The Student Room Group

career advice

Hello all,

I've got offer from strathclyde university for mechanical design engineering msc this September , so I've been thinking about the job opportunities after masters in design engineering

So Could you please give me an advice that how can i improve my career as an international student

Thanks in advance 😊
Original post by Dildilip
Hello all,

I've got offer from strathclyde university for mechanical design engineering msc this September , so I've been thinking about the job opportunities after masters in design engineering

So Could you please give me an advice that how can i improve my career as an international student

Thanks in advance 😊

Where are you planning on working after graduation?

Most of the same advice given to UK students will also apply to international students, although the issue of visas may come up if you are planning to work in the UK after graduation.
Reply 2
Firstly thank you for the response

I want to work in Scotland after masters

One more thing do companies provide visa sponsorship to freshers, if not what I've to do to increase my sponsorship from companies (ex- skills, experience etc..)

One more thing do companies provide visa sponsorship to freshers, if not what I've to do to increase my sponsorship from companies (ex- skills, experience etc..)

Getting a visa isn't about your skills, it's about whether there is demand for the job that can be supplied in the UK or not. So is there a shortage of mechanical engineers in the UK? If not, then employers won't be able to sponsor mechanical design engineers who need visas. I suspect there aren't shortages of Mech Design Engs, so there will be no visas. The shortages are in some areas of technology, nursing etc.
Reply 4
Thanks for the information 🙂

Not about visas

I'm asking about skills to improve job opportunities in my field

I imagine it's going to be very difficult to get sponsorship from companies as an international student. It's something that's rarely done here, so I wouldn't count on it if you are an international student.

Likewise it could be quite difficult to work in Scotland after graduation. Lots of jobs will state, or were stating, that only those with the right to work in the UK may apply. It seems to be mainly the bigger companies that can sponsor visas.
Reply 6
Its really usefull
Thank you so much

But, it's my dream to get a job in uk
How can i fullfill that with all these difficulties

Suggest me
Its really usefull
Thank you so much

But, it's my dream to get a job in uk
How can i fullfill that with all these difficulties

Suggest me

It is going to be difficult, unfortunately. You're going to have to find an employer who is willing and able to sponsor a visa, and they're going to have to want to give you a job offer.

What is your educational and employment background?
Reply 8
I've done my under graduation in mechanical engineering recently

And worked as a recruiter for clients(spirit aerosystems, Boeing) for 5 months

Now I've applied to masters in uk and got offers from strathclyde university, Brunel University, Leicester University for advanced mechanical engineering with placement.
Reply 9
The recent changes to include 2 year post study work visas would surely improve chances for international students ,dont you guys think that plays any part ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending