The Student Room Group

I cant stand my older sister what should I do?

My older sister constantly berates me such as calling me names such as fat and ugly. Thing is she only does this to me and no other sibling, I'm always the one receiving her verbal abuse. This morning she said to my little sister "Don't eat too much, I don't want you to be fat like the other one", by 'other one', she meant me. Thing is I know I am big, but I am working on it Im going gym and eating a lot healthier than before, I just hate the fact that she is so quick to judge people, but when the people judge her, she gets angry and defensive. I was angry about the fact that she called me fat, and so I went out and then came back, and I was still angry, my mother complained about why I was being moody, and I said I don't like the way some people in this house are talking about me and she said she has already dealt with it. My mum always does this, she doesn't know how deeply those words affect me she probably just told my sister off lightly, but if I ever said something like that I would be in big trouble. My sister always finds my shortcomings and makes fun of them, there's a difference between teasing and bullying she is a bully. She would never help me out, but if she needs s my help I have to give it to her otherwise she will start shouting at me, I'm tired of this, I know I am going uni this year but still, October is a long way away, and I want to give her a taste of her own medicine.
So im sorry shes calling you names no one sould undergo mental abuse like that. Im going to ask if there is anywhere you can go for a bit to get a break? if not possibly find a way to fully express what she does/ how she makes you feel to your mam, like voice record her.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
So im sorry shes calling you names no one sould undergo mental abuse like that. Im going to ask if there is anywhere you can go for a bit to get a break? if not possibly find a way to fully express what she does/ how she makes you feel to your mam, like voice record her.

School, library and church or nights out with friends are my getaways from her, my mum has her first hand the way she speaks to me, I tell her how she makes me feel and shes like "Ignore her", theres so much that can do
honestly i feel your mum should be more supportive and make sure that she stops your sisters behavour. is there any one else that you think could help?
Original post by Anonymous
My older sister constantly berates me such as calling me names such as fat and ugly. Thing is she only does this to me and no other sibling, I'm always the one receiving her verbal abuse. This morning she said to my little sister "Don't eat too much, I don't want you to be fat like the other one", by 'other one', she meant me. Thing is I know I am big, but I am working on it Im going gym and eating a lot healthier than before, I just hate the fact that she is so quick to judge people, but when the people judge her, she gets angry and defensive. I was angry about the fact that she called me fat, and so I went out and then came back, and I was still angry, my mother complained about why I was being moody, and I said I don't like the way some people in this house are talking about me and she said she has already dealt with it. My mum always does this, she doesn't know how deeply those words affect me she probably just told my sister off lightly, but if I ever said something like that I would be in big trouble. My sister always finds my shortcomings and makes fun of them, there's a difference between teasing and bullying she is a bully. She would never help me out, but if she needs s my help I have to give it to her otherwise she will start shouting at me, I'm tired of this, I know I am going uni this year but still, October is a long way away, and I want to give her a taste of her own medicine.

I'm really sorry to hear this. The home is meant to be our sanctuaries of safety, love, and trust. It sounds like all three are missing. I'm glad to hear you are about to go university. Your parent really is the authority in that house; I had a similar situation with my brother in my household where I had to convince my mum (the authority) that I was serious about his ostracising behaviour affecting me. Ultimately, I threatened to leave if he didn't change his behaviour towards me; this makes it really serious and gave my mum a huge incentive to make my brother fix up or leave himself as she wasn't going to jeapordise family unity over the choices of one sibling to another. Now my household is quite peaceful and I'm going to graduate this year too. You could do something similar. It sounds like there is no point in having rational arguments with your sibling who sounds very self-centred. I would suggest living on campus if this doesn't work out at home; it can be a real reliever to meet some awesome people at uni and get away from the madness of the household. What's happening at home isn't your fault; you deserve nothing but safety, love and trust (especially in your household!!!) :smile: :smile: :smile: Hope this helped.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending