The Student Room Group

Is using another flashcard deck good for a level biology

I found a deck online with really good in depth flash cards of topics for a level biology. However, i do not know if revising their deck will be as effective for me as opposed to making my own deck. Could anyone give me advise as to what they think i should do, because i feel like even if i made a flash card deck myself, i would still be not up to the standard as the deck i have found. Also i found this deck online so if i was to use it. is it better if i make my own flash cards on cards rather than using it online. Thank you
Original post by Azotic
I found a deck online with really good in depth flash cards of topics for a level biology. However, i do not know if revising their deck will be as effective for me as opposed to making my own deck. Could anyone give me advise as to what they think i should do, because i feel like even if i made a flash card deck myself, i would still be not up to the standard as the deck i have found. Also i found this deck online so if i was to use it. is it better if i make my own flash cards on cards rather than using it online. Thank you

It really is a waste of time, all this stuff. It's equivalent to reading someone else's notes and thinking that they're somehow a substitute for your own.
Original post by Reality Check
It really is a waste of time, all this stuff. It's equivalent to reading someone else's notes and thinking that they're somehow a substitute for your own.

What do you recommend instead?
Original post by asjad_naqvi
What do you recommend instead?

Going through your notes to pull out the bare bones facts, like definitions. These lend themselves well to flashcards, and are where candidates routinely lose marks. Flashcards are good for rote learning, but not a substitute for good notes which have been condensed as part of revision. The worst thing is a 'flashcard' with about a paragraph of tiny writing on it. Totally useless!
i’m in yr 13 as well but somehow got good grades in my mocks (shocked tbf). what i’ve done is rather than just put notes on flashcards, i go through my classnotes and make up exam questions based on each paragraph/overarching point. put the question on one side and the point on the other. i’ve covered the whole of the biology syllabus in this way and it seems to have helped me so far x
Reply 5
Okay, thanks everyone for all the advice, so what i think im going to do is make flash cards from the textbook on all the topics which i have done so far, because i have made notes, but i dont seem to use my notes, so they just go to waste. I hope to get this done by 15-20 March, at which point i can start doing practice paper questions and improving exam technique as i feel like exam technique is 60%. I will not go too much in detail with my flash cards, because im going to make them for practice paper questions as well. Does this sound like a good plan? Thanks so much for all the advice.

Quick Reply

Latest