The Student Room Group

Contact lenses help

Hi, what contact lenses should I get. IDEALLY I prefer contact lenses with lots of oxygen as it is safer.

There is the acuvue oasys eye expert silk contact lenses. The DK/T (OXYGEN LEVELS) ARE 147 and they are £60 for 3 months. Disposables. Around £260 a year.

Other contact lens are
The gas permeable icon optimum extreme, don't know the DK/T levels on this, so if you guys know pls pls let me know :smile: they are only 1 pair for a year and costs £110. They're stronger than normal contact lenses/ material is different and will cause discomfort but Im not too fussy about it.

WHAT do you guys think let me know please :smile: thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, what contact lenses should I get. IDEALLY I prefer contact lenses with lots of oxygen as it is safer.

There is the acuvue oasys eye expert silk contact lenses. The DK/T (OXYGEN LEVELS) ARE 147 and they are £60 for 3 months. Disposables. Around £260 a year.

Other contact lens are
The gas permeable icon optimum extreme, don't know the DK/T levels on this, so if you guys know pls pls let me know :smile: they are only 1 pair for a year and costs £110. They're stronger than normal contact lenses/ material is different and will cause discomfort but Im not too fussy about it.

WHAT do you guys think let me know please :smile: thank you

do you actually know your base curve, diameter etc.?
Both those lenses should be good, it depends on what you want.
I personally think that gas permeable lenses are more comfortable once you get used to them, especially if you spend a lot of time in places with air con, or have dry eyes. Getting dust in your eyes is really painful with hard lenses though.
Disposable lenses are a lot less effort to look after and take in and out.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Ciel.
do you actually know your base curve, diameter etc.?

I know the base curve/ diameter for the eye expert one but not the gas permeable ones. The base curve for the eye expert is 8.4mm to 8.8mm and the diameter is 14mm. Material is senofilcon A. I don't know much about contact lens but have ran into problems from using low oxygen contact lenses.
Reply 4
Original post by Dancer2001
Both those lenses should be good, it depends on what you want.
I personally think that gas permeable lenses are more comfortable once you get used to them, especially if you spend a lot of time in places with air con, or have dry eyes. Getting dust in your eyes is really painful with hard lenses though.
Disposable lenses are a lot less effort to look after and take in and out.

Do you know what the oxygen level is for those contacts? I heard there not comfortable at first and feel gritty but I dont mind the discomfort. I dont want to pay extra money if the gas permeable can do do the same thing. I need them for uni and placements:smile: long hours
Reply 5
I know the base curve/ diameter for the eye expert one but not the gas permeable ones. The base curve for the eye expert is 8.4mm to 8.8mm and the diameter is 14mm. Material is senofilcon A. I don't know much about contact lens but have ran into problems from using low oxygen contact lenses.

what i'm asking is, has a qualified optometrist ever measured your cornea to find what base curve and diameter should your contact lens be?
Reply 6
Original post by Ciel.
what i'm asking is, has a qualified optometrist ever measured your cornea to find what base curve and diameter should your contact lens be?

I don't have a clue, I've had an eye test to check for vision and eye health and was seen by a optometrist the only ones I trust. I've done contact lens trials where they check whether it's comfortable.. don't know if that helps much sorry :tongue:
Reply 7
I don't have a clue, I've had an eye test to check for vision and eye health and was seen by a optometrist the only ones I trust. I've done contact lens trials where they check whether it's comfortable.. don't know if that helps much sorry :tongue:

okay... then you really need to phone them up and ask about your base curve/diameter (base curve is more important). you can't buy random contacts, dude. unless you want to completely ruin your vision. if your lens doesn't fit properly, it can scratch your eye, your eye's not getting enough oxygen etc. etc.
Reply 8
Original post by Ciel.
okay... then you really need to phone them up and ask about your base curve/diameter (base curve is more important). you can't buy random contacts, dude. unless you want to completely ruin your vision. if your lens doesn't fit properly, it can scratch your eye, your eye's not getting enough oxygen etc. etc.

They talked to me about the different contact lenses but didn't say anything about diameter or base curve?? 😣 I've been wearing the eye expert ones and they've been ok... but I really wanna opt for the gas permeable. I guess ill ring them up and ask them about what u said..thanks
Reply 9
What do they use/do to check it? What machine do they use??
Reply 10
They talked to me about the different contact lenses but didn't say anything about diameter or base curve?? 😣 I've been wearing the eye expert ones and they've been ok... but I really wanna opt for the gas permeable. I guess ill ring them up and ask them about what u said..thanks

if you still have the packaging, it should say what base curve/diameter they are. i mean, with diameter you don't have to strictly stick to it but then your lenses will be less comfortable. base curve is important though. once you have the info, you can pick whatever brand you want. personally, i think soft lenses are the best but it's all a preference
Reply 11
What do they use/do to check it? What machine do they use??

idk what's it called. but they have some equipment to measure the curvature of the cornea.
Original post by Ciel.
if you still have the packaging, it should say what base curve/diameter they are. i mean, with diameter you don't have to strictly stick to it but then your lenses will be less comfortable. base curve is important though. once you have the info, you can pick whatever brand you want. personally, i think soft lenses are the best but it's all a preference

So the eye expert ones? Again I don't really know the terms so sorry about that. What do u think of the prices?
Reply 13
So the eye expert ones? Again I don't really know the terms so sorry about that. What do u think of the prices?

i don't know that brand. but i think bausch and lomb and proclear do decent lenses. i think it's usally like £20-30 per 3 months if you buy monthly lenses
RGP lenses and soft lenses are completly different things.
RGP lenses are hard to take care of, and eventhough they are more 'breathable' they are hard and irritating when getting used to them. A lot of people can't get used to them at all.
Silicon Hydrogel soft lenses are much easier to use and much easier to get used to.
If you have no need for special lenses, soft lenses are generally a better option.

Visit an optometrist for a proper fitting, dk/t is not the only thing that matters in contact lenses.
Do you know what the oxygen level is for those contacts? I heard there not comfortable at first and feel gritty but I dont mind the discomfort. I dont want to pay extra money if the gas permeable can do do the same thing. I need them for uni and placements:smile: long hours

I don’t know about the oxygen level, but keep in mind that you can’t really just buy gas permeable lenses yourself. You have to go through an optometrist because they’re more difficult to fit. They need a topographer really to see what size you would need. They can get away with guessing for soft lenses, but not hard ones.
Hard ones can be really painful for the first couple of weeks when your eyes are adjusting to them, but shouldn’t be a problem after that. I would say they’re better for long hours.
In my opinion, you should look for opticians near you that fit RGP lenses, and ask for a fitting. There won’t be a free trial, but getting some could still work out cheaper than ordering your own soft lenses.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest