The Student Room Group

Teacher Placement Abroad

I've got a place on Primary Education with QTS to start in Sept 2020. We've been told that we do an experiential placement at the end of the second year and even though it's a long way off I want to start saving money now as I'd really like to go abroad and ideally would like to work in a school in Africa (any placement abroad has to be self funded). Does anyone have any experience of this that you could share with me? Such as costs involved, how to source a placement or any other general info you think I should know. Thanks in advance.
Original post by KB79
I've got a place on Primary Education with QTS to start in Sept 2020. We've been told that we do an experiential placement at the end of the second year and even though it's a long way off I want to start saving money now as I'd really like to go abroad and ideally would like to work in a school in Africa (any placement abroad has to be self funded). Does anyone have any experience of this that you could share with me? Such as costs involved, how to source a placement or any other general info you think I should know. Thanks in advance.

That sounds like a really ambitious plan. Do you know how long the experiential placement would be for? Is it absolutely guarenteed you're allowed to do this (i.e. not dependent on achieving certain standards during placement?). I only ask because my uni offered this in theory during the PGCE- however it was dependent on getting all "goods" on your previous placement, and I wasn't allowed to do one because I was spending a week on a residential trip and therefore not judged to be getting enough classroom experience. It would be such a shame to arrange this, and then not be able to go.

I do know of an international school in Egypt that enables teachers to get their NQT. They're an all through school, so might be willing to host a visitor. A lot of international schools have onsite accommodation, so might be able to help you with that too, and would probably also feed you a midday meal at least. If you're interested in their details then PM me!
Reply 2
Original post by SarcAndSpark
That sounds like a really ambitious plan. Do you know how long the experiential placement would be for? Is it absolutely guarenteed you're allowed to do this (i.e. not dependent on achieving certain standards during placement?). I only ask because my uni offered this in theory during the PGCE- however it was dependent on getting all "goods" on your previous placement, and I wasn't allowed to do one because I was spending a week on a residential trip and therefore not judged to be getting enough classroom experience. It would be such a shame to arrange this, and then not be able to go.

I do know of an international school in Egypt that enables teachers to get their NQT. They're an all through school, so might be willing to host a visitor. A lot of international schools have onsite accommodation, so might be able to help you with that too, and would probably also feed you a midday meal at least. If you're interested in their details then PM me!

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am a really ambitious person so my plans reflect this. The placement is for three weeks at the end of the second year, as far as I know there are no conditions on being allowed to do it but in all honesty I'm a mature student with 20 years of experience in childcare behind me so I'm pretty confident I'll get at least good feedback in my placements. I have a day visit to my uni in a couple of weeks so will ask more questions then. What we have previously been told is that at the end of the second year we can choose our own placement for a minimum of three weeks, it can be somewhere local, further afield or abroad but if we choose the latter options it has to be self funded (hence planning potential costs well in advance). The only condition is that it has to be somewhere that provides education (could be a prison, hospital school etc as long as it provides education).
Original post by KB79
Thanks for your reply. Yes I am a really ambitious person so my plans reflect this. The placement is for three weeks at the end of the second year, as far as I know there are no conditions on being allowed to do it but in all honesty I'm a mature student with 20 years of experience in childcare behind me so I'm pretty confident I'll get at least good feedback in my placements. I have a day visit to my uni in a couple of weeks so will ask more questions then. What we have previously been told is that at the end of the second year we can choose our own placement for a minimum of three weeks, it can be somewhere local, further afield or abroad but if we choose the latter options it has to be self funded (hence planning potential costs well in advance). The only condition is that it has to be somewhere that provides education (could be a prison, hospital school etc as long as it provides education).

Hello @KB79

Can I just check why your course would last two years? Are you doing a Part-Time course?

I know that Edge Hill do placements on the Isle of Man, that they usually fund, but I've not come across others that allow for overseas placements on the basis that the provider would need to observe you on placement. Schools overseas observe different QTS standards and so an overseas placement may not lend you the opportunity to evidence the QTS standards that you'd need. I would encourage you to check out with your provider how they manage this.

I've been in schools in South Africa, and know of education projects in Ghana, and it's certainly a fulfilling experience. In the schools I've visited, resources were limited, class sizes very high, and often motivation to exceed expectation was lower than hoped for, but in the face of diversity, some of the best outcomes are achieved!

Jane
Reply 4
Original post by Get into Teaching
Hello @KB79

Can I just check why your course would last two years? Are you doing a Part-Time course?

I know that Edge Hill do placements on the Isle of Man, that they usually fund, but I've not come across others that allow for overseas placements on the basis that the provider would need to observe you on placement. Schools overseas observe different QTS standards and so an overseas placement may not lend you the opportunity to evidence the QTS standards that you'd need. I would encourage you to check out with your provider how they manage this.

I've been in schools in South Africa, and know of education projects in Ghana, and it's certainly a fulfilling experience. In the schools I've visited, resources were limited, class sizes very high, and often motivation to exceed expectation was lower than hoped for, but in the face of diversity, some of the best outcomes are achieved!

Jane

Hi Jane, I'm doing a 3 year full time primary education degree with QTS. It's an undergraduate degree not a PGCE.
Original post by KB79
Hi Jane, I'm doing a 3 year full time primary education degree with QTS. It's an undergraduate degree not a PGCE.

A-Ha! That makes much more sense to me know. On that basis, YES, do the overseas placement. It will be a phenomenal experience. Check out any of the teaching jobs with the British Council. They often are looking for teachers of English. It will be SOOOOO good.

Jane

Quick Reply

Latest