The Student Room Group

A level chemistry-organic chemistry

Why is (F) an amide only? Why can't (H) form an ester with the OH group on G instead of the NH2 group on (G)? Help would be highly appreciated! :smile:
Screenshot_20200225-092434__01.jpgScreenshot_20200225-092502__01.jpg
Reply 1
F is an amide because there's a CONH group :smile: , H can form an ester with G but thats not in the question hope that helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nsenyurt
F is an amide because there's a CONH group :smile: , H can form an ester with G but thats not in the question hope that helps :smile:

How do you know there's a CONH group in F? :frown:

Even the atoms add up to be the same in the ester and amide (C8H15NO3). Where in the question does it indicate F forms an amide and not an ester linkage?
Reply 3
Original post by cruduxcruo9
How do you know there's a CONH group in F? :frown:

Even the atoms add up to be the same in the ester and amide (C8H15NO3). Where in the question does it indicate F forms an amide and not an ester linkage?

F doesnt form an amide it is an amide
Reply 4
F doesnt form an amide it is an amide

Sorry. I'll reword my question

How do you know F is an amide? What is the hint?
Reply 5
@Pigster would really appreciate some help here.

My question is, how do you know when H reacts with G, it forms and amide and not an ester? (The structures are given below). In other words, why is F necessarily an amide?
Reply 6
Sorry. I'll reword my question

How do you know F is an amide? What is the hint?

there's a conh attached
Reply 7
there's a conh attached

C8H15NO3 is all we know of F. It can also be deduced as NH2 and COOC from this detail. :frown:
Reply 8
C8H15NO3 is all we know of F. It can also be deduced as NH2 and COOC from this detail. :frown:

theres no cooc , look closely at the middle of the chain theres an NH and next to it is CO , this forms an amide linkage
Reply 9
theres no cooc , look closely at the middle of the chain theres an NH and next to it is CO , this forms an amide linkage

You're looking at the answer to deduce it's an amide. The skeletal formulas given below is actually the mark scheme attached.

Quick Reply

Latest