The Student Room Group

University of Cape Town

Hey,
I'm at that point in year 12 where I am looking at post 18 options, and the prospect of studying abroad really appeals to me, I particularly like the university of cape town, it seems really friendly and would give me an amazing experience (I've grown an interest in South Africa since studying it in history). Is there anyone on here who has studied there having gone to sixth form in the UK? and if so are there any funding options available to study there?

Thanks,
Ethan
I cannot comment much on the university, but I would advise that even in your interest in South Africa, you make sure to consider what living there would really be like compared to the UK, particularly in regards to violent crime, and discrimination against white people (I am assuming you are white as most British people are).
Reply 2
Ignore this. I'm from the UK and went school in the uk up until university where i know study in the US. I studied at UCT, albeit for a summer last year and had a great time. Facilities are great and the city is amazing. It was also great to see the effect of apartheid first hand and learn more about south african history and the uk's involvement
Reply 3
Original post by jsufjdjf
Ignore this. I'm from the UK and went school in the uk up until university where i know study in the US. I studied at UCT, albeit for a summer last year and had a great time. Facilities are great and the city is amazing. It was also great to see the effect of apartheid first hand and learn more about south african history and the uk's involvement

lecturers are great too

I am just saying it's something to be weary of, considering Cape Town has the highest homicide rate in the entire continent of Africa, about 33 times that of London. In addition, South Africa is on genocide watch for whites and African immigrants, with the third largest party in the National Assembly (EFF) creating anti-white prejudice and insinuating that they want to slaughter whites. I think this is important information for anyone who is considering studying there.
Reply 5
The vast majority of murders are within a race. Very few of murders that make up the high homicide rate are racially motivated
Reply 6

Hey,
Sorry for the late reply!, what subject did you study?, also, how did you get admitted, did your US university do it for you or did you do it under your own steam?

I really want to study geography with the aim to become a pilot, It says you need maths and some sciences at grade C, do you know if they mean GCSE or A level maths?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Ethan
Reply 7
Original post by Esimm03
Hey,
Sorry for the late reply!, what subject did you study?, also, how did you get admitted, did your US university do it for you or did you do it under your own steam?

I really want to study geography with the aim to become a pilot, It says you need maths and some sciences at grade C, do you know if they mean GCSE or A level maths?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Ethan

I applied through my home university so the application process is very different thus I can't talk much about that. I took a developmental economics class and had a range of guest lecturers from departments such as economics and political science - they were all great and incredibly informative.

If you want to be a pilot have you considered mechanical engineering? Or possibly going straight to a flight school/apprenticeship with an airline? I believe there are better entry routes to becoming a pilot.

I imagine they mean GCSE but I am unsure, you should email there admissions department!
Reply 8
I applied through my home university so the application process is very different thus I can't talk much about that. I took a developmental economics class and had a range of guest lecturers from departments such as economics and political science - they were all great and incredibly informative.

If you want to be a pilot have you considered mechanical engineering? Or possibly going straight to a flight school/apprenticeship with an airline? I believe there are better entry routes to becoming a pilot.

I imagine they mean GCSE but I am unsure, you should email there admissions department!

Hi,
I was thinking about some sort of engineering, but going into aviation is only something I've recently become interested in, and my A levels aren't really suitable to go into engineering (English, Geography, History, and EPQ).

I would prefer to get a degree before becoming a pilot, just as it makes getting a job easier (my current plan is to get my geog degree, then save up for the license). I'm actually due to attend the UCAS convention later today, so I might have some new ideas later!

Do you know how the South African degree program works? from what I understand you only get a BA/BSc/BEng, and then you can stay on for an Honours degree if you wish, (and they don't have the 2:1 / 2:2 system?)

May I also ask you some questions about US universities, I am eligible for US citizenship, and contemplating getting it to study in the US, and have got some questions as you were in a similar situation to me (British student in the US) :smile:

Thanks again!:smile:,
Ethan
Reply 9
Original post by Esimm03
Hi,
I was thinking about some sort of engineering, but going into aviation is only something I've recently become interested in, and my A levels aren't really suitable to go into engineering (English, Geography, History, and EPQ).

I would prefer to get a degree before becoming a pilot, just as it makes getting a job easier (my current plan is to get my geog degree, then save up for the license). I'm actually due to attend the UCAS convention later today, so I might have some new ideas later!

Do you know how the South African degree program works? from what I understand you only get a BA/BSc/BEng, and then you can stay on for an Honours degree if you wish, (and they don't have the 2:1 / 2:2 system?)

May I also ask you some questions about US universities, I am eligible for US citizenship, and contemplating getting it to study in the US, and have got some questions as you were in a similar situation to me (British student in the US) :smile:

Thanks again!:smile:,
Ethan

I am unaware of a lot of the intricacies of South African higher ed because I only studied for a summer so best to search online or wait for another response. However any Qs about US unis feel free to private message
Reply 10
I am unaware of a lot of the intricacies of South African higher ed because I only studied for a summer so best to search online or wait for another response. However any Qs about US unis feel free to private message

Hi,
Cool, thanks for your help so far on SA unis, much appreciated :smile:.

i'll send you a DM

Thanks,
Ethan
Original post by Anonymous
I am just saying it's something to be weary of, considering Cape Town has the highest homicide rate in the entire continent of Africa, about 33 times that of London. In addition, South Africa is on genocide watch for whites and African immigrants, with the third largest party in the National Assembly (EFF) creating anti-white prejudice and insinuating that they want to slaughter whites. I think this is important information for anyone who is considering studying there.

Stop the idea as if white people are the victims in SA when apartheid ended less than 30 years ago, and the systems and institutionalised racism AGAINST the natives is still prevalent… white people FEELING threatened by equality is not the same as white people being OPPRESSED…. (Btw the farm murders or killings where yt people died were almost never racially motivated ☺️)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending