The Student Room Group

RAC black box- urban and night score?

I have RAC insurance with black box. I've noticed my scores have all stayed at 100- apart from urban and night.

When bringing it up with the RAC, they were as helpful as ever- saying I needed to call them. This is something I may do as its brought down my driving score to 95 now, and urban is now 73 and night is now 75.

However, I was wondering if anyone here knows of any reasons that these scores go down so much, and how to get them back up?

TIA :smile:

Edit: I should add that I've only had a black box for 3-4 weeks now.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by ColUniHopeful
I have RAC insurance with black box. I've noticed my scores have all stayed at 100- apart from urban and night.

When bringing it up with the RAC, they were as helpful as ever- saying I needed to call them. This is something I may do as its brought down my driving score to 95 now, and urban is now 73 and night is now 75.

However, I was wondering if anyone here knows of any reasons that these scores go down so much, and how to get them back up?

TIA :smile:

Edit: I should add that I've only had a black box for 3-4 weeks now.

Hopefully it’s settled down for you now??

I’ve just taken out a black box policy with them but I’m still waiting to receive the actual box from them.

I’ve taken this policy simply because the price was sooo good! Although I’ve had a couple of policies before, I’ve never had a black box before monitoring all my driving... so the thought of that is a bit scary to say the least 😳😳

How are you getting on with it... ?
Original post by Maxxxine
Hopefully it’s settled down for you now??

I’ve just taken out a black box policy with them but I’m still waiting to receive the actual box from them.

I’ve taken this policy simply because the price was sooo good! Although I’ve had a couple of policies before, I’ve never had a black box before monitoring all my driving... so the thought of that is a bit scary to say the least 😳😳

How are you getting on with it... ?

I’m a little late replying, apologies! Nope, same issues still ongoing and had an issue where I had to emergency brake and it knocked down my brake score to 0 despite no previous occurrences. RAC refused to do nothing about it (unfortunately understandable).

Then a few months later I had to get something done to my tyres and forgot to tell the garage to unplug my blackbox and they tested it on a rolling road. Again same issue, RAC didn’t want to know despite offering to provide evidence (all the paperwork given to me by the garage).
I’m a little late replying, apologies! Nope, same issues still ongoing and had an issue where I had to emergency brake and it knocked down my brake score to 0 despite no previous occurrences. RAC refused to do nothing about it (unfortunately understandable).

Then a few months later I had to get something done to my tyres and forgot to tell the garage to unplug my blackbox and they tested it on a rolling road. Again same issue, RAC didn’t want to know despite offering to provide evidence (all the paperwork given to me by the garage).

Honestly, I'm convinced these companies either don't care about the scores unless you're particularly bad, or they want you to avoid driving at all costs, and if you must drive, they want you to do it insanely slow.

I wouldn't take much notice of the scores honestly. If it bothers them, they'll inform you of intent to cancel your policy. At which point you'd get in touch and cancel yourself (lil insurance loophole, don't have to declare cancelled insurance if you're the one cancelling it) Just put up with it for now and get rid of the black box and don't look back come renewal time
Original post by TheMcSame
Honestly, I'm convinced these companies either don't care about the scores unless you're particularly bad, or they want you to avoid driving at all costs, and if you must drive, they want you to do it insanely slow.

I wouldn't take much notice of the scores honestly. If it bothers them, they'll inform you of intent to cancel your policy. At which point you'd get in touch and cancel yourself (lil insurance loophole, don't have to declare cancelled insurance if you're the one cancelling it) Just put up with it for now and get rid of the black box and don't look back come renewal time

I AM FREE!!! They sent me a letter with an offer for a renewal, I used a comparison site and it was cheaper for me to go elsewhere AND without a black box.
I AM FREE!!! They sent me a letter with an offer for a renewal, I used a comparison site and it was cheaper for me to go elsewhere AND without a black box.

Good to hear.
Not being funny but I would t touch a black box with a barge pole
Original post by Emma:-)
Good to hear.
Not being funny but I would t touch a black box with a barge pole

Unfortunately I didn't have much of a choice at the time- it would have cost me a couple of £100s more. At times it was good when I couldn't remember what road I parked my car down though :smile:
Unfortunately I didn't have much of a choice at the time- it would have cost me a couple of £100s more. At times it was good when I couldn't remember what road I parked my car down though :smile:

For a moment I thought you were gonna say that it was gonna cost a couple of thousand more then.
Not being funny but for a couple of hundred pound more I'd go for a normal policy any day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending