The Student Room Group

Healthy catered or self catered?

Hi, I am eating healthily and I'm not sure about what type of accommodation I should apply for. The accommodation I wish to stay in is for welsh residence only which is what I want to stay in but the halls are catered only. So... my question is should I go for self-catered or catered accommodation due to my dietary needs, or do you think that Uni these days tend to have healthy alternatives/nutritional foods?
Original post by oroberto1509
Hi, I am eating healthily and I'm not sure about what type of accommodation I should apply for. The accommodation I wish to stay in is for welsh residence only which is what I want to stay in but the halls are catered only. So... my question is should I go for self-catered or catered accommodation due to my dietary needs, or do you think that Uni these days tend to have healthy alternatives/nutritional foods?

Contact the hall and see whats on offer i.e what you will get for your money.
Work out the pros and cons, especially cost v self catered.
They should eb able to tell you whats on the menu or if they give you credits to spend at the uni.
Original post by 999tigger
Contact the hall and see whats on offer i.e what you will get for your money.
Work out the pros and cons, especially cost v self catered.
They should eb able to tell you whats on the menu or if they give you credits to spend at the uni.

The (catered) accommodation is annually for £5,512 whilst a similar self-catered is annually for £5,575
These are the only 2 that I will be looking at due to them being designated for welsh medium speakers
The (catered) accommodation is annually for £5,512 whilst a similar self-catered is annually for £5,575
These are the only 2 that I will be looking at due to them being designated for welsh medium speakers

Not sure why catered would be cheaper than self catered. Look online for information i,e youtube or consider going to see them in person or talking to the hall manager or student residents.
Not sure why catered would be cheaper than self catered. Look online for information i,e youtube or consider going to see them in person or talking to the hall manager or student residents.

Sorry, the numbers are the other way around. I would try to talk in person, but the location is quite far for me to be there. I have just emailed the food area of the uni and they say that they have healthy foods, and they say that they have a salad bar, etc. From looking at their menu (they post them online on social media) it seems they serve lots of rice, potato/chips etc meats looks like curries and stews etc also they do have a fruit & veg and veg option.

I try to focus my food on the change 4 life / NHS Eat well guide healthy eating and therefore carbs isn't a big issue, but I do consider it when it comes to food but greasy food is an issue and I tend to look and fat, salts etc, also the uni told me that I would have a chat with the chef of the cafeteria to suit my needs so is this a good sign?

Thank you for your respond.
Sorry, the numbers are the other way around. I would try to talk in person, but the location is quite far for me to be there. I have just emailed the food area of the uni and they say that they have healthy foods, and they say that they have a salad bar, etc. From looking at their menu (they post them online on social media) it seems they serve lots of rice, potato/chips etc meats looks like curries and stews etc also they do have a fruit & veg and veg option.

I try to focus my food on the change 4 life / NHS Eat well guide healthy eating and therefore carbs isn't a big issue, but I do consider it when it comes to food but greasy food is an issue and I tend to look and fat, salts etc, also the uni told me that I would have a chat with the chef of the cafeteria to suit my needs so is this a good sign?

I think you are way overcomplicating this.

Work out the advantages of both halls- location size of rooms etc.
Work out the price difference.
For dinner and breakfast + getting a cooked meal is it worth that money? This is what most people would see as the key.
Will it be good enough for you? Expect it to be average.

If your diet is that important cook your own food and go self catrered then you eat what you choose to buy and cook.
ah.. right ok thank you

It's true elsewhere too - sometimes the catered are older buildings.

You can't feed yourself for £70 which seems to be the difference
the building has been re renovated for the 2020 applicants (my year) so it's brand new
Original post by Muttley79
It's true elsewhere too - sometimes the catered are older buildings.

Thats why I listed various factors for them to consider. Not understanding why it would be such hard work?

the building has been done up for the 2020 applicants (my year) so it's brand new

the building has been re renovated for the 2020 applicants (my year) so it's brand new

Quick Reply

Latest