The Student Room Group

Breakup...

I was dating my girlfriend for about 2 years, she broke up with me 3 months ago due to her life getting harder (education, family problems...) and the long distance did not make it any easier.

I keep feeling worse and worse day by day, I'm confused as why has all that happened so quickly like I don't know what to do or think anymore.

I keep myself busy with gym, family, education etc but it doesnt help especially when its night time. I cant sleep properly anymore. Even harmed myself a couple of times which I regret so much due to the scars it left behind which will always remind me of her.

I don't even why I'm making this thread to be honest I don't know what I'm doing anymore. Has anyone went through something similar to this? If so then please tell me about it. Any help is appreciated, thank you and sorry.

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I went through the same thing. The breakup with my ex boyfriend really made my mental health take a turn for the worst. But I’m recovering and I think my scars will heal and not be visible
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Yeah I went through the same thing. The breakup with my ex boyfriend really made my mental health take a turn for the worst. But I’m recovering and I think my scars will heal and not be visible

I don't think mine will disappear completely. How long has it been since the breakup?
I don't think mine will disappear completely. How long has it been since the breakup?

4 months for me
I think it roughly takes a year or more to completely recover from the breakup and forget about her if you love her very much. You can only wait for time goes by and try not to think about/contact her. Also try to do things that make you happy (e.g a good shower, a good meal, a good game)! I’ve been in the same situation before and you will realise that breaking up is the most reasonable decision after a few months.
Reply 5
4 months for me

We went though a similar thing on the same time
Reply 6
Original post by chungls123
I think it roughly takes a year or more to completely recover from the breakup and forget about her if you love her very much. You can only wait for time goes by and try not to think about/contact her. Also try to do things that make you happy (e.g a good shower, a good meal, a good game)! I’ve been in the same situation before and you will realise that breaking up is the most reasonable decision after a few months.

Thank you
Original post by chungls123

agreed if u love her then let her go and try hang out with ur friends and do something else to distract urself
I'm so sorry to hear about your break ups (referring to the two anonymous posters above). I have been in a relationship in the past where I was deeply in love with that person and then we ended up breaking up all of sudden. It hurt a lot, so much so that I didn't feel that anyone else understood the amount of heart break I was going through but I was really wrong. There are many people who have gone through this and I would say please stop harming yourself, there is so much more to live for in life and so much to learn and invest your time in. I really hope you'll look back on this experience, when you're doing so well in your life in the future and realise that this was an experience that helped you grow and you learned a lot about yourself form it.

I really want to highlight to you that things will 100% get better and it starts with you. Give yourself time to grieve right now but also do things to improve your well being and focus your time and energy on yourself and your personal development. Devote your time to friends and family, read a new book, start a brand new TV show before bed time and build a new daily routine.

I look back on that experience now and I always wished I did more for myself, rather than trying to change things that were out of my control. You can't control people's feelings and actions but you can take control of your own actions and do things to make yourself feel better and make you happier.
I was dating my girlfriend for about 2 years, she broke up with me 3 months ago due to her life getting harder (education, family problems...) and the long distance did not make it any easier.

I keep feeling worse and worse day by day, I'm confused as why has all that happened so quickly like I don't know what to do or think anymore.

I keep myself busy with gym, family, education etc but it doesnt help especially when its night time. I cant sleep properly anymore. Even harmed myself a couple of times which I regret so much due to the scars it left behind which will always remind me of her.

I don't even why I'm making this thread to be honest I don't know what I'm doing anymore. Has anyone went through something similar to this? If so then please tell me about it. Any help is appreciated, thank you and sorry.

don't stress it broski, people are horrible and you should not talk to them. find someone better. you're worth it <3
Original post by hanna786
agreed if u love her then let her go and try hang out with ur friends and do something else to distract urself

I love her to death. All I ever wanted was to be with her. All this didn't need to happen.
I'm so sorry to hear about your break ups (referring to the two anonymous posters above). I have been in a relationship in the past where I was deeply in love with that person and then we ended up breaking up all of sudden. It hurt a lot, so much so that I didn't feel that anyone else understood the amount of heart break I was going through but I was really wrong. There are many people who have gone through this and I would say please stop harming yourself, there is so much more to live for in life and so much to learn and invest your time in. I really hope you'll look back on this experience, when you're doing so well in your life in the future and realise that this was an experience that helped you grow and you learned a lot about yourself form it.

I really want to highlight to you that things will 100% get better and it starts with you. Give yourself time to grieve right now but also do things to improve your well being and focus your time and energy on yourself and your personal development. Devote your time to friends and family, read a new book, start a brand new TV show before bed time and build a new daily routine.

I look back on that experience now and I always wished I did more for myself, rather than trying to change things that were out of my control. You can't control people's feelings and actions but you can take control of your own actions and do things to make yourself feel better and make you happier.

Starting a tv show before bed time sounds like a good idea, might try that, hopefully then I will be able to fall asleep properly. Thann you.
Thank you everyone

Hey. I pray it gets better for you. I know how much it hurts. I liked this guy for a long time and so did he. But timing always got in the way and due to our values we never gave into our feelings. Finally at age 20, we were still in each other’s lives. In our values, religious values, you should only be with someone when it’s serious. We knew after all this time we were something special. We gave it a shot. Went on dates, it was amazing. Actually, it was perfect. I was really beginning to fall in love with him. I think I really did. But out of nowhere, he decided ‘maybe we should be friends and see what happens in the future.’ It’s like all he ever wanted was me and now that he finally had me, he didn’t want me? I knew he liked me a lot but clearly not enough to get into a relationship with me? I cut off all communication, I was hurt. 6 months later in the Summer of last year I reflected what I did. I still had feelings all that time so I texted him. Got back into his life. It’s like now I was too available for him so he didn’t make much effort with me. So I confronted him. Do you ever want to be with me or not. ‘I don’t know’. His answer to everything. Well we both decided, well I decided I need to get over this, get over him. He agreed and I haven’t spoken to him since. In all honesty, I wish I never met him. I really wish that. It’s been 5 months since Summer ended, and yet I’m still here in my first year of university still thinking about him. God I can’t wait for the day I’m over that guy. After a while of feeling hurt, that turns into anger and then it’s somewhat a cycle until eventually, your brain decides it’s too much, let’s end this cycle and forgot those memories! Well I hope that day comes for me soon
Hey. I pray it gets better for you. I know how much it hurts. I liked this guy for a long time and so did he. But timing always got in the way and due to our values we never gave into our feelings. Finally at age 20, we were still in each other’s lives. In our values, religious values, you should only be with someone when it’s serious. We knew after all this time we were something special. We gave it a shot. Went on dates, it was amazing. Actually, it was perfect. I was really beginning to fall in love with him. I think I really did. But out of nowhere, he decided ‘maybe we should be friends and see what happens in the future.’ It’s like all he ever wanted was me and now that he finally had me, he didn’t want me? I knew he liked me a lot but clearly not enough to get into a relationship with me? I cut off all communication, I was hurt. 6 months later in the Summer of last year I reflected what I did. I still had feelings all that time so I texted him. Got back into his life. It’s like now I was too available for him so he didn’t make much effort with me. So I confronted him. Do you ever want to be with me or not. ‘I don’t know’. His answer to everything. Well we both decided, well I decided I need to get over this, get over him. He agreed and I haven’t spoken to him since. In all honesty, I wish I never met him. I really wish that. It’s been 5 months since Summer ended, and yet I’m still here in my first year of university still thinking about him. God I can’t wait for the day I’m over that guy. After a while of feeling hurt, that turns into anger and then it’s somewhat a cycle until eventually, your brain decides it’s too much, let’s end this cycle and forgot those memories! Well I hope that day comes for me soon

I really hope it comes sooner than I think cuz I don't know how much more of this I can take.

So you are over that guy?
So you are over that guy?

Sadly nope, not yet but I hope to be soon :smile: optimism is key lol
Sadly nope, not yet but I hope to be soon :smile: optimism is key lol

Let's race ;p who gets over their ez first wins
Let's race ;p who gets over their ez first wins

ex*
ex*