The Student Room Group

Have your say: Predicted grades could be scrapped under admissions review

Here's where you can post a comment about our Predicted grades could be scrapped under admissions review article.

Read the full Predicted grades could be scrapped under admissions review article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes.
Good

Predicted grades are nonsense and shouldn't be used to make offers.
That doesn't mean we need to move to PQA.
yes predicted grades are the most pointless thing in lower education, they are neither accurate nor useful.
everything else in the application (process) should stay the same though, i believe.
Reply 4
It makes more sense to apply AFTER you got your grades, I never understood this British thing of applying with "predicted grades" as if they were fortune telling
Original post by tam13
Here's where you can post a comment about our Predicted grades could be scrapped under admissions review article.

Read the full Predicted grades could be scrapped under admissions review article and join in the discussion by posting a message below.

HOORAY hope they scrap this predicted grade nonsense by the time I go to uni in 2022-2023. The current system is awful especially considering the fact that most/all A-levels are now linear
Yeah predicted grades are quite dumb.
Exactly. Some schools are very 'generous' (as in very) with their predictions and it really isn't fair for students who go to schools where predicted grades are given 'realistically'.
So getting in to uni is going to be purely grades-based if they scrap personal statements too? Would this also occur in highly competitive courses such as medicine where the PS is used to narrow down the pool of applicants to those being invited to interview?

I also feel like if they do move to this, they should aim to bring results day forward because if results go out in August and university offers are only made at the end of August, it cuts it a bit too fine for students if the turnaround between offers and moving in is only a few weeks.
I agree predicted grades don't really have much merit and aren't a particularly useful thing to know, but I think the system will need quite a few changes for it to be a successful transition.
Original post by 1st superstar
HOORAY hope they scrap this predicted grade nonsense by the time I go to uni in 2022-2023. The current system is awful especially considering the fact that most/all A-levels are now linear

I thought you were in year 13 lol
I'm all for this. At my college, for those of us doing more traditional subjects, we're only predicted what we get in our mocks at the end of the first year, whereas people doing subjects like sociology are predicted up to 4 grades higher.
Original post by boods8897
So getting in to uni is going to be purely grades-based if they scrap personal statements too? Would this also occur in highly competitive courses such as medicine where the PS is used to narrow down the pool of applicants to those being invited to interview?

I also feel like if they do move to this, they should aim to bring results day forward because if results go out in August and university offers are only made at the end of August, it cuts it a bit too fine for students if the turnaround between offers and moving in is only a few weeks.
I agree predicted grades don't really have much merit and aren't a particularly useful thing to know, but I think the system will need quite a few changes for it to be a successful transition.

No medicine courses use the PS for shortlisting anymore
Original post by PQ
No medicine courses use the PS for shortlisting anymore

Oh fair enough, I applied in 2014 so it's been a while. What do they use instead? Just predicted grades?
Original post by boods8897
Oh fair enough, I applied in 2014 so it's been a while. What do they use instead? Just predicted grades?

the UCAT test
Original post by Law-yer
I thought you were in year 13 lol

nah in year 12 but want to take a gap year
Original post by PQ
Good

Predicted grades are nonsense and shouldn't be used to make offers.
That doesn't mean we need to move to PQA.

I agree maybe if mocks were also standardised (e.g every OCR A bio student in the country does the same mock paper) and had official grade boundaries etc then they would be slightly more accurate!
It's not as far ranging as it pretends - they're focusing on perceptions rather than any concrete changes (because admissions are outside the remit of the OfS and the government) https://wonkhe.com/blogs/admit-two-the-ofs-reviews-university-admissions/
my biggest wants:
scrap unconditional offers
don't do offers based on work experience, extra curricular activities (i am able to explain why)
don't make an offer based on predicted grades!!
I think the computer predicted grades were the worst. Told me I would get CEEE. Just what I needed to be told when I was a very depressed teenager...... Not.
Original post by 1st superstar
nah in year 12 but want to take a gap year

oh nice.

What do you want to study and why the gap year? Just curious lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending