The Student Room Group

Keele A100 2020 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Original post by llamalover99
As a current Keele student who has an offer for medicine I can confirm that Keele is a fab uni! I live locally anyway and there is always plenty to do, and like many have said before Manchester, Liverpool and Birmingham are all within an hour on the train too :smile:

I'll be a graduate when the course starts and am buying my first house at the moment, so anyone wanting info on local areas for living etc I would be more than happy to help; or any questions regarding Keele in general :biggrin:

Which areas would recommend buying a house?
Original post by doctorsingh?
Which areas would recommend buying a house?

That would really depend on what's important to you, whether you're willing to travel and your budget. There are areas of Newcastle which are nice, the Westlands is lovely but tends to come with a price tag, as with some of the villages on the outskirts of Newcastle like Keele village and Betley. Slightly more budget friendly areas around Newcastle that are still nice to live and I have looked at are Silverdale, Woolstanton Madeley and Audley, all are within 15 minutes of Keele.

I currently live in a town called Alsager which is lovely and I would definitely reccomend to live, but is 25 mins from the university and hospital. I have personally bought a house in Cheadle (staffs) as a lot of my family live there and it is much closer to my partners family. This is about 30 mins from Keele. If you're willing to travel a little bit further I would maybe look at areas more on the outskirts of Stoke. As with anywhere though, look on street view before you fall in love with the house!! and if you have a viewing have a good drive around the local area :smile:
That would really depend on what's important to you, whether you're willing to travel and your budget. There are areas of Newcastle which are nice, the Westlands is lovely but tends to come with a price tag, as with some of the villages on the outskirts of Newcastle like Keele village and Betley. Slightly more budget friendly areas around Newcastle that are still nice to live and I have looked at are Silverdale, Woolstanton Madeley and Audley, all are within 15 minutes of Keele.

I currently live in a town called Alsager which is lovely and I would definitely reccomend to live, but is 25 mins from the university and hospital. I have personally bought a house in Cheadle (staffs) as a lot of my family live there and it is much closer to my partners family. This is about 30 mins from Keele. If you're willing to travel a little bit further I would maybe look at areas more on the outskirts of Stoke. As with anywhere though, look on street view before you fall in love with the house!! and if you have a viewing have a good drive around the local area :smile:

Thank you. Really useful. I think we're going to try for somewhere where we can walk rather than use the car
In regards to the people, I am guessing they differ between courses. I have done a dual honours in Human Biology and Psychology and can say that there is real diversity on both courses. There are rarely people sat alone in lectures as there is definitely always someone to get along with. I have definitely found more in second and third years as well that everyone has the same aims so its so easy to work together i.e revision. As with anything you're never going to get on 100% with everyone but generally people are welcoming and friendly because you're all in the same boat at the end of the day. I've also never had any issues with staff either, Keele is number 1 for student satisfaction and I would say that a big part of that is how approachable the staff are. Previously I had the opinion that a lot of university staff wouldn't be as supportive or interested in teaching as they would be too focussed on their research, however I've always received a quick response to my emails, been given support with work when I've needed it and found lectures/tutorials interesting so from that side its great!With Sports we get a Wednesday afternoon off, this is so you have time to take part in sports should you wish. Keele has a wide range of sporting clubs from Rugby to Mountaineering to Quidditch so again there is a sports club for everyone and I think its really good that the university give dedicated time for taking part in sports (you don't have to use it for this if you don't want to). The sports societies tend to be quite close knit, which is nice too. And Wednesday nights is the AU Takeover in the SU. These are always a good laugh, where different teams plan drinks/games before hand and meet up in the SU after - these often include some kind of fancy dress theme!The sports facilities are good, there is a large gym, sports halls, a small climbing wall, athletics track, pitches etc. The only thing that they don't have is a swimming pool, so swimming training has to take place off campus. Also, the SU hire out mini busses to the societies anyway which helps with transport to training or events

thank you that was really interesting :smile:)

are there a lot of people from london there and if so how do they find the difference between city life and keele life
Original post by LuLu67
Can you please expand on that? I was not aware RSUH is renowned for trauma - is that true?

Hi there!

RSUH is a major trauma center for the North West Midlands and North Wales trauma network. The only other major trauma center for this network is Birmingham Childrens hospital! As a student who is currently on placement in RAUH, I can say it’s fantastic!
Thank you. Really useful. I think we're going to try for somewhere where we can walk rather than use the car

Hi there! Have you considered plases like May Bank, Wolstanton, Hartsill etc? They’re all places in Newcastle Under Lyme. I live in May Bank as a single mother and it’s perfect for me and my boy. The town center is in walking distance and it’s not too far from university either so we have the option to walk or drive! Even though it’s close to the centre, it’s still nice and quiet so you don’t get the chaos! Sorry to drop on your post, just thought i’d give you some food for thought! If you have any more questions then please don’t hesitate to ask! :smile:
Original post by iamthestudent
Can you tell me a little about the people at Keele and what the sports are like

Hi there!

Sorry to jump on your post but I just wanted to express how friendly everyone at Keele is! I’ve never spoken to one person who has struggled to make friends since I started there back in 2016 because everyone, staff and students are so approachable. The staff are extremely supportive of students and really do want the best for us! I fell pregnant during my first year or nursing at Keele and the support I got from my personal tutor and lecturers was incredible! There was nothing I couldn’t go to them about. Even the staff in the bars, pubs, library, sports hall and other places around university and warm and friendly! It really is a lovely place to go. I feel they’re more like family than friends!
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
Hi there!

Sorry to jump on your post but I just wanted to express how friendly everyone at Keele is! I’ve never spoken to one person who has struggled to make friends since I started there back in 2016 because everyone, staff and students are so approachable. The staff are extremely supportive of students and really do want the best for us! I fell pregnant during my first year or nursing at Keele and the support I got from my personal tutor and lecturers was incredible! There was nothing I couldn’t go to them about. Even the staff in the bars, pubs, library, sports hall and other places around university and warm and friendly! It really is a lovely place to go. I feel they’re more like family than friends!

This is somewhat both convincing and inspirational. Stay and strong and push on !!
Original post by Ballon D’Or
This is somewhat both convincing and inspirational. Stay and strong and push on !!

Thankyou so much!
Hi there! Have you considered plases like May Bank, Wolstanton, Hartsill etc? They’re all places in Newcastle Under Lyme. I live in May Bank as a single mother and it’s perfect for me and my boy. The town center is in walking distance and it’s not too far from university either so we have the option to walk or drive! Even though it’s close to the centre, it’s still nice and quiet so you don’t get the chaos! Sorry to drop on your post, just thought i’d give you some food for thought! If you have any more questions then please don’t hesitate to ask! :smile:

Thank you. Lots of food for thought!
Thank you. Lots of food for thought!

No problem! If you need anything else then just ask! :smile:
Just to let everyone know. The admissions team have asked that if anyone still hasn’t had an outcome that they can e-mail them directly! :smile:
Hi there!

Awesome that’s super interesting :smile:)

Do you know how ppl find the jump from
busy city/ London life to Keele life
Original post by iamthestudent
Awesome that’s super interesting :smile:)

Do you know how ppl find the jump from
busy city/ London life to Keele life

Hi there! Personally, i’m from a village myself not anywhere near a city so I can’t really comment and the jump wasn’t too big for me! It might be worth starting a thread about it maybe to get other students opinions?
Hiya just got my Keele offer yesterday and I’m so excited as this was my first choice anyone else going to the offer holder day on March the 14th? 😊
Original post by 13thomasal
Hiya just got my Keele offer yesterday and I’m so excited as this was my first choice anyone else going to the offer holder day on March the 14th? 😊

I am too! And it's also my first choice haha. Well done on your offer!
Original post by gilbertemmajo

Thanks so much and Congratulations to you too, you did so well to get an offer. Hopefully see you there!!😊😊
Thanks so much and Congratulations to you too, you did so well to get an offer. Hopefully see you there!!😊😊

I hope so! :smile:

Original post by gilbertemmajo

Hi! Congratulations to you two on your offers! Just wanted to jump on here to let you know that if you have got any questions about Keele, please don't hesitate to ask and I will try and find out for you! :smile:
Hi, does anyone know if Keele will be organising another offer holder day due to the cancelling of yesterday? I know we can book onto the 4th April, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to attend that, and I would really love to come and have another look around

Quick Reply