The Student Room Group

Will criminology get me anywhere?

EDIT: I am studying criminology because I have a genuine interest in crime, criminal justice and the law. Not for the money. The fact I stated about money is because I’m not studying 3 years to be on a wage I would be on without a degree. Apologies for wanting some money in my life not all of us enjoy struggling :tongue:

I'm currently studying a Criminology and Criminal Justice degree, I'm one month in and I'm having doubts that this degree is going to get me anywhere. Criminology is fun but I'm worried it's not making me very employable.

I'm motivated by jobs that are better on the pay scale, I don't want to study a degree and not be on a good wage. I'm looking at incorporating Law or Psychology as a minor into my degree but I am unsure how much of an improvement to my degree/employability this would be. On the other hand I could change my major to Law or Psychology and carry Criminology and criminal justice as my minor.

I have a careers meeting booked for Monday so hopefully I will gain some useful advice there but I thought I would ask here first as I'm sure I'm not the only person who has been in this situation.

If anybody has any job suggestions as well that would be appreciated.

(edited 4 years ago)
Pursuing a career solely because of your desire of a higher salary just seems weird
British Airways simply require "any degree" to enter their annual Graduate management training scheme, but you should tailor your course as much as possible whilst you are doing it, usually by careful module choice, in order to meet the dawning expectations of the glimmer of a job at the end of the education tunnel - or you can just 'wing-it' and get "any degree" and see what happens

I think talking to careers is a great step, think a bit wider - try and do some real work experiences in different sectors, that work experience will really help at the end
Original post by dyingstudent101
Pursuing a career solely because of your desire of a higher salary just seems weird

Let me want money in peace pls dying student xo
(edited 4 years ago)

I want to take a joint honours of criminology and sociology at uni and become a detective as you need a degree to be a detective
Original post by Greywolftwo
I want to take a joint honours of criminology and sociology at uni and become a detective as you need a degree to be a detective

okay? did you mean to quote me this?
Original post by LuigiMario
British Airways simply require "any degree" to enter their annual Graduate management training scheme, but you should tailor your course as much as possible whilst you are doing it, usually by careful module choice, in order to meet the dawning expectations of the glimmer of a job at the end of the education tunnel - or you can just 'wing-it' and get "any degree" and see what happens

I think talking to careers is a great step, think a bit wider - try and do some real work experiences in different sectors, that work experience will really help at the end

Thank you! I’ll definitely consider work experience
Careers advice for Criminology here - and as above, you can use your degree for many of the grad-entry schemes, and in many jobs that are not directly connected to Criminology.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/criminology

https://www.kent.ac.uk/ces/student/degree/criminology/index.html?tab=skills-gained
Reply 8
my brother has a criminology and political science degree and is extremely successful. it's not so much about your degree but how much work you're willing to put into your resume. too many students think they'll hit the jackpot just by putting 'degree' on their CV.

if you love criminology, just do it. your degree is only a small part of what employers care about anyway.
okay? did you mean to quote me this?

No
Reply 10
Original post by Joleee
my brother has a criminology and political science degree and is extremely successful. it's not so much about your degree but how much work you're willing to put into your resume. too many students think they'll hit the jackpot just by putting 'degree' on their CV.

if you love criminology, just do it. your degree is only a small part of what employers care about anyway.

Do you mind saying what job/sector he’s in?
Reply 11
Original post by ke1
Do you mind saying what job/sector he’s in?

Correctional Services Canada (clearly i'm not from here :smile:).

he worked very, very hard and had 'other' jobs before becoming a parole officer and working his way up from there (now holds one of the highest ranking positions in his field). he was also rejected from the police force multiple times when he first graduated. honestly, it's rarely your degree alone that gets you places, but your overall CV and persistency.

you thinking about criminology?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending