The Student Room Group

Official Dentistry 2021 Applicants' Thread!

So it’s just less than a year away until we have to apply on 15th October 2020 to enrol in September 2021. I am currently in year 12 studying maths chemistry and biology. I’ve been to three open days so far: Manchester Leeds and Liverpool. Planning on going to Bristol, Birmingham, Newcastle and maybe KCL next open days in the summer. Where is everyone else at with open days, personal statements, opinions on corses and unis in general?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by mollyhowarth
So it’s just less than a year away until we have to apply on 15th October 2020 to enrol in September 2021. I am currently in year 12 studying maths chemistry and biology. I’ve been to three open days so far: Manchester Leeds and Liverpool. Planning on going to Bristol, Birmingham, Newcastle and maybe KCL next open days in the summer. Where is everyone else at with open days, personal statements, opinions on corses and unis in general?

Also considering dentistry but haven't been to any open days yet :frown:Great that you've managed to attend 3 already! Still not a 100% sure and considering applying a year later but as of now I'm in year 12 studying Biology Chemistry and psychology. In terms of unis Im drawn to liverpool and leeds. I've been doing research into planning/ writing personal statements and getting started on some work experience/volunteering
So that's where I'm at at the moment
Reply 2
Hi Everyone,

This is a general forum for anyone and everyone applying to study dentistry in September 2021!

feel free to leave questions and comments. Hopefully the collective info will help at least one of you out :smile:

GOOD LUCK!
Reply 3
Hi Everyone,

This is a general forum for anyone and everyone applying to study Dentistry in September 2021!

feel free to leave questions and comments. Hopefully the collective info will help at least one of you out :smile:

GOOD LUCK!
Reply 4
Anyone doing the K+ programme (dentistry stream)?
Reply 5
What are your stats? Gcse grades in which subjects? Predicted a levels?
Original post by Alvx_
Anyone doing the K+ programme (dentistry stream)?

i am!
Reply 7
Hey! Who will be applying to Dentistry this year?🤪🦷
Reply 8
Original post by klywi03
Hey! Who will be applying to Dentistry this year?🤪🦷

Hopefully will be applying this year!
what are your stats, Gcse's in what subjects, A-level subjects, predicted grades?
Reply 9
Original post by MFTV
Hopefully will be applying this year!
what are your stats, Gcse's in what subjects, A-level subjects, predicted grades?

I’m not sure what my predicted grades are yet, as I haven’t finished all my mocks. For GCSE I got 2 A*’s, 6 A’s and 2B’s which is like pretty bad for a Dentistry applicant but oh well ): I’m studying Bio, Chem and History for A-level rn wbu?
Reply 10
Original post by klywi03
I’m not sure what my predicted grades are yet, as I haven’t finished all my mocks. For GCSE I got 2 A*’s, 6 A’s and 2B’s which is like pretty bad for a Dentistry applicant but oh well ): I’m studying Bio, Chem and History for A-level rn wbu?

Im about the same in terms of GCSE with 3 A*, 5A's, 3 B's which worries me a bit since one of the B's is in maths :frown: so there are some places i can't apply for. I'm doing Bio chem psychology welsh lit and welsh bacc- predicted grades A,A,A,A,B
Original post by MFTV
Im about the same in terms of GCSE with 3 A*, 5A's, 3 B's which worries me a bit since one of the B's is in maths :frown: so there are some places i can't apply for. I'm doing Bio chem psychology welsh lit and welsh bacc- predicted grades A,A,A,A,B

I think should be ok, as long as we get work experience, have a good personal statement and high UCAT score
Reply 12
Original post by klywi03
I think should be ok, as long as we get work experience, have a good personal statement and high UCAT score

I should think so! Have you started getting work exp yet?
Original post by MFTV
I should think so! Have you started getting work exp yet?

Yeah, I got 3 days of job shadowing at a dental practice and 1 day shadowing in an oral surgery and orthodontics department at a hospital. Wbu?
Reply 14
Original post by klywi03
Yeah, I got 3 days of job shadowing at a dental practice and 1 day shadowing in an oral surgery and orthodontics department at a hospital. Wbu?

Wow thats great. I've arranged 1 weeks at an NHS dental practice, and a week at a private practice shadowing dentists and hygienist in the summer. So i have that coming up but have no experience as of now but I volunteer at a hospital around the wards one day a week
Hey, I’m thinking of applying this year. I’m in Y13 though and taking a gap year so I’ll be finding out my achieved grades this august (hopefully I’ll be able to get three As at once 😅)

How did you guys get work experience? And where are you guys thinking of applying? I’m thinking of applying to Sheffield, Newcastle, Plymouth and QUB (and pls don’t ask for my GCSEs because they aren’t really the best 😂😭)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Deborah247
Hey, I’m thinking of applying this year. I’m in Y13 though and taking a gap year so I’ll be finding out my achieved grades this august (hopefully I’ll be able to get three As at once 😅)

How did you guys get work experience? And where are you guys thinking of applying? I’m thinking of applying to Sheffield, Newcastle, Plymouth and QUB (and pls don’t ask for my GCSEs because they aren’t really the best 😂😭)

I e-mailed some dental practices. They were very slow getting back to me and in the end i phoned up( shouldve phoned from the start now i think of it).
Im also thinking of applying to plymouth along with liverpool manchester, leeds possibly.
And as for your gcses I wouldnt worry, take a look at mine ^^^ also not the best, I wont ask you what you got but If it makes you feel better my gcses arent that great haha.
What did you get as your AS grades, and in what subjects?
Reply 17
Original post by MFTV

yoo I got similar GCSE grades as urs and will be applying for dentistry, but am scared that might get rejected.
Reply 18
Original post by Deborah247

I have 1 week of work experience at a pharmacy, 1 day at a dental practice, 3 weeks of dental practice coming up and weeks of hospital work experience coming up. im getting As and Bs and Cs rn, but hopefully will be able to get As in my mocks, so that im predicted an A
Original post by MFTV
I e-mailed some dental practices. They were very slow getting back to me and in the end i phoned up( shouldve phoned from the start now i think of it).
Im also thinking of applying to plymouth along with liverpool manchester, leeds possibly.
And as for your gcses I wouldnt worry, take a look at mine ^^^ also not the best, I wont ask you what you got but If it makes you feel better my gcses arent that great haha.
What did you get as your AS grades, and in what subjects?

I got an A in bio and chem and I got a B in psychology (aiming for an A-A* but I’ll be happy with an A)

Original post by Raja12
yoo I got similar GCSE grades as urs and will be applying for dentistry, but am scared that might get rejected.

Which unis are you thinking of applying to?

Original post by Raja12
I have 1 week of work experience at a pharmacy, 1 day at a dental practice, 3 weeks of dental practice coming up and weeks of hospital work experience coming up. im getting As and Bs and Cs rn, but hopefully will be able to get As in my mocks, so that im predicted an A

I managed to arrange one week of work experience at a dental practice in the summer (they said I can’t do more than one week over there unfortunately :frown:). How many weeks of dentistry work experience do you think I should do in order to make my application strong?

Latest