The Student Room Group

Nintendo switch question?

If I buy the nintendo switch lite, is it the same as the old nintendo switch consoles? or is the nintendo switch lite just the handhold device without the console?

because everywhere seems to have zero or no stock of the old nintendo switches.

Scroll to see replies

Nintendo Switch lite is just for handheld mode. No way of docking it to the TV. This does mean a few games a limited due to the Joy-Cons (the separate controllers) being necessary and a bigger screen probably being more helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by Treetop321
Nintendo Switch lite is just for handheld mode. No way of docking it to the TV. This does mean a few games a limited due to the Joy-Cons (the separate controllers) being necessary and a bigger screen probably being more helpful.

Then why are places like Amazon out of ALL regular nintendo switches...... and also Argos is on limited supply, and currys have it listed but there is no option to buy it

It seems very odd........
Original post by ANM775
Then why are places like Amazon out of ALL regular nintendo switches...... and also Argos is on limited supply, and currys have it listed but there is no option to buy it

can't you buy one at your local supermarket or toy shop or something?
Honestly seems a rip to me, not being able to play on the TV would rob me of a lot of use. I love Nintendo's inhouse GFX engine and it deserves to shine.....but they sure are right greedy so and sos.
Reply 5
Original post by 1st superstar
can't you buy one at your local supermarket or toy shop or something?

toy shop? lol

don't think so...

As for my local supermarket i know they sell games but not sure if they sell switches...
Original post by ANM775
toy shop? lol

don't think so...

As for my local supermarket i know they sell games but not sure if they sell switches...

Smyths definitely sell Switches, and while they're now defunct I got my gameboys from Toys R Us.

They might generally be out of stock because of the coronavirus, while that stated the japanese domestic market is all that would be affected, that was a month ago and it might have had a knock-on effect worldwide.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
toy shop? lol

don't think so...

toy shops DO sell switches (and so do Supermarkets in the Tech section) just check to see if they sell them. just check your local Sainsbury's,ASDA, tesco, SMYTHS etc
Reply 8
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Smyths definitely sell Switches, and while they're now defunct I got my gameboys from Toys R Us.

They might generally be out of stock because of the coronavirus, while that stated the japanese domestic market is all that would be affected, that was a month ago and it might have had a knock-on effect worldwide.

damn coronavirus 😣
Switch lites are just for handheld gameplay, no tv option but I think they're lighter and designed for mobile play.

toy shops DO sell switches (and so do Supermarkets in the Tech section) just check to see if they sell them. just check your local Sainsbury's,ASDA, tesco, SMYTHS etc

They do? oof. I've found ASDA selling switch games but never actual switches. Noice.
Last time I went to smyths was to by Animal Crossing: New Leaf... that was a while ago :biggrin:
Original post by ANM775

Possibly because Animal Crossings been released just recently - this was hyped up a lot so people have probably gone and bought it self isolating cornavirus is also helping the sales because people need entertaining during self isolation - just a hunch

In reply to your original post Switch Lite iss definitely just a handheld console :smile:
Original post by ANM775

Amazon recently went out of stock of the lites too. I would assume it's because two big games are coming out this month so people are buying more than ever. They'll come in stock again soon I'm sure.
I've seen over the years that a lot of supermarkets ect do sell consoles, often just not on display, or it's an easily missed wee 'Switches in stock, please ask at counter' sign or such. You're often as well asking.

Oddly I got my 1st Switch at launch at HMV this way, they were sold out everywhere else normal (Argos, Gamestation, Game ect) red faced tantrummng kids and parents in all :tongue: I went into HMV on the off chance and even then couldn't see anything, was only when i asked at the counter in a 100-1 shot they casually said 'yeah sure', normal RRP too, they were already on Gumtree for £500+ :rolleyes:
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers

Original post by -Eirlys-
Amazon recently went out of stock of the lites too. I would assume it's because two big games are coming out this month so people are buying more than ever. They'll come in stock again soon I'm sure.

It was already rumored months ago Nintendo would be creating a retail window for the lite, certainly wouldn't put it past them to limit/delay original ones to ensure good initial sales for the new one. I wouldn't be shocked if after a few months they restocked the original and (finally) dropped the price a smidge. (I think Sony pretty much do the same, prob MS too)
I work at GAME and there's currently a national shortage on the normal nintendo switches hence why hardly anywhere has got them in, there should be some coming back out within this month :smile:
Original post by ANM775
toy shop? lol

don't think so...

You can pre order one here: https://www.smythstoys.com/uk/en-gb/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-gaming/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-consoles/nintendo-switch-neon-red-blue-with-improved-battery-life/p/182022
Reply 16

I've managed to get one new for about £329 on amazon via a third party seller. I'm paying about £60 more than it should be but the only reason i'm doing that is because the switch appears to be one of the old models, and the old models are exploitable to the jailbreak ... meaning in the long run i'll make back that £50 ...and then some, due to not having to pay for games. switch games don't seem to decrease in price like ps4 games!

If the Switch arrives and it's NOT one of the exploitable ones, I am going to send it back to them and get a refund. I won't even have to open the packaging to be able to tell, so there shouldn't really be any problems....

I was thinking about buying a switch like this last year, but took too long and they all went out of stock. For some reason now, 1 has surfaced. and with just 1 left in stock I thought to myself, it's now or never. You either take the risk and buy it now, or lose it ... because with the Switch shortage ..it is going to get snapped up FAST if you just sit and think about it.

So anyways, hopefully it is the old model of the switch when it comes, because it had the old model photo on the amazon photo
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ANM775
I've managed to get one new for about £329 on amazon via a third party seller. I'm paying about £60 more than it should be but the only reason i'm doing that is because the switch appears to be one of the old models, and the old models are exploitable to the jailbreak ... meaning in the long run i'll make back that £50 ...and then some, due to not having to pay for games. switch games don't seem to decrease in price like ps4 games!

If the Switch arrives and it's NOT one of the exploitable ones, I am going to send it back to them and get a refund. I won't even have to open the packaging to be able to tell, so there shouldn't really be any problems....

I was thinking about buying a switch like this last year, but took too long and they all went out of stock. For some reason now, 1 has surfaced. and with just 1 left in stock I thought to myself, it's now or never. You either take the risk and buy it now, or lose it ... because with the Switch shortage ..it is going to get snapped up FAST if you just sit and think about it.

So anyways, hopefully it is the old model of the switch when it comes, because it had the old model photo on the amazon photo

Nice good luck then
Reply 18
Nice good luck then

It came today. First impressions I was pleased because it had the old style box [the new style box does not have a hand holding the switch, the old ones do]

I then ran the serial number online in a serial checker and it said it is possible it is patched.

However i've looked at the box and it says 2017

patched switches only started coming out sometime in 2018 ..

so hopefully it should be alright.

don't know when i'm going to set it all up etc [tbh, i have enough ps4 games to keep me busy]
Reply 19
if anyone else is interested in buying one, here is the one you need to get.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B01MFADJFV/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

unfortunately you're looking at a £399 price tag atm if you want a new one [i don't recommend you get a used one as it's probably been patched via firmware updates]

still though, another seller might get hold of a new one and put it up for sale like what happened with mine.

Quick Reply

Latest