The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Changing course in LSE

I have just been accepted into BSc Management in LSE, is it possible to request a course change to BSc Economics? I have yet to start school in LSE and am wondering if it is possible to change courses before entering uni. I initially applied for both, but am now thinking that perhaps economics would be a more valuable degree. (my personal statement was slightly more inclined towards firms due to trying for Oxford E&M programme, hence I believe they offered me Management as a result, but I believe I had a strong chance of getting into Economics)
Original post by levuniwoes
I have just been accepted into BSc Management in LSE, is it possible to request a course change to BSc Economics? I have yet to start school in LSE and am wondering if it is possible to change courses before entering uni. I initially applied for both, but am now thinking that perhaps economics would be a more valuable degree. (my personal statement was slightly more inclined towards firms due to trying for Oxford E&M programme, hence I believe they offered me Management as a result, but I believe I had a strong chance of getting into Economics)

If you want to I guess you could try ringing up admissions, but LSE economics is really the flagship course in my opinion and may well be more competitive than management - and if they offered you a place for management it realistically may be unlikely for them to change that. However, if you e.g. take Further Maths A Level and meet all of the requirements of the straight economics course, you could try to switch. Although make sure you’re switching for the right reasons - otherwise if you prefer management to economics stick with management. Getting a 1st in management would be better than a 2:2 in economics, and there is a fair difference between the courses so make sure if you do plan to switch, that you genuinely prefer the economics course. Good luck!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by Mona123456
If you want to I guess you could try ringing up admissions, but LSE economics is really the flagship course in my opinion and may well be more competitive than management - and if they offered you a place for management it realistically may be unlikely for them to change that. However, if you e.g. take Further Maths A Level and meet all of the requirements of the straight economics course, you could try to switch. Although make sure you’re switching for the right reasons - otherwise if you prefer management to economics stick with management. Getting a 1st in management would be better than a 2:2 in economics, and there is a fair difference between the courses so make sure if you do plan to switch, that you genuinely prefer the economics course. Good luck!

thanku so much for your help dear!! May I ask what you mean by "2:2 in economics"? Also, I saw that you wrote you're an economist in your profile, may I ask how much of econs at uni level is centred around math? From what I understand, it is around a good 50% and above, is that true? And do you have any idea if an economics degree will be valued higher as compared to a management degree (given that it is more general) in industries like finance? Thank you so much!
thanku so much for your help dear!! May I ask what you mean by "2:2 in economics"? Also, I saw that you wrote you're an economist in your profile, may I ask how much of econs at uni level is centred around math? From what I understand, it is around a good 50% and above, is that true? And do you have any idea if an economics degree will be valued higher as compared to a management degree (given that it is more general) in industries like finance? Thank you so much!

When I said 2:2 in economics, I meant that if you enjoy management more, you’re better off getting a first class degree in management rather than a lower second class degree in economics.

I haven’t quite started my degree yet so am not the best person to ask. For Unis like LSE and Warwick, yes, I reckon about 40-60% of it will be maths - it varies depending on the Uni and the modules, but usually the maths at this level goes beyond Further Maths A Level. For some BA courses though it may be around normal A Level or Further Maths A Level standard though - I haven’t been to LSE so don’t know. Some courses e.g. Cambridge are essentially applied statistics degrees by the final year. I recommend checking the course structure on the official Uni websites to see the types of modules (e.g. Macroeconomics is less mathematical than Microeconomics or Quantitative Economics or Econometrics). If you have offers the Uni may email you with information about live chats or chances to speak to current students (or alternatively you could ask these questions on an offer holder open day).

It depends what area of finance - something like a HR related job may prefer management whereas for trading in IBs then an economics degree is more ideal. However, lots of finance companies clearly emphasise that have an economics/management/accountancy degree isn’t necessary. It’s more about the degree classification you’re on track for, along with your previous academics, skills tests, interview performance, CV etc. The exception would be that a role requiring a high level of mathematical economics / modelling would perhaps mean economics students have a slight advantage over management ones. But, if the job description doesn’t specify something like this I would assume you’re fine with either (even if in my opinion economics would be slightly more competitive). For internships it doesn’t matter what degree you’re doing (it’s more about the Uni, your past academics and your CV/other experience). Good luck.
Reply 4
Original post by Mona123456
When I said 2:2 in economics, I meant that if you enjoy management more, you’re better off getting a first class degree in management rather than a lower second class degree in economics.

I haven’t quite started my degree yet so am not the best person to ask. For Unis like LSE and Warwick, yes, I reckon about 40-60% of it will be maths - it varies depending on the Uni and the modules, but usually the maths at this level goes beyond Further Maths A Level. For some BA courses though it may be around normal A Level or Further Maths A Level standard though - I haven’t been to LSE so don’t know. Some courses e.g. Cambridge are essentially applied statistics degrees by the final year. I recommend checking the course structure on the official Uni websites to see the types of modules (e.g. Macroeconomics is less mathematical than Microeconomics or Quantitative Economics or Econometrics). If you have offers the Uni may email you with information about live chats or chances to speak to current students (or alternatively you could ask these questions on an offer holder open day).

It depends what area of finance - something like a HR related job may prefer management whereas for trading in IBs then an economics degree is more ideal. However, lots of finance companies clearly emphasise that have an economics/management/accountancy degree isn’t necessary. It’s more about the degree classification you’re on track for, along with your previous academics, skills tests, interview performance, CV etc. The exception would be that a role requiring a high level of mathematical economics / modelling would perhaps mean economics students have a slight advantage over management ones. But, if the job description doesn’t specify something like this I would assume you’re fine with either (even if in my opinion economics would be slightly more competitive). For internships it doesn’t matter what degree you’re doing (it’s more about the Uni, your past academics and your CV/other experience). Good luck.

ahhh alright, thanku so much for your help! Just ran through the list of modules for management and economics in LSE and realised I'm more interested in econs TT. Will contact admissions and see if it is in any way possible to do a swap, crossing my fingers for the best. Thanks for the detailed response though, really comforting to know that an economics degree isn't exactly a prerequisite for the finance industry, given that I'm currently looking at that as a possible career path.
ahhh alright, thanku so much for your help! Just ran through the list of modules for management and economics in LSE and realised I'm more interested in econs TT. Will contact admissions and see if it is in any way possible to do a swap, crossing my fingers for the best. Thanks for the detailed response though, really comforting to know that an economics degree isn't exactly a prerequisite for the finance industry, given that I'm currently looking at that as a possible career path.

You’re welcome, and best of luck with everything - I hope things work out for you.
Hey sorry this is really late but did it work out for you? Hoping to make a switch too at LSE before my first year starts in September

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending