The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Small questions on Cardiff Uni accommodation (I have no idea what I am doing help me)

Hey all :smile:, I hope you're very well I am an incoming postgraduate masters student beginning in September @ Cardiff, and wanted to get some opinions on accommodation in the city. I've only been to Cardiff once so have no idea really on anything!

I did some online research and have the following Qs:

Senghennydd Court: What is it like - honestly?

Have read online that's it's like a "hovel", really small rooms, quite dingy/dirty and loud. And also that the majority of people inside are Welsh speakers (not a bad thing at all, but I am English, so perhaps may not be the best!!)

Also - have heard mixed things about the sizes of bedrooms/kitchen/communal area, insight into this would be valued!

What is the social life like, too?

The price/location are great. Please be as HONEST as possible as am fearful of making the wrong choice and being stuck somewhere that isn't great for a whole yr!

Student Houses (Village/Colum Road): Not much info at all online on these.

What are the types of people that usually stay here, if you guys know?

Is it social? What are the communal areas like?

Private accommodation: Same as above really; what's it like/the people there?
What is the social life like?
Are the bedrooms/kitchen/communal areas big?
Hi @blameitonme, looking forward to welcoming you to Cardiff in September!

You might find it usefult to ask some of our current students about accommodation- you can to chat to them here: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/chat-to-our-students

To get a better idea of space and facilities, use the 360 view button on the rooms that you're considering: https://www.cardiff.ac.uk/study/accommodation/residences

Its hard to say what the social life is like and what types of people stay in various residences because this changes with every intake. You do have the option to select things like having quiet accommodation if you don't want to risk being in a party-heavy flat, as well as other preferences, when you apply for your residences.

Senghennydd Court and Talybont North have some flats that are reserved for Welsh-speaking undergraduates who wants to live with other Welsh-speakers, this is probably why you've heard that there are Welsh-speakers at Senghennydd, however they wouldn't make up the majority of students and you would not be placed in a Welsh-speaking flat unless you requested it. Likewise, postgraduate and undergraduate students tend to be accommodated in difference blocks within the residences.

I hope this helps!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
@Rep, thank you for the above -- really helpful! :smile:

Do any current Cardiff students have any experiences?
Reply 3
Anyone? :biggrin:
Hello!

I didn't live in these places but I did live in Talybont North and then I lived in Cathays student housing.
I personally found the halls to be of a perfect size, I had my own en-suite and lived with 5 other students.
We had a cleaner that came into to clean our kitchen/shared area once a week, but we always kept it clean ourselves anyway.
Student housing in Cathays was amazing as it felt more homely, of course we didn't have our own cleaner but we made the effort ourselves to clean - that will be all to do with who you choose to live with.
I hope this helped a little bit, if you want to speak about other aspects of moving away from home to Cardiff or how you can prepare I am happy to help.

Gee! :smile:
Original post by blameitonme
Hey all :smile:, I hope you're very well I am an incoming postgraduate masters student beginning in September @ Cardiff, and wanted to get some opinions on accommodation in the city. I've only been to Cardiff once so have no idea really on anything!

Have read online that's it's like a "hovel", really small rooms, quite dingy/dirty and loud. And also that the majority of people inside are Welsh speakers (not a bad thing at all, but I am English, so perhaps may not be the best!!)

Also - have heard mixed things about the sizes of bedrooms/kitchen/communal area, insight into this would be valued!

The price/location are great. Please be as HONEST as possible as am fearful of making the wrong choice and being stuck somewhere that isn't great for a whole yr!

Hi:h:

I stayed in Liberty Severn Point in 2nd year (part of the Liberty Living group that has several accommodations in the city)
It depends on the one you visit, Severn Point (and Cambrian Point) are smaller and quieter (great for me bc I'm not great with people) but there are others which are bigger (such as Liberty Fields) with more facilities. Severn Point has bigger rooms compared to more modern builds which is great storage wise. It's not the fanciest (compared to Fields which is really fancy) but for the price it was really good quality. One thing I should mention is this one has several students from Cardiff Met and the Music and Drama college, you should still be put with students from CU but you may be placed with others too (There was 1 dodgy neighbour but luckily he didnt cause too many issues so my time there was fine). The staff are brilliant when it comes to issues and viewings. If you have any questions about this one in particular pls feel free to ask:biggrin:
Depending on how much you want to throw yourself into the social side of things vs how much personal space and privacy you want, looking at private options can be a good way to go. I started as a mature student last year, and coming back to University I knew that I definitely didn't want to live in shared halls again. I chose a studio at Lumis student living (they also offer ensuite rooms with shared kitchens) and it's great. We have social areas where we can spend time with friends if we want like cinemas and study areas, but I have a quiet (and clean!) space to come back to when I want my own space. The shared flats are also really nice, and the kitchens are HUGE! It's all purpose built and really new too. Talking to friends living in University owned accommodation my studio also works out cheaper per week than a lot of their ensuite rooms, despite them sharing kitchens and generally having smaller rooms. If you want more of a social life then I'd definitely say go for University owned accommodation or a private shared flat- Uni owned halls tend to be louder and more 'party central'- especially compared to private halls which seem to have a higher proportion of mature/postgrad students.
Another thing to consider is how far away from the city centre you want to be vs where you'll be studying. I study at the Heath so have to catch a bus, which is an added expense, but I love being in the city centre and it doesn't take too long to commute each day.
Hey!! I lived in Senghenydd Court in first year, so can answer any q's you may have tomorrow

Senghennydd Court has 2 block types - blocks designed for first years, and a few postgrad blocks. While they're probably not gonna be the prettiest, the postgrad blocks are a lot better than the regular blocks made for first years (unless anything has changed now!)

If you want (if it's allowed?) I can send photos of what my first year room looked like, kitchen etc. - I think there is a video on YouTube somewhere you can look at, too! :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by GeeHarland
Hello!

I didn't live in these places but I did live in Talybont North and then I lived in Cathays student housing.
I personally found the halls to be of a perfect size, I had my own en-suite and lived with 5 other students.
We had a cleaner that came into to clean our kitchen/shared area once a week, but we always kept it clean ourselves anyway.
Student housing in Cathays was amazing as it felt more homely, of course we didn't have our own cleaner but we made the effort ourselves to clean - that will be all to do with who you choose to live with.
I hope this helped a little bit, if you want to speak about other aspects of moving away from home to Cardiff or how you can prepare I am happy to help.

Gee! :smile:

Hi @GeeHarland, thanks so much for this! I just wanted to ask - by "Cathays student housing" do you mean private homes shared with other students? (basically a house share/ flat share)?
Reply 9
Original post by IKEASMRPanda39
Hi:h:

I stayed in Liberty Severn Point in 2nd year (part of the Liberty Living group that has several accommodations in the city)
It depends on the one you visit, Severn Point (and Cambrian Point) are smaller and quieter (great for me bc I'm not great with people) but there are others which are bigger (such as Liberty Fields) with more facilities. Severn Point has bigger rooms compared to more modern builds which is great storage wise. It's not the fanciest (compared to Fields which is really fancy) but for the price it was really good quality. One thing I should mention is this one has several students from Cardiff Met and the Music and Drama college, you should still be put with students from CU but you may be placed with others too (There was 1 dodgy neighbour but luckily he didnt cause too many issues so my time there was fine). The staff are brilliant when it comes to issues and viewings. If you have any questions about this one in particular pls feel free to ask:biggrin:

Hi there -- thanks so much, I will look into Liberty! :smile: Appreciate your help.
Original post by KrisiHughes
Depending on how much you want to throw yourself into the social side of things vs how much personal space and privacy you want, looking at private options can be a good way to go. I started as a mature student last year, and coming back to University I knew that I definitely didn't want to live in shared halls again. I chose a studio at Lumis student living (they also offer ensuite rooms with shared kitchens) and it's great. We have social areas where we can spend time with friends if we want like cinemas and study areas, but I have a quiet (and clean!) space to come back to when I want my own space. The shared flats are also really nice, and the kitchens are HUGE! It's all purpose built and really new too. Talking to friends living in University owned accommodation my studio also works out cheaper per week than a lot of their ensuite rooms, despite them sharing kitchens and generally having smaller rooms. If you want more of a social life then I'd definitely say go for University owned accommodation or a private shared flat- Uni owned halls tend to be louder and more 'party central'- especially compared to private halls which seem to have a higher proportion of mature/postgrad students.
Another thing to consider is how far away from the city centre you want to be vs where you'll be studying. I study at the Heath so have to catch a bus, which is an added expense, but I love being in the city centre and it doesn't take too long to commute each day.

Thanks so much for this! What were the type of people you shared with like? Also postgrads/were they mainly international? :smile: thanks!!
Original post by sunbears
Hey!! I lived in Senghenydd Court in first year, so can answer any q's you may have tomorrow

Senghennydd Court has 2 block types - blocks designed for first years, and a few postgrad blocks. While they're probably not gonna be the prettiest, the postgrad blocks are a lot better than the regular blocks made for first years (unless anything has changed now!)

If you want (if it's allowed?) I can send photos of what my first year room looked like, kitchen etc. - I think there is a video on YouTube somewhere you can look at, too! :smile:

heyy @sunbears, thanks so much for this reply. Really appreciate the time taken!!

Is it true it mainly contains Welsh speakers? (This is not a problem at all, but just curious!)

Hi @GeeHarland, thanks so much for this! I just wanted to ask - by "Cathays student housing" do you mean private homes shared with other students? (basically a house share/ flat share)?

Hi, yes it is a house share!
Reply 13

which course are you going for? Even I'm an international postgraduate applicant and looking for accommodation
Thanks so much for this! What were the type of people you shared with like? Also postgrads/were they mainly international? :smile: thanks!!

I went for a studio so didn't have to share my actual living space with anyone, but the other people in the halls are generally a really good mix- quite a lot of international students than what you'd normally find in student halls I think, but plenty of 'local' students too from all over the UK- and a good mix of mature students studying undergrad, postgrads, freshers, second and third years, students from Cardiff Uni and USW.
Original post by KrisiHughes

hey just a quick question, in studio for lumis could you have friends or family stay over?? i’m looking to move there but my friends and family always want to visit which is why i was looking at private accommodation, is there any protocol to it
Original post by visible-pottery
hey just a quick question, in studio for lumis could you have friends or family stay over?? i’m looking to move there but my friends and family always want to visit which is why i was looking at private accommodation, is there any protocol to it

Hi there,
I'd say to check with the accommodation itself for their exact rules but I have friends who have had friends from home come and stay with them in their studios.
All the best,
Jaz - Cardiff student rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending