The Student Room Group

GCSE Options

Hello! :smile:I would like some input on my decision choices, as a job I'd like to get into possibly game or software development which may give an idea of what I want to do.I was considering:Computer Science, pretty much a given.Media Studies,Business,History,I'd like to get an idea how these subjects would work together and how much stress it would be put on me, as far as I'm aware these are all exam based.
Original post by Syncx1
Hello! :smile:I would like some input on my decision choices, as a job I'd like to get into possibly game or software development which may give an idea of what I want to do.I was considering:Computer Science, pretty much a given.Media Studies,Business,History,I'd like to get an idea how these subjects would work together and how much stress it would be put on me, as far as I'm aware these are all exam based.

Hello! I studied Games Development. I would recommend computer science and media studies (because games is part of the media industry as a whole and I WISH I had studied it at GCSE), definitely business to get a basic understanding. I'm not sure about History. Is that just something you're interested in, or are you more into historical setting games?
Reply 2
Original post by charlocat
Hello! I studied Games Development. I would recommend computer science and media studies (because games is part of the media industry as a whole and I WISH I had studied it at GCSE), definitely business to get a basic understanding. I'm not sure about History. Is that just something you're interested in, or are you more into historical setting games?

Thanks for your response :smile:, the way our options work is we have to choose one of a language or history or geography. So history is just what I enjoy most out of the three.
Original post by Syncx1
Thanks for your response :smile:, the way our options work is we have to choose one of a language or history or geography. So history is just what I enjoy most out of the three.

That's fair enough! I think a language would be more beneficial but only if you could pick it up - just because you'd be able to translate game dialogue etc but you can always learn a language you prefer (like Japanese as that's quite popular) later on in life.
Reply 4
Original post by charlocat
That's fair enough! I think a language would be more beneficial but only if you could pick it up - just because you'd be able to translate game dialogue etc but you can always learn a language you prefer (like Japanese as that's quite popular) later on in life.

I find languages one of the most difficult subjects and get the worst grades currently, however I understand it would be useful.. I just hope it wouldn't be a mandatory qualification for the sort of jobs I'd potentially be interested in.
Original post by Syncx1
I find languages one of the most difficult subjects and get the worst grades currently, however I understand it would be useful.. I just hope it wouldn't be a mandatory qualification for the sort of jobs I'd potentially be interested in.

Oh! No, it will not be. It is more desirable. Hopefully this helps: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcses/find-career-ideas/explore-jobs/job-profile/computer-games-developer

Quick Reply

Latest