The Student Room Group

entry requirments adult nursing

hi was wondering if anyone didnt have maths and english GCSE or enough ucas points and got onto the adult nursing course at uclan i had my interview yesturday and it went well i think but i dont have all the entry requirments

Scroll to see replies

I think you need maths and English qualifications regardless of where you want to study.
Reply 2
maybe you should try a foundation year
Original post by alex09xxx
hi was wondering if anyone didnt have maths and english GCSE or enough ucas points and got onto the adult nursing course at uclan i had my interview yesturday and it went well i think but i dont have all the entry requirments

Hi. Any results yet from your interview?
Reply 4
Original post by Lillydon123
Hi. Any results yet from your interview?

hey yes i got on the september start on the condition i have maths and english level2 so just trying to sort those out its also for the burnley campus have you heard anything yet ?
Reply 5
hey yes i got on the september start on the condition i have maths and english level2 so just trying to sort those out its also for the burnley campus have you heard anything yet ?

Congratulation, can i ask you what is your last education? Have you find functional skills course yet?
Reply 6

I had English but not Maths... they wouldn't even interview here without the entry requirements though. I did a fast pass, intense 2 weeks Level 2 Functional Skills Maths course with a company in December and managed to pass luckily. Since the reform of functional skills in September though they're like mini GCSE's and not at all what I was expecting. Def have a look at some of the functional skills past papers online to give you an idea but most of them are pre-reform so don't fully reflect how difficult they have now become. We had a class of 12 doing it.. only two of us passed!

You have until September so still time to meet both of the conditions of your offer if you take the fast pass route, otherwise colleges etc the functional skills tend to be a year long course.

Good Luck :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Marina_w
Congratulation, can i ask you what is your last education? Have you find functional skills course yet?

hi yes of course i did a certificate in education at hudesfield uni i have managed to enrol on a maths one in blackburn will take about 12 weeks to do the maths
Reply 8
Original post by ~MJ~
I had English but not Maths... they wouldn't even interview here without the entry requirements though. I did a fast pass, intense 2 weeks Level 2 Functional Skills Maths course with a company in December and managed to pass luckily. Since the reform of functional skills in September though they're like mini GCSE's and not at all what I was expecting. Def have a look at some of the functional skills past papers online to give you an idea but most of them are pre-reform so don't fully reflect how difficult they have now become. We had a class of 12 doing it.. only two of us passed!

You have until September so still time to meet both of the conditions of your offer if you take the fast pass route, otherwise colleges etc the functional skills tend to be a year long course.

Good Luck :smile:

thank you where did u do the fast pass course ?
Reply 9

They might accept functional skill maths! Check
Reply 10
thank you where did u do the fast pass course ?

I did it through a company called Skills Training UK, they have offices all over I believe, was a 2 week course with the exam on the last day.. the exam was online with pearson edexcel
Reply 11
Original post by ~MJ~
I did it through a company called Skills Training UK, they have offices all over I believe, was a 2 week course with the exam on the last day.. the exam was online with pearson edexcel

thank u i will have a look into it now
The entry requirements of maths & english are required by the NMC so I don't think there's any way around it. Good luck getting your Level2's though, you got this!!:smile:
Hi, honestly level 2 functional maths is your best bet if you aren't the best at maths as it is easier to pass. A month or less would be enough to revise for it but ofcourse aim to revise as much as you can not just a month and i would recommend 100% doing the edexcel exam board! Phone up exam centres, if you need results asap then check out the functional skills computer exam as results tend to arrive faster. You can do functional skills exams at any time :smile: hope this helps
Also the uni will have to take into account your ucas points but if you havent got the level 2 grades then you must makesure you get them. They may accept you as long as you pass it before you start your course/ results day. Again u can take functional skills at any time so it is convenient! It is around £85-100, but is totally worth it. GCSE maths is 10 x harder and functional skils is dooable and as long as you revise you'll be able to pass it. GCSE's are done within a specific time period wheras functional skills can be taken any time as long as the centre allows you to. Check the websites out to see more info on it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by RoseeX12
Hi, honestly level 2 functional maths is your best bet if you aren't the best at maths as it is easier to pass. A month or less would be enough to revise for it but ofcourse aim to revise as much as you can not just a month and i would recommend 100% doing the edexcel exam board! Phone up exam centres, if you need results asap then check out the functional skills computer exam as results tend to arrive faster. You can do functional skills exams at any time :smile: hope this helps
Also the uni will have to take into account your ucas points but if you havent got the level 2 grades then you must makesure you get them. They may accept you as long as you pass it before you start your course/ results day. Again u can take functional skills at any time so it is convenient! It is around £85-100, but is totally worth it. GCSE maths is 10 x harder and functional skils is dooable and as long as you revise you'll be able to pass it. GCSE's are done within a specific time period wheras functional skills can be taken any time as long as the centre allows you to. Check the websites out to see more info on it.

I have to disagree that functional skills is easier to pass, having recently sat the reformed functional skills myself, out of a class of 12 only 2 passed- my maths wasn't bad either, I have studied maths at university level and even I only just scraped a pass on the functional skills, it is much much harder to pass than the 'old style' and pass rates are quite low at the moment.

That said its not impossible and yes you can do them at any time which is a major advantage, if you don't have a GCSE at C or above already some providers offer the functional skills free of charge (I didn't have to pay)
Main advice is check out the practice tests although the ones online aren't the reformed ones (thats from september 2019 onwards) it will give you an idea of the types of questions they ask.
thank u i will have a look into it now

Hey, look to your local college, they do it this time for 12weeks,its free as well, i got english level 2 course start last monday, and math start next monday both free. Goodluck
Original post by ~MJ~
I have to disagree that functional skills is easier to pass, having recently sat the reformed functional skills myself, out of a class of 12 only 2 passed- my maths wasn't bad either, I have studied maths at university level and even I only just scraped a pass on the functional skills, it is much much harder to pass than the 'old style' and pass rates are quite low at the moment.

That said its not impossible and yes you can do them at any time which is a major advantage, if you don't have a GCSE at C or above already some providers offer the functional skills free of charge (I didn't have to pay)
Main advice is check out the practice tests although the ones online aren't the reformed ones (thats from september 2019 onwards) it will give you an idea of the types of questions they ask.

What exam board did you do, because honestly found the edexcel functional skill maths exam to be better. The OCR one is horrible!
Reply 17
Original post by RoseeX12
What exam board did you do, because honestly found the edexcel functional skill maths exam to be better. The OCR one is horrible!

We did the edexcel one but since the change in September 2019 they have been brought in line with gcse's they are no longer 'easy' and the pass rate at the moment is extremely low. If you have an understanding of maths then with revision it is doable But I wouldn't advise just finding a center and booking an exam you need some input from a tutor especially if you've not done maths for a while or not experienced the new gcse maths syllabus.
Reply 18
Original post by Marina_w
Hey, look to your local college, they do it this time for 12weeks,its free as well, i got english level 2 course start last monday, and math start next monday both free. Goodluck

hi i have contacted all the local colleges but they only start from september and i need them both completed for then where are u from ?
hi i have contacted all the local colleges but they only start from september and i need them both completed for then where are u from ?

Andover in hampshire, i hv english l2 from local college but not math as they were full, vut i found course centre near me do it free as well

Quick Reply

Latest