The Student Room Group

Is it good to learn a skilled trade as well as have a full time job?

I just wanted to know is it good to learn a skilled trade(in construction) as well as have a full-time job so you could use the skilled trade as a side job. such as have a normal full-time job and do carpentry or be an electrician as a side business.
While it's always good to to learn new things and keep improving yourself, if you're working full time I'd say you would really struggle to run a business as a self employed electrician/plumber as well. Self employed trades succeed in a lot of areas by word of mouth, and if you're working full time you're going to struggle to have the hours you need to do any work.

Carpentry may be slightly different as you can have a workshop to construct things and there is a slightly different expectation around timescales, but someone expecting a plumber or electrician, especially for larger jobs isn't going to want someone who can only do very limited times.
Reply 2
Original post by Joe1000000
While it's always good to to learn new things and keep improving yourself, if you're working full time I'd say you would really struggle to run a business as a self employed electrician/plumber as well. Self employed trades succeed in a lot of areas by word of mouth, and if you're working full time you're going to struggle to have the hours you need to do any work.

Carpentry may be slightly different as you can have a workshop to construct things and there is a slightly different expectation around timescales, but someone expecting a plumber or electrician, especially for larger jobs isn't going to want someone who can only do very limited times.

Thank you for the advice :smile: I also wanted to ask do you think there are part-time carpentry courses that you can do while you are at college
Original post by Gur-jee-van
Thank you for the advice :smile: I also wanted to ask do you think there are part-time carpentry courses that you can do while you are at college

That will likely depend on area. Your best chance of finding one would be looking at Adult Education courses that will typically rin in the evenings, otherwise you will probably struggle.
Reply 4
That will likely depend on area. Your best chance of finding one would be looking at Adult Education courses that will typically rin in the evenings, otherwise you will probably struggle.

Thank you for your reply:smile: and Do you think they would charge you if you are 16-18 even if you are in the adult classes and o you think if they do you can have a word with them and talk about the situation. Thank you
Original post by Gur-jee-van
Thank you for your reply:smile: and Do you think they would charge you if you are 16-18 even if you are in the adult classes and o you think if they do you can have a word with them and talk about the situation. Thank you

That will depend on how funding works in your area.
Reply 6
That will depend on how funding works in your area.

Thanks for your help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending