The Student Room Group

Senior moment... Average Gradient

Came across this question. Confused about why part a is worth 3 marks for a start. More to the point, what does it mean by "Average gradient"?
image-af8b3475-672d-4e04-bced-7884c51480944623468913337653252-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Original post by dextrous63
Came across this question. Confused about why part a is worth 3 marks for a start. More to the point, what does it mean by "Average gradient"?

Sounds to me like finding the average value of a function f(x)f(x) over the domain [a,b][a,b] as 1baabf(x)dx\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{b-a} \int_a^b f(x) dx

Just in this case, it's ff' which we are considering and only for the portion of motion concerning descent, i.e. from t=π2t=\dfrac{\pi}{2} to π\pi
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RDKGames
Sounds to me like finding the average value of a function f(x)f(x) over the domain [a,b][a,b] as 1baabf(x)dx\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{b-a} \int_a^b f(x) dx

Just in this case, it's ff' which we are considering and only for the portion of motion concerning descent, i.e. from π2\dfrac{\pi}{2} to π\pi

...or it could just be the straight line gradient from the maximum point to the axis crossing to the right of it...
Reply 3
Thanks. I'll have a play with it later and get back to you.
Thanks. I'll have a play with it later and get back to you.

And the difference between the two suggestions is....
Reply 5
Original post by ghostwalker
And the difference between the two suggestions is....

None whatsoever. They yield the same correct answer. Thanks.
None whatsoever. They yield the same correct answer. Thanks.

:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by ghostwalker
:smile:

Still a mystery why part (a) is worth 3 marks.
Still a mystery why part (a) is worth 3 marks.

Aye - money for old rope, as they say.

Quick Reply

Latest