. The Japanese are actually huge Anglophiles. We did fight with America but they've forgiven us and consider us one of their best friends. I highly doubt they would say that if they hated us.

Do you count the Viking invaders as a war with Scandinavia?
Original post by SaucissonSecCy
Get drunk and vomit?

*Rule Britannia intensifies*

Spoiler

Reply 92
I’m English and while I don’t hate the English I certainly don’t like them. I mean I can easily think if thirty nationalities I’d rather share a cell with .
Most English people are either Tories or ill educated violent or aggressive thugs.
Reply 93

I’ve just pointed out that I don’t like the English even though I’m English so I want to pick you up on your point about the ant immigration mindset as you put it.
I think the main cause of anti immigration feeling in this country is because everyone realises that for ordinary people of average intelligence the best way to improve your lot in this country is to buy a house.
And almost all people of average intelligence believe that the more people that come here the harder it is for ordinary people to buy a house .
I myself , in spite of being left leaning for many many years am appalled at the way mass immigration has been foisted on the working classes by the useless two main parties while they allow a chronic lack of housing to continue .
In the 60s black people and others suffered a great deal of prejudice but that wasnt special to the English .
Original post by moggis
I’ve just pointed out that I don’t like the English even though I’m English so I want to pick you up on your point about the ant immigration mindset as you put it.
I think the main cause of anti immigration feeling in this country is because everyone realises that for ordinary people of average intelligence the best way to improve your lot in this country is to buy a house.
And almost all people of average intelligence believe that the more people that come here the harder it is for ordinary people to buy a house .
I myself , in spite of being left leaning for many many years am appalled at the way mass immigration has been foisted on the working classes by the useless two main parties while they allow a chronic lack of housing to continue .
In the 60s black people and others suffered a great deal of prejudice but that wasnt special to the English .

The main reason for anti-immigration sentiments within the UK (and elsewhere really) is the realization that politicians - and especially those who are British - are fundamentally useless. Instead of actually focusing on that, people find a scapegoat (in the 2016, that was the EU) to blame which establishes an us vs them sentiment because that's easier to deal with and actually do something about because it's pinpointed and specific. The chronic lack of affordable housing is not the individual fault of immigrants for "stealing your houses" but rather, the Right to Buy policy which was initiated by Thatcher in the 80s.
Not British im English
You clearly don't understand the concept of implicit norms and attitudes. Just because people don't actively want colonialism back, doesn't mean colonial-based racism, implicit biases in your judicial system, and cultural entitlement doesn't influence everything the English do.
The Windrush Scandal was based on racism. You illegally deported hundreds of black residents away from their families because you thought they were illegal immigrants for being black. Y'all are gross.

I can’t stand rude juvenile people like yourself who feel the need to generalise an entire nationality. I have some Swedish family and I find them to be some of the coldest and most arrogant people i know but I like to think I’m mature enough to know that not all “y’all” (ugh) are like this.
(edited 4 years ago)
I know, the Swedish are cold and horrible too, that's why I left and moved to Scotland and love it. I've lived in England, this isn't based on unfounded assumptions but personal experience dealing with y'all.

It's so judgemental to generalise about a whole country of people in that way ....says way more about you that you found so many horrible people in England and Sweden
Original post by harrysbar
It's so judgemental to generalise about a whole country of people in that way ....says way more about you that you found so many horrible people in England and Sweden

Uhhhh no I've lived in both? And I've lived in many other places too? Some people you vibe with and some people you don't and sometimes these are linked to culture? It ain't that deep, I live in Scotland now like I said and I adore everyone I meet
Original post by Memewarrior
I can’t stand rude juvenile people like yourself who feel the need to generalise an entire nationality. I have some Swedish family and I find them to be some of the coldest and most arrogant people i know but I like to think I’m mature enough to know that not all “y’all” (ugh) are like this.

I know, the Swedish are cold and horrible too, that's why I left and moved to Scotland and love it. I've lived in England, this isn't based on unfounded assumptions but personal experience dealing with y'all.

Latest

Trending

Trending