The Student Room Group

Is anybody else isolated and lonely at uni and wants people to talk to?

Hi, I'm in my second year at uni and due to my social anxiety I've been unable to meet any friends and I'm extremely lonely because of this. Is anyone else in the same situation and wants to talk about it? I'd be happy to talk to anyone struggling with loneliness at uni because I know all too well what it's like.
Reply 1
I wasn't really in that situation at university, well, I preferred being on my own, so being alone wasn't an issue really for me. I did have friends from university and elsewhere too, so when I felt able to I went and saw them, etc. Anyway, are you getting any support for your social anxiety?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm in my second year at uni and due to my social anxiety I've been unable to meet any friends and I'm extremely lonely because of this. Is anyone else in the same situation and wants to talk about it? I'd be happy to talk to anyone struggling with loneliness at uni because I know all too well what it's like.

Not at uni yet but social anxiety? That sounds familiar :frown: I'm scared I'm not going to have any friends at uni either because I am probably the most boring person I have ever met and people just prefer to hang out with others.

I mean, if I'm struggling with having no friends at a school I've been at for years then what are the chances I won't struggle with loneliness when I'm at uni? :confused:
Reply 3
Not at uni yet but social anxiety? That sounds familiar :frown: I'm scared I'm not going to have any friends at uni either because I am probably the most boring person I have ever met and people just prefer to hang out with others.

I mean, if I'm struggling with having no friends at a school I've been at for years then what are the chances I won't struggle with loneliness when I'm at uni? :confused:

My advice to you is to seek help. There is counselling available for social anxiety and cbt is most effective if you can afford it. It will be scary going to uni talking to people and everything but my advice is to push yourself to do these things as best you can. Push yourself to start a conversation with your flatmates even if it is only small talk it can build up. Join a society when you go there even if you go alone and are scary it won’t be as scary after the first few times. Please do not do what I did and take the easy way out and hide in your room and not talk to anybody because you will get so so lonely and depressed and it will be the worst thing ever. Yeah I really advise you get professional help before you go to uni and when you’re at uni push yourself because coming from someone else with social anxiety who didn’t expose themselves to scary situations, trust me you’d much rather be scared for the first few times interacting with people than not face your fears and be stuck with crippling depression. If you need any more advice or want someone to talk to you can come off anonymous or if you don’t want to do that I can come off anonymous and I can advise you about this.
My advice to you is to seek help. There is counselling available for social anxiety and cbt is most effective if you can afford it. It will be scary going to uni talking to people and everything but my advice is to push yourself to do these things as best you can. Push yourself to start a conversation with your flatmates even if it is only small talk it can build up. Join a society when you go there even if you go alone and are scary it won’t be as scary after the first few times. Please do not do what I did and take the easy way out and hide in your room and not talk to anybody because you will get so so lonely and depressed and it will be the worst thing ever. Yeah I really advise you get professional help before you go to uni and when you’re at uni push yourself because coming from someone else with social anxiety who didn’t expose themselves to scary situations, trust me you’d much rather be scared for the first few times interacting with people than not face your fears and be stuck with crippling depression. If you need any more advice or want someone to talk to you can come off anonymous or if you don’t want to do that I can come off anonymous and I can advise you about this.

Ah tysm for your advice. I would love to get some professional help but it's kind of hard at the moment because my parents don't recognise that social anxiety is a thing and thinks that it's just being shy, or that I'll quickly get over it or that overcoming social anxiety, or shyness as they call it, is as easy as flicking on a switch to say 'okay, I'm now a confident person'. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some professional help when I get to uni and will be away from home.

Is it okay, if I private message you? :smile:
Ah tysm for your advice. I would love to get some professional help but it's kind of hard at the moment because my parents don't recognise that social anxiety is a thing and thinks that it's just being shy, or that I'll quickly get over it or that overcoming social anxiety, or shyness as they call it, is as easy as flicking on a switch to say 'okay, I'm now a confident person'. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get some professional help when I get to uni and will be away from home.

Yeah that’s fine. I’ve came off of anonymous now 🙂

Imo they are very similar (shyness and social anxiety). But you're right, you can't just "switch it off". It's a learned habit. So you just have to practice putting yourself out there and talking with people/strangers. Then you'll get better and realise it isn't as hard as you once thought. But it takes time to overcome.
I have anxiety, but I actually prefer to be by myself. I do have friends in lessons, but most of my closest friends stayed at my secondary school (I'm in sixth form college by the way). I realised that I tend to befriend people who are the complete opposite to me, and I haven't found anyone who has the same interests as me and who has the same hobbies. I used to be a social butterfly and tried to talk with everyone, but over the years I just started going around with a b**** face and a "I don't give a ****" attitude, which is probably why people are scared of me and do not approach me lol. But at times I do feel lonely and wish I had someone to at least eat lunch with. I sort of understand you, and advise that you go seek professional help so that that loneliness will not effect your grades😊

Yes please - can we discuss this?
Reply 9
Yes please - can we discuss this?

If you come off anonymous I can message you

My situation is realy different but is also having a not healthy outcome and much dommage on my life and education due to the unwilliness of the university of Antwerp to give the good treatment needed to make my studypath healthy. I feel my social statue being terrorised. Being pushed in negative spiral lowering my social statue. I had to be PhD today if i would not have being bothered. Today i was bothered! I want to establish a community choir and to realise my student project in the country. Student play for Science. I feel being in need to fight for every detail. Being powerfull not being permitted to realise anything! So Yes,. This is the reason i am very social isolated and do not have friends. Not being aloud to have friends i want.

Quick Reply

Latest