The Student Room Group

My À-level subjects

Hello everyone, I am currently in year 11 about to do my GCSE'S and I just wanted to enquire about which alevel out of goverment and politics or psychology is more respected and interesting (mostly about which is more respected though).
My current options I have chosen are:
-English literature
-geography
-psychology
However, I am thinking about changing psychology to goverment and politics or maybe even either economics(which I do. Not currently study for GCSE'S btw) or biology( which I'm not amazing at, but OK) .
If anyone does any of these subjects (particularly politics) could you let me know more about them. As I'm not entirely sure what career or degree I'd like to pursue in the future and Im trying to keep my options as open as possible.
Thanks in advance:smile: 😊
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lt1.london
Hello everyone, I am currently in year 11 about to do my GCSE'S and I just wanted to enquire about which alevel out of goverment and politics or psychology is more respected and interesting (mostly about which is more respected though).
-English literature
-geography
-psychology
However, I am thinking about changing psychology to goverment and politics or maybe even either economics(which I do. Not currently study for GCSE'S btw) or biology( which I'm not amazing at, but OK) .
If anyone does any of these subjects (particularly politics) could you let me know more about them. As I'm not entirely sure what career or degree I'd like to pursue in the future and Im trying to keep my options as open as possible.

They are all respected and on most university's preferred subject lists. The question you need to decide is which you would prefer and which could you achieve the highest grades in. Unless you are looking to study medicine which would require Chemistry or things like Nursing I would avoid Biology given your comments. It seems like you prefer essay subjects and government and politics might be worth seriously looking at.
-English literature
-geography
-psychology

You can look at the specification for each subject online, or you can skim the textbooks and ask teachers to get an idea for the content of each subject. It is better to choose a subject which is a good fit for you. I can't speak for the other subjects on your list, but Biology is pretty hard at A level. You really need to study hard to get a good grade in it. It is a huge step up from GCSEs ( especially under the new specification). I wouldn't take it just for the sake of taking a hard a level.
-English literature
-geography
-psychology

Im doing lit and psychology too. Theres sooo much to it all... I'm already exhausted!
I did psychology for a week and changed to politics, i dropped it at the end of last year because i preferred my other 3 more, but i actually really enjoyed it, i found it hard to drop it tbh
-English literature
-geography
-psychology

Think very carefully before choosing government and politics. On several occasions I've come across schools who encourage their less able students to take this A-level. So you could be viewed like this.
Original post by David Getling
Think very carefully before choosing government and politics. On several occasions I've come across schools who encourage their less able students to take this A-level. So you could be viewed like this.

You are talking absolute rubbish. Government and Politics is widely accepted by universities so OP wont be at a disadvantage taking it. UCL and LSE advise it is one of their preferred subject list on universities dont come much more prestigious than them.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/one
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/entry-requirements/preferred-level-subjects

We consider traditional academic subjects to be the best preparation for studying at LSE. We expect applicants to offer at least two full A-levels or IBDP Higher Levels in these subjects (although typically, applicants will apply with three or four); please see the list below for guidance. Some subjects provide a less effective preparation for study at LSE. We refer to these as non-preferred subjects; please see the list below for guidance. These subjects should only be offered in combination with two traditional academic subjects .Finally, there are a small number of A-levels which are normally excluded from our standard offer; please see the list below. Applicants should offer three full A-levels or equivalent alongside these subjects. Common traditional academic/'generally preferred' subjects:

Ancient History
Biology
Classical Civilisation
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
Electronics
English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)
Further Mathematics*
Geography
Government and Politics
History
Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**
Law
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy
Physics
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sociology
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
You are talking absolute rubbish. Government and Politics is widely accepted by universities so OP wont be at a disadvantage taking it. UCL and LSE advise it is one of their preferred subject list on universities dont come much more prestigious than them.

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Undergraduate/Prospective-Students/How-to-Apply/one
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/application/entry-requirements/preferred-level-subjects

Dude, don't get your knickers in a twist. I'm simply reporting what I've seen happen in a couple of schools around here.
Dude, don't get your knickers in a twist. I'm simply reporting what I've seen happen in a couple of schools around here.

But you are giving false advise. Government and Politics is acceptable for most and I suspect all universities. I trust UCL, LSE, Sheffield and Birmingham's advice before yours and all have Government and Politics in their preferred subject list
But you are giving false advise.

No, to repeat myself (yawn) I'm simply reporting my observations. You getting annoyed about it isn't going to change them. I can't help wondering if you are taking (or took) this A-level:wink:.
No, to repeat myself (yawn) I'm simply reporting my observations. You getting annoyed about it isn't going to change them. I can't help wondering if you are taking (or took) this A-level:wink:.

That makes no sense, its a hard subject, and quite frankly most people doing a levels are able students.
Government and politics, even though i dropped it after as, i honestly loved it and it really helped my understanding in all my other subjects and gave me an insight into things that are currently happening, i think its something everyone should do to be honest
Reply 12
Original post by Jennymachin12
Government and politics, even though i dropped it after as, i honestly loved it and it really helped my understanding in all my other subjects and gave me an insight into things that are currently happening, i think its something everyone should do to be honest

Did you know much about politics in general before studying it for A-levels?
Did you know much about politics in general before studying it for A-levels?

I knew the basics, i knew my opinions but it helped in a way because it gave me facts and knowledge on the political systems and ideologies to help clarify my opinions further

We consider traditional academic subjects to be the best preparation for studying at LSE. We expect applicants to offer at least two full A-levels or IBDP Higher Levels in these subjects (although typically, applicants will apply with three or four); please see the list below for guidance. Some subjects provide a less effective preparation for study at LSE. We refer to these as non-preferred subjects; please see the list below for guidance. These subjects should only be offered in combination with two traditional academic subjects .Finally, there are a small number of A-levels which are normally excluded from our standard offer; please see the list below. Applicants should offer three full A-levels or equivalent alongside these subjects. Common traditional academic/'generally preferred' subjects:

Ancient History
Biology
Classical Civilisation
Chemistry
Computing
Economics
Electronics
English (English Language, English Literature and English Language and Literature)
Further Mathematics*
Geography
Government and Politics
History
Languages: Modern Foreign, Classic and Community**
Law
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy
Physics
Psychology
Religious Studies
Sociology

I am surprised and shocked that Sociology is on the list i agree with all of the others being on the list though

I mean, you gave an observation (which is fair), but it was shown not to be the case that it's not a respected subject which is what you implied.

Quick Reply

Latest