The Student Room Group

Driving through a temporary traffic light

As stupid as it is, I have recently started driving, I have just driven down a road, I had a driver right behind me with his beams on, I was too panicked and worried about him, I didn’t think about the temporary red lights in front of me, I went through them by mistake and luckily no one was waiting on the other end. There was a box on top of the temporary traffic light I’m just hoping and I’m really really panicking as to whether it was either a sensor or a camera ????

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Georgiaedwards31
As stupid as it is, I have recently started driving, I have just driven down a road, I had a driver right behind me with his beams on, I was too panicked and worried about him, I didn’t think about the temporary red lights in front of me, I went through them by mistake and luckily no one was waiting on the other end. There was a box on top of the temporary traffic light I’m just hoping and I’m really really panicking as to whether it was either a sensor or a camera ????

I'm sure that if you're a learner they'd understand, you had the badge on the car right?
Original post by csmlady
I'm sure that if you're a learner they'd understand, you had the badge on the car right?

I have three P plates on, the driver behind was just really scaring me I just didn’t think, I’ve been online and searched it, asked friends I just need to know whether they were sensors, I’ll be losing sleep!!!
Reply 3
I have three P plates on, the driver behind was just really scaring me I just didn’t think, I’ve been online and searched it, asked friends I just need to know whether they were sensors, I’ll be losing sleep!!!

I understand, I think you should just calm down because worrying won't do anything and honestly if there was no accident and no police around they probably aren't that bothered, it's not worth their time because it's the builders that put it there xx
Original post by csmlady
I understand, I think you should just calm down because worrying won't do anything and honestly if there was no accident and no police around they probably aren't that bothered, it's not worth their time because it's the builders that put it there xx

Thank you so much, I’ve onky had this car for two days, my mum is fuming with me for telling her but I’m the worst worrier and I’ll get myself into a mess. It’s just because I don’t know what a camera on top of those temporary lights look like... the lights had like black boxes on them and I’ve been told they’re sensors. Apparently it’s more than likely sensors because t would be too expensive to put up loads of cameras I just worry wayyyyy too much xx
Nothing you can do now, I doubt anything will happen however if this box happened to be a red light camera (I doubt it) then all that will happen is you be offered to take on a drivers ed course (basically sitting in a room the whole day telling you what you did way naughty) or take 3 points on your license. You would be notified of that though within 14 days of the incident.
Reply 6
Thank you so much, I’ve onky had this car for two days, my mum is fuming with me for telling her but I’m the worst worrier and I’ll get myself into a mess. It’s just because I don’t know what a camera on top of those temporary lights look like... the lights had like black boxes on them and I’ve been told they’re sensors. Apparently it’s more than likely sensors because t would be too expensive to put up loads of cameras I just worry wayyyyy too much xx

yeah you're right, just don't worry about it you can't do anything now anyway and it's probably nothing. don't worry though, you're new to it so it's not that bad xx
I'm fairly certain temporary lights are only a recommendation, and it's not technically illegal to drive through them.
Original post by csmlady
yeah you're right, just don't worry about it you can't do anything now anyway and it's probably nothing. don't worry though, you're new to it so it's not that bad xx

I just really don’t want to get into trouble ! I always thought they’d only have cameras on the busy roads, this was only a back way home xx
Original post by Knortfoxx
I'm fairly certain temporary lights are only a recommendation, and it's not technically illegal to drive through them.

I have searched on google and all and it’s said that too, I just want to be 100000% because I’m a major stress head and I won’t be able to sleep knowing I might get into trouble
Original post by Showaddywaddy
Nothing you can do now, I doubt anything will happen however if this box happened to be a red light camera (I doubt it) then all that will happen is you be offered to take on a drivers ed course (basically sitting in a room the whole day telling you what you did way naughty) or take 3 points on your license. You would be notified of that though within 14 days of the incident.

I really hope not I’m sat up in bed searching eveything, I’m only two days into driving on my own. My mum is not happy at all but I panicked the driver behind me made me lose my concentration
Reply 11

Highway Code Rule 109
Traffic light signals and traffic signs. You MUST obey all traffic light signals and traffic signs giving orders, including temporary signals & signs.

Imagine if everyone had the attitude of "they're only temporary lights so I can go through them."
Original post by Surnia
Highway Code Rule 109
Traffic light signals and traffic signs. You MUST obey all traffic light signals and traffic signs giving orders, including temporary signals & signs.

Imagine if everyone had the attitude of "they're only temporary lights so I can go through them."

It wasn’t just an accident, I DO NOT have that attitude for sure. I’m just worried is all !
Why are you on the roads if other drivers simply existing make you run a red light? That could have been a pedestrian crossing, junction or anything else that could have meant a potential fatality. I'd be more worried about the cause of running the red light than just a fine/points being endorsed.

If you're caught it's typically 3 points and a FPN.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Surnia
Highway Code Rule 109

I wasn't suggesting that it was a good idea.
Reply 15
I wasn't suggesting that it was a good idea.

You thought temporary lights were only a recommendation!!!
Original post by Surnia
You thought temporary lights were only a recommendation!!!

I've always obeyed themmmmmm. It's what I was told.

I wouldn't worry about it, it is a temporary traffic light and the box on top is only a sensor. Quite a lot of people will still go past one when they change and the cars in front are still going. They are annoying quite a lot of the time with not changing even when nothing is coming the other way.
Original post by scorpion95
I wouldn't worry about it, it is a temporary traffic light and the box on top is only a sensor. Quite a lot of people will still go past one when they change and the cars in front are still going. They are annoying quite a lot of the time with not changing even when nothing is coming the other way.

Thank you so much x
what happened?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending