The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

First Briton dies
https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3052956/coronavirus-british-male-passenger-japanese-diamond-princess

Japan's mismanagement of quarantine procedures has a blood price.
Original post by DiddyDec
The Chinese propaganda megathread :lol:

If China had contained the virus then it wouldn't have spread. China failed to contain it.

Is there cause for concern? No. Those worst effected are the old, the smokers and the sick. It is not surprising that Chinese health workers have died considering how run down they are. They are struggling to cope with the work load and it is well recognised that being overworked and stressed increases your chances of illness.

Do I trust China? Not at all. They went Chernobyl on the whole thing and they may well still be doing so. Based on the reports we are getting from Chinese medical staff calling for international aid it stands to reason that China isn't doing all that they can because asking for help could be seen as a weakness to them.

American bioweapon? Classic propaganda to shift blame :congrats:

You: There is no cause for concern it's just the flu
Also you: OMG CHINA IS DOWNPLAYING THE VIRUS WHY ARENT THEY CALLING FOR INTERNATIONAL AID?????
Reply 42
Original post by AngeryPenguin
First Briton dies
https://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-asia/article/3052956/coronavirus-british-male-passenger-japanese-diamond-princess

japanese guys are hot af, don't you think?
Original post by NJA
How to survive the Corona pandemic fashionably
(Getty Images)

_111071322_september-comp.jpg

_111071323_index-image-getty.jpg

I like the top-middle and bottom-middle. Full protection.
Reply 44
First Briton dies

I think you'll find it's all China's fault.
Everyone: China mismanaged it

America:
New York City mayor DeBlasio has repeatedly requested permission from federal authorities to conduct tests locally developed, rather than wait weeks for the CDC to send out functioning test kits. He claims nobody in federal govt has responded to >3 weeks of requests.
https://twitter.com/laurie_garrett/status/1233503444838862854?s=21
You: There is no cause for concern it's just the flu
Also you: OMG CHINA IS DOWNPLAYING THE VIRUS WHY ARENT THEY CALLING FOR INTERNATIONAL AID?????

I didn't mention flu once.

There would be cause for concern if there were widespread infections in the UK, but there aren't. They are isolated incidents. Chinese staff have been calling for aid.

I suggest you read what I actually wrote first because you managed to get both points wrong.
How is the vaccine going?
First death in USA
https://www.news1.news/2020/03/coronavirus-crew-refuses-to-leave-flight-to-malpensa-canceled-200-passengers-stranded-in-new-york.html

US Surgeon General urges Americans not to buy masks, to reserve them for emergency workers, as federal reserves (30 million N95 masks) are insufficient for expected demand (300 million).
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-n95-face-masks.html
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-cdc-says-americans-dont-have-to-wear-facemasks-because-of-coronavirus-2020-01-30
- but I want to point out that their claim that "the virus is not spreading in the general community" is false: most new cases cannot be traced back to other known cases, which indicates precisely community spreading.

America:
New York City mayor DeBlasio has repeatedly requested permission from federal authorities to conduct tests locally developed, rather than wait weeks for the CDC to send out functioning test kits. He claims nobody in federal govt has responded to >3 weeks of requests.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, given that the federal response is run by people who have publicly stated that the virus is a Democrat hoax and that Democrats are trying to murder the population.
Original post by Candieeeyx
How is the vaccine going?

By all accounts it will take a year to develop, test and release a working vaccine. There are other anti-viral medicines under test and some have indicated positive results, so it is likely that a non-vaccine alternative will be available in due course.
Reply 51

America:

If the Chinese government hadn't "accidentally" released one of their illegal bioweapons from their illegal, secret biowarfare research labs, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I understand that the Chinese government wants to dramatically reduce its population, but I don't see why it should involve me.
The team of 25 international experts the WHO sent to Wuhan have released their findings:

When a cluster of several infected people occurred in China, it was most often (78-85%) caused by an infection within the family by droplets and other carriers of infection in close contact with an infected person. Transmission by fine aerosols in the air over long distances is not one of the main causes of spread. Most of the 2,055 infected hospital workers were either infected at home or in the early phase of the outbreak in Wuhan when hospital safeguards were not raised yet.

5% of people who are diagnosed with Covid require artificial respiration. Another 15% require highly concentrated oxygen treatment for 3-6 weeks. The mildly ill recover after 2 weeks of symptoms. The mass and duration of the treatments overburdened the existing health care system in Wuhan many times over.

China can now produce 1.6 million test kits for the novel coronavirus per week. The test delivers a result on the same day. Across the country, anyone who goes to the doctor with a fever is screened for the virus: In Guangdong province, far from Wuhan, 320,000 people have been tested, and 0.14% of those were positive for the virus.

The vast majority of those infected sooner or later develop symptoms. Cases of people in whom the virus has been detected and who do not have symptoms at that time are rare - and most of them fall ill in the next few days.

The most common symptoms are fever (88%) and dry cough (68%). Exhaustion (38%), expectoration of mucus when coughing (33%), shortness of breath (18%), sore throat (14%), headaches (14%), muscle aches (14%), chills (11%) are also common. Less frequent are nausea and vomiting (5%), stuffy nose (5%) and diarrhoea (4%). Running nose is not a symptom of Covid.

An examination of 44,672 infected people in China showed a fatality rate of 3.4%. Fatality is strongly influenced by age, pre-existing conditions, gender, and especially the ability of the health care system to provide care.

The fatality rate for those infected with pre-existing cardiovascular disease in China was 13.2%. It was 9.2% for those infected with high blood sugar levels (uncontrolled diabetes), 8.4% for high blood pressure, 8% for chronic respiratory diseases and 7.6% for cancer. Infected persons without a relevant previous illness died in 1.4% of cases.

Age% CasesFatality Rate
0-9 0,9% 0 until now
10-19 1,2% 0.1%
20-29 8,1% 0.2%
30-39 17.0% 0.2%
40-49 19.2% 0.4%
50-59 22.4% 1.3%
60-69 19.2% 3.6%
70-79 8.8% 8.0%
80+ 3.2% 14.8%

Women catch the disease just as often as men. But only 2.8% of Chinese women who were infected died from the disease, while 4.7% of the infected men died. The disease appears to be not more severe in pregnant women than in others, though what effect an infection in the first or second trimester has on embryos is currently unclear as these children are still unborn.

Since the end of January, the number of new coronavirus diagnoses in China has been steadily declining (shown here) with now only 329 new diagnoses within the last day - one month ago it was around 3,000 a day. "This decline in COVID-19 cases across China is real," the report says. The authors conclude this from their own experience on site, declining hospital visits in the affected regions, the increasing number of unoccupied hospital beds, and the problems of Chinese scientists to recruit enough newly infected for the clinical studies of the numerous drug trials. Here is the relevant part of the press conference about the decline assessment.

One of the important reasons for containing the outbreak is that China is interviewing all infected people nationwide about their contact persons and then tests those. There are 1,800 teams in Wuhan to do this, each with at least 5 people.

"China’s bold approach to contain the rapid spread of this new respiratory pathogen has changed the course of a rapidly escalating and deadly epidemic. In the face of a previously unknown virus, China has rolled out perhaps the most ambitious, agile and aggressive disease containment effort in history. China’s uncompromising and rigorous use of non-pharmaceutical measures to contain transmission of the COVID-19 virus in multiple settings provides vital lessons for the global response. This rather unique and unprecedented public health response in China reversed the escalating cases in both Hubei, where there has been widespread community transmission, and in the importation provinces, where family clusters appear to have driven the outbreak."

"Much of the global community is not yet ready, in mindset and materially, to implement the measures that have been employed to contain COVID-19 in China. These are the only measures that are currently proven to interrupt or minimize transmission chains in humans. Fundamental to these measures is extremely proactive surveillance to immediately detect cases, very rapid diagnosis and immediate case isolation, rigorous tracking and quarantine of close contacts, and an exceptionally high degree of population understanding and acceptance of these measures."

"COVID-19 is spreading with astonishing speed; COVID-19 outbreaks in any setting have very serious consequences; and there is now strong evidence that non-pharmaceutical interventions can reduce and even interrupt transmission. Concerningly, global and national preparedness planning is often ambivalent about such interventions. However, to reduce COVID-19 illness and death, near-term readiness planning must embrace the large-scale implementation of high-quality, non-pharmaceutical public health measures. These measures must fully incorporate immediate case detection and isolation, rigorous close contact tracing and monitoring/quarantine, and direct population/community engagement."
(edited 4 years ago)

That says nothing about a death just a flight being cancelled.

Why are you lying again?
Original post by QE2
If the Chinese government hadn't "accidentally" released one of their illegal bioweapons from their illegal, secret biowarfare research labs, we wouldn't be having this discussion. I understand that the Chinese government wants to dramatically reduce its population, but I don't see why it should involve me.

What a simply bizarre conspiracy theory. Why would China destroy their own economy with quarantine measures if they actually wanted the virus to spread?
Really don’t understand why people are so against face masks.

They do not prevent the virus no, but they reduce the risk somewhat. That is sufficient justification for it.

Also, noticed today whilst doing my food shop that Lidl’s is all out of anti-bac gel due to a shortage from the supplier.

It’s only so long until mass hysteria kicks in.

Still hoping I can make my Japan trip in May :frown:
Worse? China moved heaven and earth to destroy the virus. Can you imagine any other country locking down cities of 60 million people? Wuhan itself is almost the size of London, and was under the most extreme quarantine measures any city has ever been in modern times. China sacrificed a great deal of its economic growth in order to protect its citizens and citizens of the world from this terrifying virus - and it was largely successful, as new infections have now slowed to a crawl in China.

China's new concern is actually the threat of importing the virus from other countries that are too weak to implement such extreme containment measures, such as South Korea and Japan.

It's true that they've taken these steps after it became clear that the virus was spreading rapidly and had a high lethality rate. However, it could have been caught much sooner if their system was not so repressive and if the local party had not followed national party edicts and treated the extremely courageous and professional doctor who first raised alerts over it as someone to be silenced and persecuted, along with others who subsequently raised it. This attitude of shooting the messenger can be traced directly to the current government of Xi Jinping and their mania for repression of dissidence.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
By all accounts it will take a year to develop, test and release a working vaccine. There are other anti-viral medicines under test and some have indicated positive results, so it is likely that a non-vaccine alternative will be available in due course.

Thing is though, I don’t have any medical knowledge so correct me if I’m wrong. However surely by the time a vaccine/ anti-viral meds are released to the public the virus could have mutated and we’d be back to square one.
Original post by Waldorf67
Really don’t understand why people are so against face masks.

They do not prevent the virus no, but they reduce the risk somewhat. That is sufficient justification for it.

Also, noticed today whilst doing my food shop that Lidl’s is all out of anti-bac gel due to a shortage from the supplier.

It’s only so long until mass hysteria kicks in.

Still hoping I can make my Japan trip in May :frown:

Face masks are moderately effective and they are useful in crowded public places.

Ordinary anti-bac soaps are of no value, one needs alcohol-based soaps to have any effect on the virus.
Original post by DiddyDec
That says nothing about a death just a flight being cancelled.

Why are you lying again?

My bad, wrong sources

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/03/01/coronavirus-live-updates/

Latest

Trending

Trending