The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Cov or Derby

I've got unconditional offers from both Uni's, and their courses are pretty much the same. I wanna drive my car to Uni, so I know Derby will allow parking (at a price) but I know Coventry wont. I'm really confused at this point - considering the accommodations are equally as good. I got the feel for Coventry but Derby offers better opportunities and allows for me to park my car. Help??? I know Coventry is really good for night life - but I don't know much about Derby nightlife.
Original post by martinaaa.xx
I've got unconditional offers from both Uni's, and their courses are pretty much the same. I wanna drive my car to Uni, so I know Derby will allow parking (at a price) but I know Coventry wont. I'm really confused at this point - considering the accommodations are equally as good. I got the feel for Coventry but Derby offers better opportunities and allows for me to park my car. Help??? I know Coventry is really good for night life - but I don't know much about Derby nightlife.

Hello,

It's great to hear that you are considering Coventry University as one of your options!

I understand the initial worry of not having a car. However, as everything is so close and Coventry has excellent connections via train and coach to the rest of the country, you really don't need a car while you are here at university (especially not in your first year).

However, if you are set on bringing your car to university, there are multiple accommodation options available, some of which do offer parking here at Coventry University. One example of this is Singer Halls, where a permit costs £250 for the year and is offered to residents of Singer Halls first. Please contact the University's Accommodation Team for more information https://www.futurelets.co.uk/

If you require anymore information, please just ask

Charlotte,
4th-Year Geography Student
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

Hi @martinaaa.xx,

Ultimately you should try and decide it on where feels 'right' for you, and don't let your car be a limitation on that.

If you want to get to know a bit more about Derby, our city page can help show you around. Here's our video on student life:

And here are our top 5 places you might want to go if you're a bit of a 'night owl':

Good luck making your choice!
^Ryan
(edited 4 years ago)

Following on from what Charlotte has mentioned, almost all students don't bring their car to Uni in first as being in the city means that you have access to everything pretty much within distance that you don't need your car. If anything, you're best waiting till 2nd year, where, if you're lucky enough you can apply for a free parking permit depending on which agency/landlord you're with as opposed to paying x amount.

Thanks,

Veronica
Dietetics and Human Nutrition Student

Quick Reply

Latest