The Student Room Group

Chemistry or biochemistry

Im soo confused on which to pick to study at uni (biochem or chem) :s-smilie:

I really like chem at a level but im not sure if i just like it because i understand it. But with bio i only like some parts like cells and molecular bio (dont like the general biology like anatomy, digestion etc.)

So im trying to find a biochem course with more chem but im not sure if i should just do pure chem instead :3 - when i think of pure chem at degree level it makes me think it will be really hard and that i cant see myself doing chem at uni.

NOTE: sorry if my grammar is bad here - im a bit busy atm
Original post by kiiten

I really like chem at a level but im not sure if i just like it because i understand it. But with bio i only like some parts like cells and molecular bio (dont like the general biology like anatomy, digestion etc.)

So im trying to find a biochem course with more chem but im not sure if i should just do pure chem instead :3 - when i think of pure chem at degree level it makes me think it will be really hard and that i cant see myself doing chem at uni.

You might enjoy pharmaceutical chemistry?
At my university, the chemistry and pharmaceutical chemistry courses are exactly the same for the same first year except for one module only, and chemistry students do 'states of matter' whereas pharmaceutical chemistry students do 'basic biochemistry'
I believe this is the same for all universities that are accredited by the Royal society of chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
In some chem/natsci degrees you can start doing chemistry and end up doing a Biochemistry degree at the end of it.
Reply 3
Original post by alow
In some chem/natsci degrees you can start doing chemistry and end up doing a Biochemistry degree at the end of it.

Ahh ill look into that, thanks :smile: - i know you cant switch from biochem to chem. Although i dont really want to be switching degrees its always good to have the option to do so
I'm in a similar position to you, however I've had another year to think about it. I'm applying for 4 natural sciences degrees, in which I will be studying chemistry along with biochemistry/other biology elements and 1 pure chemistry degree. So my advice to you would really be choose a degree where you can sort of do both until the 3rd year.
If you want to make a decision now, I would go for chemistry. The reason I think this is a good idea is that it's probably a lot easier for a chemist to apply themselves to biochemistry rather than the other way round, particularly if you attempt to keep in touch with biology as an undergraduate :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by k.russell
I'm in a similar position to you, however I've had another year to think about it. I'm applying for 4 natural sciences degrees, in which I will be studying chemistry along with biochemistry/other biology elements and 1 pure chemistry degree. So my advice to you would really be choose a degree where you can sort of do both until the 3rd year.
If you want to make a decision now, I would go for chemistry. The reason I think this is a good idea is that it's probably a lot easier for a chemist to apply themselves to biochemistry rather than the other way round, particularly if you attempt to keep in touch with biology as an undergraduate :smile:

Im looking at biochem and biological chem at Nottingham which seems perfect for me because its basically chem with a few biochem/other bio modules.

But when i think of pure chem with very little biology ... i dont know if i would enjoy it more or not? If i did decide to go for chem i would have to change my personal statement and i havent even looked at chem courses on uni open days :s-smilie: . Also im not sure if i like chem at a level, would i still like it at degree level? Im just very confused :s-smilie:
Original post by kiiten

Im looking at biochem and biological chem at Nottingham which seems perfect for me because its basically chem with a few biochem/other bio modules.

But when i think of pure chem with very little biology ... i dont know if i would enjoy it more or not? If i did decide to go for chem i would have to change my personal statement and i havent even looked at chem courses on uni open days :s-smilie: . Also im not sure if i like chem at a level, would i still like it at degree level? Im just very confused :s-smilie:

Natural sciences at Bath, UCL, Durham & Cambridge
Chemistry at St Andrews
the course at Nottingham sounds good for you :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by k.russell
Natural sciences at Bath, UCL, Durham & Cambridge
Chemistry at St Andrews
the course at Nottingham sounds good for you :smile:

I see - what did you talk about in your personal statement - does it cover both subjects (natsci and chem)??
Original post by kiiten
I see - what did you talk about in your personal statement - does it cover both subjects (natsci and chem)??

it's a bit weird really - sort of mainly about chemistry, chemical biology and my EPQ
So kind of, but it's geared slightly more to the chemistry side of things
so, did u suggest i go for chemistry?
Original post by kiiten

Hi, I'm a 4th year chemistry student at the UoB and hopefully my own personal experience might be of some help to you here. On the UoB chemistry course you have lots of options to choose from in terms of your modules and a lot of them are bio based. I've done modules on Bioorganic chemistry (looking at amino acids, peptides, DNA and enzymes), Biosynthesis (looking at how we can copy the way molecules are synthesised in nature) and Enzymes (looking into the mechanisms of how enzymes do their jobs, I wrote a short paper on the enzyme Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase in my third year). You then have the option in your final year of choosing a project based around more bio stuff. It might be worth looking at some chemistry courses and seeing what modules they have that you might be interested in.

Hope that helps,
James
Reply 11
Original post by UoB - Engineering and Physical Sciences
Hi, I'm a 4th year chemistry student at the UoB and hopefully my own personal experience might be of some help to you here. On the UoB chemistry course you have lots of options to choose from in terms of your modules and a lot of them are bio based. I've done modules on Bioorganic chemistry (looking at amino acids, peptides, DNA and enzymes), Biosynthesis (looking at how we can copy the way molecules are synthesised in nature) and Enzymes (looking into the mechanisms of how enzymes do their jobs, I wrote a short paper on the enzyme Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase in my third year). You then have the option in your final year of choosing a project based around more bio stuff. It might be worth looking at some chemistry courses and seeing what modules they have that you might be interested in.

Hope that helps,
James

Hey, thanks for your reply :smile:

Wow this was 3 years ago!! 😅😲I'm actually studying finance now ahah although i did start off on a biochem and chem joint course for a year!
Original post by kiiten
Hey, thanks for your reply :smile:

Wow this was 3 years ago!! 😅😲I'm actually studying finance now ahah although i did start off on a biochem and chem joint course for a year!

Ahha, i’m the opposite, was gonna go into economics but tryna figure out if chemistry or biochemistry, i think chemistry tho if anyone cares 😂
i relate so much to this person. i am currently in year 12 and study biology, chemistry and maths a level. i am deciding between chemistry, medicinal chemistry or biochemistry. i think biochemistry would be to biology based for me but i am unsure if i would able to do a pure chemistry degree. i enjoy the medicinal chemistry though.
i enjoy topics based on biological molecules and DNA does anyone suggest any university courses that could benefit me?
i am interested in doing a year in industry as well, possibly doing a masters integrated into undergraduate study

Latest

Trending

Trending