The Student Room Group
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton

Ask a current Solent University students your questions

Scroll to see replies

This has helped massively, you so so much for you help. Hope to be joining this year 👍
City-centre campus surrounded by parks
Solent University
Southampton
hi I am senior in high school in Africa and I would really love to study beauty promotion at solent university..I have been looking for someone i can just chat with about some of the questions I have so if you please have time please let me know and I would really like to get into contact with you like privately please
Original post by yazrosex
This has helped massively, you so so much for you help. Hope to be joining this year 👍

Hi @yazrosex,

That's great news, we look forward to welcoming you! If you have any questions at all in the meantime, please don't hesitate to ask us!
Eloise :smile:
Original post by Thusnelde
hi I am senior in high school in Africa and I would really love to study beauty promotion at solent university..I have been looking for someone i can just chat with about some of the questions I have so if you please have time please let me know and I would really like to get into contact with you like privately please

Hi @Thusnelde,
It's great you're thinking of studying at Solent! Of course, let me know of any questions I can help with! :smile:
Hi @yazrosex

Sorry for such a delay! The option is there for a placement year, or alternatively, you have a 4 week placement at the end of your second year to give everyone some industry experience.

I hope this helps with your research,

Izzy :smile:

Hey,
Thank you so so much. Thank you for going out of your way to confirm that for me :smile:

Okay that sounds awesome, the experience seems great thank you!!

Thank you for asking Eloise.

This has really helped thank you ☺️! :smile:
Hi @charlocat, @yazrosex, @sachinihimara, @Yaxmin, @Thusnelde

Hopefully everyone is well and things are going well with your university choices? (We hope to see you in September!)

We would appreciate if you could give us your vote on this thread, as we are up for the chance of winning University Representatives of the year (it would be even more amazing for us as we are only students ourselves!)

Thank you for your time, we appreciate your support!

Izzy :flower2:
Original post by Solent University
Hi @charlocat, @yazrosex, @sachinihimara, @Yaxmin, @Thusnelde

Hopefully everyone is well and things are going well with your university choices? (We hope to see you in September!)

We would appreciate if you could give us your vote on this thread, as we are up for the chance of winning University Representatives of the year (it would be even more amazing for us as we are only students ourselves!)

Thank you for your time, we appreciate your support!

Hey,

Yes of course no problem you’ve been a great help. How do we vote?
Hey,

Yes of course no problem you’ve been a great help. How do we vote?

Hi @yazrosex , [br] [br] There should be a poll at the top of the link to the thread? Anymore issues just let me know.

Thank you for your support!

Izzy :smile:
Reply 28
Hello @Solent University,
I am interested in doing a foundation year in media and proceed to tv and film but I have read mixed reviews about the university.
Is it true that the students are not allowed to use the equipment and facilities until the 3rd year?
One thing that fascinates me most about the university is the work placements it provides but I am a bit anxious since I have not read anything about lectures on theory and the likes - would you say students after graduating have a better chance of finding a job than others with degree expirience only? Do they have any chances of establishing a career in the film and tv industry as well as in commercial? Is the work provided only by Solent Tv or do students have the opportunity to work with other companies?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Xdscore
Hello @Solent University,
I am interested in doing a foundation year in media and proceed to tv and film but I have read mixed reviews about the university.
Is it true that the students are not allowed to use the equipment and facilities until the 3rd year?
One thing that fascinates me most about the university is the work placements it provides but I am a bit anxious since I have not read anything about lectures on theory and the likes - would you say students after graduating have a better chance of finding a job than others with degree expirience only? Do they have any chances of establishing a career in the film and tv industry as well as in commercial? Is the work provided only by Solent Tv or do students have the opportunity to work with other companies?

Hi @Xdscore,

It's brilliant to hear you are considering a foundation year at Solent! I have found Solent to be an amazing University that has enhanced my learning and allowed me to reach my true potential. I am not sure what you have heard about not having access to equipment as I haven't come across this myself. All students have access to the library and computer resources, and in terms of course specific equipment, once you have undergone an induction on using the more technical items, you can book them out of the media hatch at any time. (If you did want me to confirm this specifically for your course so you can be certain, please let me know).

An example of this from my course was using the radio studios; we underwent an induction in our first semester and can now book them whenever we need using our student cards. The hatch also has cameras, tripods, lighting equipment, memory cards and much more for students to borrow (you can find out more here). I have not heard of having to wait until your third year on any of the courses, so I wouldn't expect that to be the case for a media specific course.

Having lecturers that hold industry experience really helps with the learning at Solent. My lecturers have been able to teach us theory and then apply it to real life practices and scenarios they have been involved in.

In terms of holding experience and a degree vs just a degree, that is really an industry specific question! In most cases, having the experience to prove your understanding as well as a qualification is probably more desirable, but this doesn't have to be in the shape of a placement year if you did not wish to do one. I am not sure of all the units on your degree choice, but in mine we are required to have at least 4 weeks work experience that we accumulate in the summer after our second year, and some students even carry this on for one day a week or so into their third year. This way students gain experience but it doesn't slow down the process of gaining a degree so you can graduate and get into the world of work quicker. Even if there is not a similar unit on your course, there is nothing to stop you going out and finding a part time placement over a summer or on weekends!

In regards to the diversity of work you may be doing, I found this quote on the BA (Hons) Film and Television course details page regarding working with others within the industry:

"The academic team is made up of active filmmakers and creative practitioners who bring a wealth of experience and networks to the curriculum and there are regular opportunities to work on live client briefs both within and beyond the curriculum.
Thanks to the course teams close links with industry, there is the opportunity for a variety of visiting speaker and masterclass programmes from a diverse number of industry guests. The visiting speaker programme is refreshed annually, but recent speakers have included; Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones), Paul Franklin (Batman Begins, Inception), Terry Rawlings (Alien, Blade Runner), Jan Harlan (The Shining, Full Metal Jacket), Walter Murch (Apocalypse Now, The Godfather Trilogy), Michael Apted (The World is Not Enough, Masters of Sex), Mike Hodges (Get Carter, Croupier), Fay Rusling (Green Wing, Smack the Pony), Alan Parker (The Commitments, Bugsy Malone), Dave Calhoun (Time Out)."

Working on live client briefs means you will be presented with real world clients that may even use the work you produce as part of their operations (with credit of course!) and it enables you to experience industry practices first hand.

I hope this has helped ease any concerns you have had, but please let me know if there are any more worries you have and I will try to contact your course leaders with any more direct questions.

Thank you!

Reply 30
Hi! I'm currently doing A levels and looking to study at Warsash next year. This means we can go into either Chantry or David Moxon halls. Which would you reccomend? I'm thinking David Moxon but am hesitant as it says its reserved as a quieter residence.. Is that the case with it or does it host pre's and parties etc just like any other halls?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending