The Student Room Group

Reasons for an undergraduate to be cancelled

I just had my dream course starting in September cancelled (international development) - I had received an offer but didnt get to reply. What are possible reasons for a course to be cancelled?
No idea mate that’s really weird never even heard of it. Have you tried contacting the university?
You mean if a Univeristy chooses to cancel the whole course? It could be because there’s not enough people enrolled in it, or they don’t have the academic staff available to teach it.
Original post by hemdinho
I just had my dream course starting in September cancelled (international development) - I had received an offer but didnt get to reply. What are possible reasons for a course to be cancelled?

Usually change in strategy by the uni or more likely they dont have enough applicants to make it viable.

Did the course include study abroad in Europe?
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
Did the course include study abroad in Europe?

Had a couple trips to Switzerland and Kenya
Does it involve a year in Europe as it could be due to the face we have left the EC and so far the UK government has refused to sign up to EU things like Erasmus. Bristol has cancelled a CS course with a year in the EU so this might be linked.
Your best bet is to call the University themselves. I’m sure they’ll give the commercially non-sensitive explanation to why it was cancelled

It could be a whole host of reasons: restructuring of the department, a decrease in applications/interest that means running the course in September 2020 wouldn't be worth it, a sudden departure of relevant teaching staff, issues with negotiating international placements/trips etc.

Usually you would expect an email or letter explaining the circumstances for the cancellation - if you're concerned, contact them first. Also contact UCAS - they may be able to help re: substituting that choice for another.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending