The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Can you switch from an ordinary BSc to a BSc with a placement year at Exeter Uni?

I'm really torn over whether to put Cardiff or Exeter as my firm choice because I really loved both of the unis. I would quite like to do a placement year but I wasn't able to apply for a placement at Exeter because my predicted grades weren't quite high enough. So I was wondering if I'd be able to switch so I can do a placement year once I'm actually at the university.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I'm really torn over whether to put Cardiff or Exeter as my firm choice because I really loved both of the unis. I would quite like to do a placement year but I wasn't able to apply for a placement at Exeter because my predicted grades weren't quite high enough. So I was wondering if I'd be able to switch so I can do a placement year once I'm actually at the university.

It would be best to contact the admissions office and see what they have to say, but I swapped to a placement year degree having initially started on a three year course.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
It's quite easy to swap onto a placement year or year abroad programme once you're at exeter uni, however it is subject to you getting a 2:1 (60%) or higher in your first year of university. That's based on an average of all your essays and exams over the course of the year. Loads of people do placement or study abroad years at exeter uni so there's lots of support around in terms of who to ask for help or guidance with the switch as well. Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by WobblyCat
It's quite easy to swap onto a placement year or year abroad programme once you're at exeter uni, however it is subject to you getting a 2:1 (60%) or higher in your first year of university. That's based on an average of all your essays and exams over the course of the year. Loads of people do placement or study abroad years at exeter uni so there's lots of support around in terms of who to ask for help or guidance with the switch as well. Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you! It definitely helps! I emailed the uni but they haven't responded yet so I'm thinking I should probably call to double check.
Reply 4
Original post by WobblyCat

Hi. I went to the university offer day at Exeter the other day and asked about the possibility of switching once I’m there and they said they couldn’t guarantee it. Is it unlikely that I’ll be able to switch to the placement or do they just have to say that just in case they can’t do it?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Hi. I went to the university offer day at Exeter the other day and asked about the possibility of switching once I’m there and they said they couldn’t guarantee it. Is it unlikely that I’ll be able to switch to the placement or do they just have to say that just in case they can’t do it?

As I previously mentioned, I switched basically at my own whim from a non-placement to a placement course (I will note that I swapped from History to History with Employment Experience). The usual requirements for doing a placement (or a year of study abroad) is a grade average of a 2.1 or higher (60%).

As the university have said, they can't guarantee it! However, I am a student ambassador for the university and we are constantly told to say that line so that there is no risk of the university being accused of falsely advertising to prospective students. My best guess - which is all I can offer you based on my experience at the uni - is that you would likely be able to swap assuming you secure a placement and maintain the necessary grades.
Based on my knowledge as well they're quite flexible with it. I know for year abroad you need at least 60% in your first year. I know plenty of people who switched from/to placement year/year abroad without an issue, the uni has always been very helpful:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending