The Student Room Group

Scitt teacher training

Hi, I have been to two teacher training interviews and been unsuccessful due to my not having a deeper knowledge on some educational issues. I get really nervous in interviews hence why I feel I need more practice. I have received feedback which I will undoubtedly take on board.

I don't know whether to go down the appy 2 route or take the interviewers advice and apply next year, get more experience in the meantime.
You could do both. You could try apply 2, cause you never know, you could get an offer. You may find any interviews aren't for a while and you have time to do more research and get more experience. If you end up getting no offers from apply 2, you can take a year out, do more research and get more experience.
Reply 2
Original post by remussjhj01
You could do both. You could try apply 2, cause you never know, you could get an offer. You may find any interviews aren't for a while and you have time to do more research and get more experience. If you end up getting no offers from apply 2, you can take a year out, do more research and get more experience.

Thank you so much for your help I appreciate it. I'm in two minds as I did so much research and revision and then it all boils down to the interview and teaching lesson. I start waffling and lose my way in interviews! Maybe I need interview help.
What is it you are doing remussjhj01? It's good to talk about this to somebody who doesn't know me!!!
Original post by S.A678
Thank you so much for your help I appreciate it. I'm in two minds as I did so much research and revision and then it all boils down to the interview and teaching lesson. I start waffling and lose my way in interviews! Maybe I need interview help.
What is it you are doing remussjhj01? It's good to talk about this to somebody who doesn't know me!!!

I'm currently on a gap year before I start my undergrad next year (music). I'm doing some school experience at the moment though, 3 days a week. I've found it really beneficial, it's definitely made me sure that I want to teach, and also shown me that I can do teaching and performing, which is great too, as I really love performing. I might do a masters, but I'll probably do teacher training first.
If you do need interview help, it might be worth looking at the get into teaching website. You can discuss it with advisers and see what they recommend. My impression is that you need to show you're passionate about your subject and working with young people, which is why it's important to get experience. What is it you're wanting to teach?
Reply 4
Original post by remussjhj01
I'm currently on a gap year before I start my undergrad next year (music). I'm doing some school experience at the moment though, 3 days a week. I've found it really beneficial, it's definitely made me sure that I want to teach, and also shown me that I can do teaching and performing, which is great too, as I really love performing. I might do a masters, but I'll probably do teacher training first.
If you do need interview help, it might be worth looking at the get into teaching website. You can discuss it with advisers and see what they recommend. My impression is that you need to show you're passionate about your subject and working with young people, which is why it's important to get experience. What is it you're wanting to teach?

You sound very young bless you as undergraduate I'm thinking early 20s. I hope your course goes well and good luck.

My teacher training advisor was really good to begin with but feel he withdrew and seems either to busy to respond or call me when he said he would. I am really passionate about teaching as I am doing voluntary work at a local primary school and have been researching alot of educational news and issues. I feel I need more practice within the classroom, more confidence and to be more relaxed. I only applied end of December and have attended 2 interviews, both unsuccessful~same outcome. My interviewer said had I given more depth on 2 questions, I probably would have been accepted. She even gave me her contact number when she rang me and told me of the interview outcome and told me to save her number and keep in touch. Also she said next year, she is more than willing to take me on for definite!!! She is truly a remarkable woman and I admire her nature and values.

I'm so hard on myself to be honest, I am upset deep down but I will have to lick my wounds, dust off and keep moving forward! I did my best and will improve and most importantly take on board the reflective feedback.

If I can help you in any way, do let me know and I'm always here for advice if you need to talk about anything. I will check my feed regularly. Keep in touch!
Original post by S.A678
Hi, I have been to two teacher training interviews and been unsuccessful due to my not having a deeper knowledge on some educational issues. I get really nervous in interviews hence why I feel I need more practice. I have received feedback which I will undoubtedly take on board.

I don't know whether to go down the appy 2 route or take the interviewers advice and apply next year, get more experience in the meantime.

Hi S.A678,

First of all, I am so sorry that you were unsuccessful within your interviews so far - it can be really confidence knocking when that happens, but the thing to remember is that maybe that particular provider just wasn't for you.

Are you applying for SCITT places, or a PGCE with a university, or something else? There are so many different options and opportunities that may be available to you, that picking the right place is important. I would recommend contacting your preferred choice ahead of time, having a chat with them and maybe going on one of their taster days (if they offer this) and getting your face and name well known.

Alongside this, keep an eye on sites that share current information on schools, like SchoolsWeek (their Twitter account is https://twitter.com/SchoolsWeek) and TES as this will help build your knowledge of current affairs affecting education and may help you feel more prepared when you walk into your interview.

I hope this helps and that any future interviews are more positive for you.

Take care,

Katrina
Original post by S.A678

Hi S.A678

As said above, the providers might not have been right for you. Also, even though you were unsuccessful, this will help you moving forward for the next set of interviews you get. You will be aware of what to expect to some extent and be able to prepare accordingly. Don't worry lots of people are unsuccessful at interviews, but take on board the feedback that was said and work on this in preparation for your next.

I wouldn't give up and take a year out if you are passionate about training. Do your research on the providers beforehand, the schools and policies etc and this will help you prepare, as well as gaining as much classroom experience you can, so you can see firsthand, what a good/outstanding lesson looks like and take ideas from this.

As I've said on a previous thread, register for 'Get Into Teaching' and here you will get 1 on 1 advice from experienced teachers who can advise and guide you on getting into schools and prepare you for your interviews.

Call us on 0800 389 2500 to find out more.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Dan

Quick Reply