The Student Room Group

Brexit has cost us close to the 47 years combined payments

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Wired_1800
We leave by December, but i know it is not a guarantee.

By December?

Not on 1st Jan 2021?
Original post by Quady
By December?

Not on 1st Jan 2021?

Johnson said by December.
Reply 42
Johnson said by December.

Great news, where'd you hear that?
Original post by Quady
Great news, where'd you hear that?

News. UK Transition period ends December 2020.
Reply 44
News. UK Transition period ends December 2020.

I googled that. This was the first link
https://www.gov.uk/transition

The transition period
There is now a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.

New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021.

Are you sure he didn't mean it ends 31st Dec...? As opposed to by Dec....?
Original post by Quady
I googled that. This was the first link
https://www.gov.uk/transition

The transition period
There is now a transition period until the end of 2020 while the UK and EU negotiate additional arrangements.

The current rules on trade, travel, and business for the UK and EU will continue to apply during the transition period.

New rules will take effect on 1 January 2021.

Are you sure he didn't mean it ends 31st Dec...? As opposed to by Dec....?

By December means that Jan 2021 the UK will be a different place.
Reply 46
By December means that Jan 2021 the UK will be a different place.

No.

By December means by the time December arrives, ie 1st Dec. Not Jan 2021. That's be 'by 2021' or 'by January'.

It's seriously ridiculous we've not left yet.
well i can say that there has been widespread increases in basic food costs at the Supermarket beginning with T.... things that cost £1 before Christmas now cost £1.10 or £1.20.

is this to do with Brexit ? you decide. :h:
Enough of this rubbish. The UK has left the EU. Stop blasting the UK, instead let’s work to make Brexit a success.

Priti Patel also says what you have just said and the Daily Mail agrees very much!

Populism and bull**** as Brexit is a disasterous choice and regardless of whether we choose to work together or compromise our positions, the results are predetermined: Misery & Poverty for the working class. Likewise for the middle classes
Yet, when the UK paid the membership fee. We didn't get a refund when we recieved money e.g. When someone got an EU grant for ...... That could have been Germany's money.
We should stop complaining about the membership fee. EU tries it best give to back much as possible.
We could have even gotten more than we paid in.
Original post by Lucifer323
Priti Patel also says what you have just said and the Daily Mail agrees very much!

Populism and bull**** as Brexit is a disasterous choice and regardless of whether we choose to work together or compromise our positions, the results are predetermined: Misery & Poverty for the working class. Likewise for the middle classes

We are out. We need your as an ally and not a distraction.
Original post by Quady
No.

By December means by the time December arrives, ie 1st Dec. Not Jan 2021. That's be 'by 2021' or 'by January'.

It's seriously ridiculous we've not left yet.

I don't think so, i think “by December” means anytime during December.

We should have left with No deal then. Was that what you wanted?
Reply 52
I don't think so, i think “by December” means anytime during December.

Fair enough. Even by that definition it doesn't happen. It happens in January 2021.
Original post by Quady
Fair enough. Even by that definition it doesn't happen. It happens in January 2021.

Fair enough.
Reply 54
Original post by Burton Bridge
How do you define troll, someone who disagrees with you and you cant defeat :confused:

BTW I can back my claims up, can you? Still waiting to clarifications on both your wild accusations today. That's this this great big whopping lie "of Brexit has cost us close to the 47 years combined payments" and "Farmers will are 25% worst off due to brexit"

You are pulling figures out your backside, like George Osborne did.

Total net cost of contributions to EU/EEC from 1973 to 2020 (est) adjusted for inflation is £215 billion.

£215 billion contribution to EU.png

Bloomberg Economics analysis finds the hit to GDP after the referendum to end 2020 is £200 billion (and this is roughly in line with BoE analysis too).
£200bn hit to economy.png

As to "Farmers will are 25% worst off due to brexit" - that's the reduction in subsidy compared to the previous EU CAP payment.

It applies to some but not all in England.
e.g. Small farms won't be hit as hard.
Scotland, Wales & NI payment schemes are TBC:
Screenshot 2020-02-26 at 23.12.50.jpg

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/farm-policy/defra-confirms-reductions-in-support-for-farmers
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 55
Original post by Doones
adjusted for inflation is £215 billion.

Why adjusted for inflation when compared against GDP? Surely should be adjusted against change in GDP. Or does that give the wrong answer lol.
They need to nominate you for the Nobel Prize with such analytic skills!!!
How did you come up with this ?! Have you come to this conclusion on your own or you had help from colleagues?

Is just impressive!!!
Reply 57
Original post by Doones

As to "Farmers will are 25% worst off due to brexit" - that's the reduction in subsidy compared to the previous EU CAP payment.

It applies to some but not all in England.
e.g. Small farms won't be hit as hard.
Scotland, Wales & NI payment schemes are TBC:

Good?

I wish they were unsubsidised.
Reply 58
@Burton Bridge it's worth noting Vote Leave promised farm subsidies would at least match EU CAP payments, not be reduced.

DsTtVbBXgAEpTO_.jpg

And the Bloomberg GDP analysis is for the period following the Referendum when we are still in the EU or in Transition. i.e. we haven't even left yet but still Brexit has had a significant negative impact.
Reply 59
Original post by Doones
@Burton Bridge it's worth noting Vote Leave promised farm subsidies would at least match EU CAP payments, not be reduced.

DsTtVbBXgAEpTO_.jpg

And the Bloomberg GDP analysis is for the period following the Referendum when we are still in the EU or in Transition. i.e. we haven't even left yet but still Brexit has had a significant negative impact.

Aye, but since Vote Leave wasnt/isnt our government. What Vote said had no substance.

Dan has no counterfactual.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending