The Student Room Group

Current educational issues primary pgce mmu interview manchester met

Hi, I have an interview tomorrow for Primary PGCE at Manchester Met. One part of the interview is to talk about current educational issues that are being faced in primary schools.

I am unsure as to what to talk about, i was thinking to talk about how reading has gone down with some stats or the use of technology in education?

Any tips would be helpful!
Hey

What you’re saying seems pretty good. There’s a few things which you can talk about. Current affairs are very important - has the government announced anything recently in regards to funding in education? How will this impact the young people’s education and their future? I know in England and Wales at the moment the Reception Baseline Assessment is stirring debate. LGBT-inclusive education in primary schools and of course how it is important for digital literacy skills to be excellent for future employability and to help young people for studying when starting secondary school and for their exams.

Can’t really say much more but I mentioned similar topics in my secondary teaching interview in Scotland and it goes down very well with the interviewers. Just demonstrate an awareness and interest of a few key issues and you’ll do fab :smile:

Let me know how you get on!
Original post by MAP123
Hi, I have an interview tomorrow for Primary PGCE at Manchester Met. One part of the interview is to talk about current educational issues that are being faced in primary schools.

I am unsure as to what to talk about, i was thinking to talk about how reading has gone down with some stats or the use of technology in education?

Any tips would be helpful!

It sounds like you have some good ideas already. Assessment is a bit of a hot potato in primary schools too at the moment, so I would talk about that, both reception baseline assessments and SATs. Don't forget to present a balanced view, as you can never know what the interviewer's own opinions are!
Reply 3
Original post by SingerPro
Hey

What you’re saying seems pretty good. There’s a few things which you can talk about. Current affairs are very important - has the government announced anything recently in regards to funding in education? How will this impact the young people’s education and their future? I know in England and Wales at the moment the Reception Baseline Assessment is stirring debate. LGBT-inclusive education in primary schools and of course how it is important for digital literacy skills to be excellent for future employability and to help young people for studying when starting secondary school and for their exams.

Can’t really say much more but I mentioned similar topics in my secondary teaching interview in Scotland and it goes down very well with the interviewers. Just demonstrate an awareness and interest of a few key issues and you’ll do fab :smile:

Let me know how you get on!

Thank you so much for your ideas!!
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
It sounds like you have some good ideas already. Assessment is a bit of a hot potato in primary schools too at the moment, so I would talk about that, both reception baseline assessments and SATs. Don't forget to present a balanced view, as you can never know what the interviewer's own opinions are!

Thank you for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending