The Student Room Group

Best university of law

Obviously everyone is going to LSE, UCL, KCL, Oxford or Cambridge but any other good universities for law and does where you go for law really matter in all honesty.

I'm asking because I've recently come to terms I will literally never get into any of those university so I settled with University of Westminster, University of Law, Nottingham Trent, University of Portsmouth, University of Edge Hill and Manchester Metropolitan. These universities entry requirements are like BBB - BBC which is way more archivable for me (currently working at BCC in college)

Westminster is what I'm aiming for currently but from reading some posts people seem to dislike Westminster to which is conflicting my feelings on it, I'm going to the open day soon so I'll keep updated I guess.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xlizzy
Obviously everyone is going to LSE, UCL, KCL, Oxford or Cambridge but any other good universities for law and does where you go for law really matter in all honesty.

I'm asking because I've recently come to terms I will literally never get into any of those university so I settled with University of Westminster, University of Law, Nottingham Trent, University of Portsmouth, University of Edge Hill and Manchester Metropolitan. These universities entry requirements are like BBB - BBC which is way more archivable for me (currently working at BCC in college)

Westminster is what I'm aiming for currently but from reading some posts people seem to dislike Westminster to which is conflicting my feelings on it, I'm going to the open day soon so I'll keep updated I guess.

If you want to do a degree in Law because it interests you as a subject, there is nothing wrong with going to a uni like Westminster. If you wish to become a solicitor, however, you will be limited in the firms you can apply to with grades like BBC. The grades you achieve are more important than the uni you attend, because lots of Law firms have minimum A level requirements:

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/getting-a-training-contract/application-and-selection-criteria
Original post by xlizzy

Hey which University of Law, because I got into the one in London Bloomsbury
Reply 3
Original post by Maarilyn.__
Hey which University of Law, because I got into the one in London Bloomsbury

I was think about London Bloomsbury one. How did you apply for that campus and how are going to find accomodation cause I don't think University of Law have set accommodations like other universities
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
If you want to do a degree in Law because it interests you as a subject, there is nothing wrong with going to a uni like Westminster. If you wish to become a solicitor, however, you will be limited in the firms you can apply to with grades like BBC. The grades you achieve are more important than the uni you attend, because lots of Law firms have minimum A level requirements:

https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/getting-a-training-contract/application-and-selection-criteria

I'm not saying I'm going to do minimum amount of work to get BBC I'm still going to try but I'd rather apple to those kind of universities than apply to UCL with a predicted grades of BBB that won't even get me an interview, automatic rejection.

If I end up getting like ABB (which I'm aiming for) I'm happy with that and most firms listed there accept ABB but again it is preferable NOT requirement and if I get on or above a 2:1 at uni it won't really matter but who knows... 🤷*♀️

And I wanna be a barrister, so would that effect my choice of university
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
See it's people like who make college students stress so hard about going to universities that are literally way out of their capability.

I know my limits and how far I can go, my limit is definitely not top university level so I'm going for some universities that I like.

If I end up getting a 1st in Westminster and someone from Oxford got a 2:2 would my degree from Westminster out weigh there's because from you ideology it seems like.it since they went to Oxford it out weights everyone else's who didn't.

Top universities student seem like they have added weight of mental and physical stress rather than students form normal universities, I'm honestly not here for it.
Original post by xlizzy
I was think about London Bloomsbury one. How did you apply for that campus and how are going to find accomodation cause I don't think University of Law have set accommodations like other universities

Ooooh okay it's hard because they just show apartment when i search it. which University of Law did you get accepted to?
Reply 7
Original post by Maarilyn.__
Ooooh okay it's hard because they just show apartment when i search it. which University of Law did you get accepted to?

AHH I'm first year college student sorry... Do they ask you which campus to apply to or they just randomly allocate it to you
Ohh sozz no you can selected which campus you want
Reply 9
The world of law is incredibly competitive. Far more competitive than, with all due respect, it appears that you seem to appreciate. To become a lawyer or barrister who is in good, stable employment, then you will need to prove yourself worthy, because being a barrister is not an easy job. The issue is simply that there are far too many people getting law degrees and not enough pupillages/training contracts available. As a result, you are going to need to out-compete a fair amount of people and frankly there are just so many people out there who have 2:1/first class degrees from unis that are better than the ones you're applying to.

As a general rule, I would say that you are unlikely to be able to get a good pupillage if you don't have at least a 2:1 from a Russell Group. It is perhaps a bit harsh but you really need to understand how cutthroat the competition is. You don't need to go to Oxbridge, LSE, Durham or UCL in order to find good employment, but realistically, if you want to become a barrister at a decent firm, you will have to aim higher than you currently are.

My recommendation for you is to have a look at the University of Liverpool's law course (or similar RG unis). It is (if I recall correctly) only ABB, which, provided you put in plenty of work, should be within your capabilities. It's not as good as the rest of the RG, granted, but it will probably present you with more opportunities than Westminster.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
okay nevermind I'm actually done with this thread... I know it's childish but I've talked to many solicitors and barristers, they all agreed that where you doesn't really but you have all just made me even more conflicted about it.

honestly crush a poor girls dream like that thank you all very much. I know I'm not going to be the smartest person in the world with law but I honestly ****ing love the subject but you have all just completely crushed it, I was already feeling self conscious about my ability but now I realised there literally isn't any hope if I don't go to a RG uni. so thank you, hope you all have a good night
Reply 11
Original post by xlizzy
okay nevermind I'm actually done with this thread... I know it's childish but I've talked to many solicitors and barristers, they all agreed that where you doesn't really but you have all just made me even more conflicted about it.

honestly crush a poor girls dream like that thank you all very much. I know I'm not going to be the smartest person in the world with law but I honestly ****ing love the subject but you have all just completely crushed it, I was already feeling self conscious about my ability but now I realised there literally isn't any hope if I don't go to a RG uni. so thank you, hope you all have a good night

You asked a question. We answered. There is really no point in trying to guilt trip people who have gone out of their way to share information with you to help you make an informed decision about your future. If you weren't prepared to accept an answer other than "yes, going to Westminster will make it easy for you to become a barrister", then why ask the question?
It would be incredibly cruel of us to lie to you, and thus allow you to make a decision which would render you in a difficult position to find the kind of employment you're looking for. It is far better for you to hear now that those universities will not be good places to go to if you want to become a barrister, rather than in 4 years time when you've finished your studies.
As aforementioned, if you're studying law out of interest, then by all means, go to whichever uni you'd like. However, the reality of the situation is that if you want to become a barrister then you should consider better universities than the ones you're currently considering.
Listen to these people and take their advice, both Harrys and J Papi have experience in the area and know what they're talking about.

To say firm's A-level requirements are a 'preference' and 'don't really matter' is seriously underestimating the competition you'll face. I'm currently working towards a first and still struggling to get places on vacation schemes due to my shoddy pre-uni course. I'm not saying you don't have a chance, but you should definitely be more realistic about your prospects.
Reply 13
nope only did it because I wanted the whole thread to come down... cause I cant delete my own threads
Reply 14
Original post by MidgetFever
Listen to these people and take their advice, both Harrys and J Papi have experience in the area and know what they're talking about.

To say firm's A-level requirements are a 'preference' and 'don't really matter' is seriously underestimating the competition you'll face. I'm currently working towards a first and still struggling to get places on vacation schemes due to my shoddy pre-uni course. I'm not saying you don't have a chance, but you should definitely be more realistic about your prospects.

not Harry she was nice about it but some of the others were just plain rude in my opinion
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by xlizzy
not Harry he was nice about it but some of the others were just plain rude in my opinion

Harrys is a woman :tongue:

Aye, some people are more blunt than others but that doesn't make their advice any less valuable, don't let it put you off.
Original post by xlizzy
See it's people like who make college students stress so hard about going to universities that are literally way out of their capability.

I know my limits and how far I can go, my limit is definitely not top university level so I'm going for some universities that I like.

If I end up getting a 1st in Westminster and someone from Oxford got a 2:2 would my degree from Westminster out weigh there's because from you ideology it seems like.it since they went to Oxford it out weights everyone else's who didn't.

Top universities student seem like they have added weight of mental and physical stress rather than students form normal universities, I'm honestly not here for it.

I’ll be honest he didn’t lie. He’s not making u stress, law is a traditional career and somewhat elitist and nepotistic. I once had a conversation with a partner at a ‘good’ firm and some Uni students who said that there were still ‘Tiers’ in which the RG Unis r seen. Even within the Russel group ppl r still ranking, that’s to show the kind of environment it is. If you’re studying law because you like it that’s fine but if u want a career as a solicitor in a top firm it’s not untrue u would have a harder time getting there than say an LSE applicant (not counting work experience amongst others). If u wanted to be a barrister that’s a whole different cup of tea we’ll brew later.
The mentality of not wanting to go to a top Uni because its too stressful also seems a bit *lazy* and quite the opposite of what I’d expect from studying law as its a hard subject anywhere, not to mention the vicious application cycles but idk ur situation mentally or physically so i can only urge u to try ur hardest. In some degrees ur uni doesn’t matter, law isn’t one of them as the Uni can be used by individuals as an indicator.
That’s just my take anyway
Reply 17
Original post by Stanza03

Hi, it does they are in Camden Town
Reply 18
Original post by Stanza03

Hi, I am in the same position as you. I also applied to University of Law, Westminster but I feel quote sad because of what people are saying for law, is really competitive so are we going to find work,etc? I red a lot of comments about how people paid the university and then in years cant find job and are working crazy hours for ****ty money. Thats not what I want to do.
Reply 19
Original post by emona.s
Hi, I am in the same position as you. I also applied to University of Law, Westminster but I feel quote sad because of what people are saying for law, is really competitive so are we going to find work,etc? I red a lot of comments about how people paid the university and then in years cant find job and are working crazy hours for ****ty money. Thats not what I want to do.

Well I talked to my schools careers advisor and he said they mainly care about work experience and how much they have on it. Also he did say that I had to acknowledge the fact that some firms do mind where you go and it's a very elitist field that common people like us who don't go private school can find it very hard to get into. My law teacher who was a barrister said that they do kinda care where you go. He also said that it also depends on which field you trying to get into in law. Cooperate law has the most money and Criminal law has the least amount of money.

If you wanna go into a business that needs solicitors you work alright hours, probs a basic of 9-4 but if you work as a solicitor in a legal firm hours depend. If you wanna be a Barrister you are going to be working crazy hours honestly and it is a very unstable job as work coming in isn't stable.

that's what I've gotten from my own independent research. I highly suggest you use Unibuddy, it can help you get into contact with law students either are currently in uni or have recently graduated.

Quick Reply

Latest