The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Waldorf67
So do you actually think the Chinese government is welding the doors of every individual suspected of the Coronavirus?

Do you actually believe that is the case?

Even if it was only one person, surely that can't be a good look..and an intelligent person would assume.... If this happens in one scenario what happens all over.
Original post by Captain Haddock
This is nuts... Christian cultists in South Korea have been busy deliberately spreading the virus. It's believed that almost all new cases in the country are either cultists themselves, or traceable to them. SK is up to 3,730 cases as of today.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/02/27/coronavirus-south-korea-cults-conservatives-china/

Can't help wondering if this story is true, or if it isn't just a chance for the authorities in SK to have a pop at a cult they don't like. We are seeing governments taking advantage of the virus in other countries to suit their agendas, for example, banning large gatherings in countries where there has been a lot of protest (the British government want to do that, which is ominous) and smearing political opponents as in the US.
So do you actually think the Chinese government is welding the doors of every individual suspected of the Coronavirus?

Do you actually believe that is the case?

Not every citizen but it is not the fake news you claimed it to be.

Do you support the use of the modern plague house as is being done in China?
Original post by DiddyDec

No I still think it’s fake news to suggest a Chinese government’s tactic in controlling the virus is to weld doors closed.

That footage is disconcerting yes, but we’ve no idea what the background is. You’re just relying on some unknown individual uploading to the internet. I really don’t think it’s a top down effort as you are making it out to be.

I think you’re just pushing it to support your agenda against the Chinese.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Even if it was only one person, surely that can't be a good look..and an intelligent person would assume.... If this happens in one scenario what happens all over.

You think an intelligent response to an uploading of a video onto the internet, is to assume that the video depicts widespread actions? In a city with a population of 11m?

You think that is an intelligent response? Interesting.
Boss sent us an email today basically saying nobodys allowed shake hands with anyone in our workplace anymore (food service).

Whatever their methods, it was clearly effective, and probably saved millions of lives in China (there would be 15 million deaths assuming 3.4% death rate and only 33% of the population ended up getting infected).
You think an intelligent response to an uploading of a video onto the internet, is to assume that the video depicts widespread actions? In a city with a population of 11m?

You think that is an intelligent response? Interesting.

Especially when your discussing China, which is known for these kind's of tactics and supreme control. I'm assuming you also watched the next part of the documentary where the medical staff member is calling his higher ups (communist hierarchy) saying he's having a breakdown from the long hours and needs to go home...what is the response? Are you causing trouble?

Cmon don't be naive. You seriously aren't advocating that the chinese government isn't inherently dodgy.
Especially when your discussing China, which is known for these kind's of tactics and supreme control. I'm assuming you also watched the next part of the documentary where the medical staff member is calling his higher ups (communist hierarchy) saying he's having a breakdown from the long hours and needs to go home...what is the response? Are you causing trouble?

Cmon don't be naive. You seriously aren't advocating that the chinese government isn't inherently dodgy.

Exhausted medical staff pushed to their limits from working long hours? Sounds like the current NHS on a normal day.

Not being naive, of course the Chinese government is concerning. However that doesn’t mean you should readily assume that everyone suspected of having the Coronavirus in China has had their doors welded shut.

Mostly because of the sheer impracticality of that.
No I still think it’s fake news to suggest a Chinese government’s tactic in controlling the virus is to weld doors closed.

That footage is disconcerting yes, but we’ve no idea what the background is. You’re just relying on some unknown individual uploading to the internet. I really don’t think it’s a top down effort as you are making it out to be.

I think you’re just pushing it to support your agenda against the Chinese.

Are you waiting for the official word of a dictatorship that has no qualms about internment camps and organ harvesting to say they are welding people in?

What evidence do you accept about how China treats people?
Reply 90
What evidence do you accept about how China treats people?

The Information Department.
Exhausted medical staff pushed to their limits from working long hours? Sounds like the current NHS on a normal day.

Not being naive, of course the Chinese government is concerning. However that doesn’t mean you should readily assume that everyone suspected of having the Coronavirus in China has had their doors welded shut.

Mostly because of the sheer impracticality of that.

Does it marginalise...that it happened at all. That's my issue.
Spain refuses to call off Las Fallas festival in epicentre of outbreak; packed streets; 2 million tourists expected over 2 weeks, without the authorities having issued any type of warnings, advice or protocol to prevent the expansion of the coronavirus.

https://www.elmundo.es/comunidad-valenciana/2020/03/01/5e5b89fe21efa0ff3b8b4666.html

China gets **** on for Wuhan organizing a 40,000 person banquet, but I expect TSR will rush to defend Spain's decision.

15 known cases in Valencia, compared to 280 when Wuhan held its banquet, but this is also a far bigger festival. Contract tracing is going to be absolutely impossible in these conditions.

They made this same mistake a week ago with the carnivals in Netherlands and Germany and now they are paying for it. I don't understand - everyone condemns China for making that mistake, yet everyone continues to make the same mistake a month later, one after the other.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Spain refuses to call off Las Fallas festival in epicentre of outbreak; packed streets; 2 million tourists expected over 2 weeks, without the authorities having issued any type of warnings, advice or protocol to prevent the expansion of the coronavirus.

https://www.elmundo.es/comunidad-valenciana/2020/03/01/5e5b89fe21efa0ff3b8b4666.html

China gets **** on for Wuhan organizing a 40,000 person banquet, but I expect TSR will rush to defend Spain's decision.

15 known cases in Valencia, compared to 280 when Wuhan held its banquet, but this is also a far bigger festival. Contract tracing is going to be absolutely impossible in these conditions.

Spain is being ignorant. Even if it’s only about money, more economic harm will be done by mass outbreak than cancelling the festival. The extreme measures taken by the Chinese government are effective in preventing spread, whether you morally disagree with them or not. It was wrong to try and conceal the outbreak and arrest the Doctor (though this was Wuhan specifically) and of course cramming people in hospitals isn’t ideal, but there’s simply not enough space, and that will happen in the U.K. if we don’t start taking things seriously and stop having people keep comparing it to the flu.
Reply 94
Original post by Em.-.
Spain is being ignorant. Even if it’s only about money, more economic harm will be done by mass outbreak than cancelling the festival. The extreme measures taken by the Chinese government are effective in preventing spread, whether you morally disagree with them or not. It was wrong to try and conceal the outbreak and arrest the Doctor (though this was Wuhan specifically) and of course cramming people in hospitals isn’t ideal, but there’s simply not enough space, and that will happen in the U.K. if we don’t start taking things seriously and stop having people keep comparing it to the flu.

They should move the event to Portugal, no cases there!

. . . no wait
Original post by AngeryPenguin

They made this same mistake a week ago with the carnivals in Netherlands and Germany and now they are paying for it. I don't understand - everyone condemns China for making that mistake, yet everyone continues to make the same mistake a month later, one after the other.

I think and i don't know how often i can repeat this... But Chinese food standards...should be discussed.
Reply 96
I think and i don't know how often i can repeat this... But Chinese food standards...should be discussed.

Chinese Restaurant.jpg
Spain isn't the only country prioritising dubious economic interests above people's survival. The UK government have kept open air routes to China and other places for similar reasons.
I think this stage is surely a hard time for lots of countries around the world (especially for those who have infected patient already) , instead of spending time arguing about those ridiculous conspiracy about the release of the virus ‘on purpose’ or others rumors, what we all should do now is to get together and help each other out (whether on medical supports or anything).

As a Chinese, i do think the government is definitely stupid when they were trying to punish those journalists and doctors who were whistle-blowers for the coronavirus!
I mean shouldn’t the government be more alert about news for the threat of an extremely infectious disease and check the information source thoroughly before they claimed it as rumor and punish those journalists???
Believe me, millions of Chinese are also veeeeery angry about what have the government done to those journalists!!! (The government definitely could have done better in controlling the disease at preliminary stage!!)

But as the disease have already started to spread, what can we do now is to control the infection as much as possible and protect ourselves from the virus. Every neighborhood in China are having very strict policy about entering or leaving the door, and people are not as miserable as some people think about can’t leaving the house, the truth is, nobody want to go out to the public now when there’s an virus out there threatening your life, so actually lots of people will choose to stay at their home voluntarily with or without the policy(at least I would). People that I know are all willing to sacrifice their chance of hanging out for the safety of others and themselves. P.S. My family sterilize almost everything before bringing into the house as long as they come from the outside
P.P.S girls! ! DO NOT use rubbing alcohol on your bags for sterilization!! It will cause irreversible damage to your bags!!! I once had this terrible experience :frown:

So I just wanna tell everyone that I’m sorry and angry for our government not controlling this soon enough and cause the burst out of the virus, but our government is now actively taking useful actions to make up for it. (Although the whole situation could be avoided if the gov take actions earlier, lots of Chinese including me blame the gov for that! Just saying)

The most important things that I wanna tell is to protect yourselves guys!!
1. Wearing masks every time when u go out! DO NOT start wearing masks only when your are sick , it’s already too late as masks is not only suppose to prevent sick people passing diseases to others, it’s also supposed to protect you(a health person) from getting infected when u r wearing it!
2. Always wash your hands when you have been in public.
3. Do not go to place where it’s too crowded!
4. welcome to fill up......

Also I have seen many news about discrimination to Chinese overseas and it makes me feel so sad and just imagine how helpless they must be when Chinese international students were being yelled at ‘virus’ or ‘go back to your country’ when they were just wearing masks to protect themselves.

Its a very dangerous and difficult time for all, help each other and love each other :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending