The Student Room Group

clonazepam

how do I convince my gp to prescribe it to me for daily panic attacks? panic attacks are and have ruined my life

Scroll to see replies

Bump
Original post by PatriciaBright
how do I convince my gp to prescribe it to me for daily panic attacks? panic attacks are and have ruined my life

You won’t be able to convince him. There’s no way a NHS gp will give you daily clonazepam. You might be able to get propranolol or a short course of diazepam. I don’t even think that a nhs psychiatrist would do it either.
Original post by Sabertooth
You won’t be able to convince him. There’s no way a NHS gp will give you daily clonazepam. You might be able to get propranolol or a short course of diazepam. I don’t even think that a nhs psychiatrist would do it either.

sorry i meant anxiety attacks. why don't the gp give medication to people with daily anxiety attacks if therapy doesn't work? it ruins peoples lives.
sorry i meant anxiety attacks. why don't the gp give medication to people with daily anxiety attacks if therapy doesn't work? it ruins peoples lives.

They don't give benzos because they are highly addictive and cause problems in the long run. They do give other meds though. You need to go back to the GP.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by black tea
They don't give benzos because that are highly addictive and cause problems in the long run. They do give other meds though. You need to go back to the GP.

They've given me same medications that are used for depression which do nothing for my terribly bad chest anxiety pains! Why aren't there ones specific to anxiety that they can give?
They've given me same medications that are used for depression which do nothing for my terribly bad chest anxiety pains! Why aren't there ones specific to anxiety that they can give?

Because antidepressants are used for lots of different reasons, including anxiety.
Are there any places to get benzos on the regular without having to go through a GP? Mine won't prescribe me them. Or anyway to get them prescribed?
Because antidepressants are used for lots of different reasons, including anxiety.

but there should be one that helps specifically for anxiety. and honestly, if i don't get any medication for it, something really bad is gonna happen to me.
Original post by Anonymous
Are there any places to get benzos on the regular without having to go through a GP? Mine won't prescribe me them. Or anyway to get them prescribed?

a private gp. but how sad is it that you could pay 500 a month for it.
a private gp. but how sad is it that you could pay 500 a month for it.

What? That much?
What about over the Internet? Is that a possibility?
but there should be one that helps specifically for anxiety. and honestly, if i don't get any medication for it, something really bad is gonna happen to me.

I would raise these concerns with your doctor.
I would raise these concerns with your doctor.

i have done, a thousand times. but it seems those with anxiety disorder aren't seen as a priority. when it affects people physically and mentally.
Original post by Anonymous
What? That much?
What about over the Internet? Is that a possibility?

no idea

Klonopin is a benzodiazepine, these are extremely addictive drugs and you will not be able to get a prescription for one long term on the nhs. Have you tried propranolol?

I've actually been taking klonopin for 3 years now and it helps me so much. But I live in the US where doctors are a lot more laissez faire with these things. Nhs no way.
Klonopin is a benzodiazepine, these are extremely addictive drugs and you will not be able to get a prescription for one long term on the nhs. Have you tried propranolol?

I've actually been taking klonopin for 3 years now and it helps me so much. But I live in the US where doctors are a lot more laissez faire with these things. Nhs no way.

Isn’t it like £500 a month though
Isn’t it like £500 a month though

Why would it be 500 a month? It's old and its patent is expired so a generic is available. I pay $3.50 for a month's supply.
Why would it be 500 a month? It's old and its patent is expired so a generic is available. I pay $3.50 for a month's supply.

That’s what another user said. From a private gp. 3.50? Are you being serious? That’s so cheap. Why it so expensive in the uk?
That’s what another user said. From a private gp. 3.50? Are you being serious? That’s so cheap. Why it so expensive in the uk?

I think the other user was talking about buying it illegally on the internet. Or how much it'd cost to have an appointment with a private psychiatrist to ask them to prescribe. But it is an old, very cheap medication so no way would it cost 500 pounds for a month's supply legally. I see my psychiatrist monthly for $20 per appointment and he prescribes me klonopin. Good luck getting an appointment with a NHS psychiatrist.

Out of curiosity, what made you decide klonopin was right for you? There are a fair few benzos as well as other classes of drugs that might help. So why this one?

What makes you think a private GP will prescribe it? They are still doctors and should act in the best interest of the patient, not just do what you tell them to.

Quick Reply

Latest