The Student Room Group

wtf slave labour in the UK

The job centre are paying me around £40 a week because I live with my parents, I am expected to do an upaid work experience for 6 weeks working 30 hours a week at Morrisions, the only thing they will pay for is my bus ticket. From what I have googled many people who have done these unpaid labour it is just stacking shelves and doing actual work, most of these companies don't even bother employing the slaves after the end of their work placement just get another batch of slaves from the job centre to do free work.

This is so ****ing bull****, would it be worth doing the unpaid work just to get experience so I can actually find a full time job or just stopping my benefits all together, I am not happy with working 30 hours a week for £40 and would probably just purposely sabotage the company or some ****, put the products in the wrong place, not turn up etc
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by iornfist98
The job centre are paying me around £40 a week because I live with my parents, I am expected to do an upaid work experience for 6 weeks working 30 hours a week at Morrisions or Homelet, the only thing they will pay for is my bus ticket. From what I have googled many people who have done these unpaid labour it is just stacking shelves and doing actual work, most of these companies don't even bother employing the slaves after the end of their work placement just get another batch of slaves from the job centre to do free work.

This is so ****ing bull****, would it be worth doing the unpaid work just to get experience so I can actually find a full time job or just stopping my benefits all together, I am not happy with working 30 hours a week for £40 and would probably just purposely sabotage the company or some ****, put the products in the wrong place, not turn up etc

The job centre aren't 'paying' you anything, because you don't work. It's a handout, funded by taxpayers like me.

I dislike paying for layabouts. Go to work like the rest of us.
Reply 2
Original post by Reality Check
The job centre aren't 'paying' you anything, because you don't work. It's a handout.

I am expected to work 30 hours a week for a measly £40 a week 'handout'
do u think this is fair?
would you work 30 hours a week for £40?
I am expected to work 30 hours a week for a measly £40 a week 'handout'
do u think this is fair?

Do you think it's fair that you should be given £40 for doing sweet all week?

would you work 30 hours a week for £40?

I don't need to, because I worked hard and make a success out of my life. You could do the same, if you pulled your finger out. It's all about choices, mate.
If you don't want to do it then don't do it.
By far the best way out of this crappy situation is to get a job, which is so much easier when you're already working somewhere.
Reply 6
Do you think it's fair that you should be given £40 for doing sweet fanny ****s all week?

I don't need to, because I worked hard and make a success out of my life. You could do the same, if you pulled your finger out. It's all about choices, mate.

there is a minimum wage for a reason, it so people can get paid a fair living allowance for the work they do. No one cares how hard you worked, especially considering most of success is just based largely on socioeconomic areas, do you know how many people from my secondary school went to Oxbridge? One who was three years younger than me, no one in my year. Everyone who went to my secondary school simply chose to have a third rate education and be born in poverty.
Reply 7
hope you're trolling.

maybe just get a job.
Reply 8
Original post by StriderHort
By far the best way out of this crappy situation is to get a job, which is so much easier when you're already working somewhere.

I am already volunteering at a charity shop and have volunteered for three months at a homeless charity previously. I apply to around 20 new job positing a day. I have had people working in professional careers and also Russell group universities help with my CV, I have approached people to help practice interview skills with. People just assume I'm lazy because I am on benefits. You know nothing about me.
Reply 9
Original post by Joleee
hope you're trolling.

maybe just get a job.

How?

I have been rejected from Mcdonalds, Sainsbury's, KFC, Next, Morrisions, B&Q... the list goes on.
there is a minimum wage for a reason, it so people can get paid a fair living allowance for the work they do.

The clue is in the word 'work'. You choose not to work.

do you know how many people from my secondary school went to Oxbridge?

You don't need to 'go to Oxbridge' to make a success of your life. The overwhelming majority of the country haven't been to Oxbridge, but they're not all on the dole.

I could get you a job tomorrow morning if you actually wanted one. So could you. It might not be the MD of John Lewis, but an entry level job, done well, leads to a slightly better job with more pay...which leads to a better job again. And, out of interest, the latest MD of John Lewis actually did start on the shop floor.

As I said, it's about choices. Not about making excuses for the position you find yourself in life, and blaming socioeconomics, poor schooling etc etc. You want you life to be different? Change it.
Reply 11
The clue is in the word 'work'. You choose not to work.

You don't need to 'go to Oxbridge' to make a success of your life. The overwhelming majority of the country haven't been to Oxbridge, but they're not all on the dole.

I could get you a job tomorrow morning if you actually wanted one. So could you. It might not be the MD of John Lewis, but an entry level job, done well, leads to a slightly better job with more pay...which leads to a better job again. And, out of interest, the latest MD of John Lewis actually did start on the shop floor.

As I said, it's about choices. Not about making excuses for the position you find yourself in life, and blaming socioeconomics, poor schooling etc etc. You want you life to be different? Change it.

Dm me, I am serious I want a job. I have been applying everywhere... I mean fast food, restaurants, supermarkets and having no luck. If you are sure you could get me a job then why don't you help me?
You know nothing about me.

I didn't say anything about you,
If you are sure you could get me a job then why don't you help me?

Because why don't you help yourself? If I can be sure that you could get a job, then you don't need me to help you. You need to do it yourself You're a man - you can help yourself and develop some self-esteem and pride in yourself. If you get some rejections, keep going.

You can get a job. There are so many unfilled positions in this country at the moment. So go do it, prove other people wrong and make your life better. :smile:
Reply 14
How?

I have been rejected from Mcdonalds, Sainsbury's, KFC, Next, Morrisions, B&Q... the list goes on.

why have you been rejected? i assume you're doing the same mistake over and over and over again (?).

my first job was at McDonalds, proudly. do you need advice on how to 'get in'? are you showing up at the store? do you look like a respectable person someone would want to hire? did you talk to the manager? is your availability open or do you only want to work selective hours? (i'll tell you right now, if you can only work certain hours your application will be destroyed).
Original post by Joleee
why have you been rejected? i assume you're doing the same mistake over and over and over again (?).

my first job was at McDonalds, proudly. do you need advice on how to 'get in'? are you showing up at the store? do you look like a respectable person someone would want to hire? did you talk to the manager? is your availability open or do you only want to work selective hours? (i'll tell you right now, if you can only work certain hours your application will be destroyed).

I think you were right the 1st time.
Reply 16
The job centre aren't 'paying' you anything, because you don't work. It's a handout, funded by taxpayers like me.

I dislike paying for layabouts. Go to work like the rest of us.

:congrats::congrats::congrats:
Reply 17
The job centre are paying me around £40 a week because I live with my parents, I am expected to do an upaid work experience for 6 weeks working 30 hours a week at Morrisions, the only thing they will pay for is my bus ticket. From what I have googled many people who have done these unpaid labour it is just stacking shelves and doing actual work, most of these companies don't even bother employing the slaves after the end of their work placement just get another batch of slaves from the job centre to do free work.

£40 for 30 hours a week is taking the piss,... but then again you have been receiving £40 for nothing for quite some time now, so it balances out I guess.

In the past when I was on JSA I got sent on a forced work experience once. I didn't like it, ...but at the end of the day I made a decision to do it or my money would get stopped. It was supposed to be an admin position, but when we got there the woman just made us sit in a room and copy out typed forms into handwritten forms ..................for 4 weeks!

That is ALL we did for 4 weeks. It was SOOOOO boring. We got to sit in a room with a TV though, and they never really set quotas on how much work you needed to copy out so it wasn't too bad in terms of work. I mean, lets be honest ... no ones going to actually pay a person to do that work, it's too easy.
Reply 18
Original post by ANM775
£40 for 30 hours a week is taking the piss,... but then again you have been receiving £40 for nothing for quite some time now, so it balances out I guess.

In the past when I was on JSA I got sent on a forced work experience once. I didn't like it, ...but at the end of the day I made a decision to do it or my money would get stopped. It was supposed to be an admin position, but when we got there the woman just made us sit in a room and copy out typed forms into handwritten forms ..................for 4 weeks!

That is ALL we did for 4 weeks. It was SOOOOO boring. We got to sit in a room with a TV though, and they never really set quotas on how much work you needed to copy out so it wasn't too bad in terms of work. I mean, lets be honest ... no ones going to actually pay a person to do that work, it's too easy.

I have been on benefits for three weeks, applied for hundreds of jobs, done voluntary work at a charity shop had one in person interview, two video interviews and one phone interview

Sign off , then.
Its normal for such big employers to give you an interview after.
Alternatively sort out some vol experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending