The Student Room Group

IB subjects

Hi,

I am going to be in the IB next year and I want to study politics in university. Would these be good subject choices?
HL:
History
English A Lang&Lit
Maths: Applications...

SL:
Psychology
German B
ESS

Other subjects my school offers:
Estonian Lit
French B (can't take it because I have never studied French)
Russian B
Business Management
Biology
Physics
Chemistry
Maths: Analysis...
(edited 4 years ago)
Hello, I'm a year two IB student about to start my exams. The IB offers some great subjects to if you wish to study Politics at university. It would be great if you could take 'Global Politics' or 'Geography' over psychology, but I don't see these listed within your possible choice. Maybe check with your school about the availability of these. If not, they might be able to sign you up to take these as online subjects through Pamoja (though you should consider that learning online can be a bit tedious sometimes).

I most definitely recommend that if you want to study politics or a career related to the humanities, you take your social sciences (both) in HL. If you are applying in the UK, this will give you lots of things to talk about in your personal statement and will show you are committed to the humanities subjects. I think taking Language and Literature HL will also be helpful.
Hi,

Thank you very much. Firstly, I think our school's IB coordinator wouldn't let me take online subjects. Secondly, 'Global Politics' isn't available on Pamoja. It is unfortunate, because I was really interested in the subject. Do you recommend switching Psychology and Math? I just thought that maybe it would show that I am not a one-sided student who knows only social sciences and languages.
Unless you're going the Economics route, I suggest making Math an SL (unless you love math). It took over my life, ngl- it's a lot of work and dedication. I'd also suggest taking Business Management as another Group 3 subject since it relates to your major and isn't extremely painful haha. I'm in Year 2 (M20) and I take Economics, Maths, English L&L and Business Management HL and Chemistry & French SL if you need any help :smile:
Original post by annamaria19
Hi,

Thank you very much. Firstly, I think our school's IB coordinator wouldn't let me take online subjects. Secondly, 'Global Politics' isn't available on Pamoja. It is unfortunate, because I was really interested in the subject. Do you recommend switching Psychology and Math? I just thought that maybe it would show that I am not a one-sided student who knows only social sciences and languages.

That is a shame! It is such a good course from what I have heard!

Umm, I'm still part of the old curriculum (with Math Studies, Math SL and Math HL), so I'm not too sure what the level of mathematics will be. However, attached is something useful I found. It seems like it Applications HL could be a good option for you and what you want to study. I think taking it at the SL level will be too low (Math Studies is not recognized nor considered by many universities). Maybe, if you want to switch the psychology to the HL level or take business HL (not very recognized in US universities), another good potential option could be Analysis and Approaches SL. It says it is similar to Maths SL. I am currently studying Maths SL and it is a good option if you are not terrible with maths and have some basic understanding of them.
Check this out, it's quite good: https://www.revisionvillage.com/new-ib-maths-curriculum-information/

To be honest, if you are applying in the UK, they like to see that you are committed to the degree you want to study. If you apply to the US, then this might be an asset considering that it is impossible for you to take geography or global politics. However, I think taking them both at higher level will be most helpful. I recommend that, if you have some idea of where you want to study, you check subject requirements. I know that you might not have decided yet, I hadn't either when I choose my DP subjects, but just looking at them generally might give you an idea of what the most look for.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by WeBeenKnew
Unless you're going the Economics route, I suggest making Math an SL (unless you love math). It took over my life, ngl- it's a lot of work and dedication. I'd also suggest taking Business Management as another Group 3 subject since it relates to your major and isn't extremely painful haha. I'm in Year 2 (M20) and I take Economics, Maths, English L&L and Business Management HL and Chemistry & French SL if you need any help :smile:

Hey,

Thank you for the answer. I'm pretty sure that this curriculum's HL is actually more similar to the old Math's SL. I just enjoy math and feel that it really improves my logical thinking. I know that BM is not a very difficult subject, but if I have zero interest in it whatsoever, then should I really take it?
Original post by adventuresmaria

Umm, I'm still part of the old curriculum (with Math Studies, Math SL and Math HL), so I'm not too sure what the level of mathematics will be. However, attached is something useful I found. It seems like it Applications HL could be a good option for you and what you want to study. I think taking it at the SL level will be too low (Math Studies is not recognized nor considered by many universities). Maybe, if you want to switch the psychology to the HL level or take business HL (not very recognized in US universities), another good potential option couWhald be Analysis and Approaches SL. It says it is similar to Maths SL. I am currently studying Maths SL and it is a good option if you are not terrible with maths and have some basic understanding of them.
Check this out, it's quite good: https://www.revisionvillage.com/new-ib-maths-curriculum-information/

To be honest, if you are applying in the UK, they like to see that you are committed to the degree you want to study. If you apply to the US, then this might be an asset considering that it is impossible for you to take geography or global politics. However, I think taking them both at higher level will be most helpful. I recommend that, if you have some idea of where you want to study, you check subject requirements. I know that you might not have decided yet, I hadn't either when I choose my DP subjects, but just looking at them generally might give you an idea of what the most look for.

Thank you again. I feel like the description for AI HL suits me the most because I have always been strong at math, but I have no desire to continue studying after high school. What subjects were you referring to when you said 'both'? In terms of universities, it is such a tough choice because my dream university is in the US, but if that won't be happening, I want to study in the UK or in the Netherlands. Just out of interest, what subjects are you taking and what do you want to study later?

One last thing: do you have any what extracurriculars would be helpful to make me more attractive to universities?

Good luck on your exams!
Hey,

Thank you for the answer. I'm pretty sure that this curriculum's HL is actually more similar to the old Math's SL. I just enjoy math and feel that it really improves my logical thinking. I know that BM is not a very difficult subject, but if I have zero interest in it whatsoever, then should I really take it?

Ah okay- I'm doing the old syllabus so it's quite painful personally. If you think you can do it easily, go ahead! It'll definitely develop your skills. As for BM, take it if any of your SLs ends up being too hard. Good luck!
Thank you again. I feel like the description for AI HL suits me the most because I have always been strong at math, but I have no desire to continue studying after high school. What subjects were you referring to when you said 'both'? In terms of universities, it is such a tough choice because my dream university is in the US, but if that won't be happening, I want to study in the UK or in the Netherlands. Just out of interest, what subjects are you taking and what do you want to study later?

One last thing: do you have any what extracurriculars would be helpful to make me more attractive to universities?

Good luck on your exams!

Haha, no worries. I meant that which two social sciences you end up choosing I think you should take in the HL level. What I didn't realize, however, is that because of your subject options, which do not allow you to take geography or global politics, it might be most helpful to keep the English HL course there. I'm just thinking that English HL might be more helpful than psychology HL :frown:. If you want to reinforce your interest from politics etc. and cannot do it through your subjects, your EE topic could be related to it.

I'm a science kid. I take:
HL:
Chemistry
Biology
Economics

SL:
English Language and Literature
Mandarin Ab
Maths
I've applied to the UK (Scotland) and the Netherlands, the US was too expensive for me. We might see each other in a couple of years hahaha. I'll also maybe apply to Spanish universities later on in the year, as admissions start then. I wanna study smth related to biomed or molecular biology. One of my best friends tho also wants to do something related to politics or history.

For your extracurriculars, just do whatever you love to do most. If your school allows it you can do some of your extracurriculars for CAS (I joined volleyball and basketball teams and used it for Activity). But honestly, just do whatever you love to do. And don't stop doing it just cause you are going into DP, cause even if it might take you some time, it's gonna relief stress and it's going to be attractive to unis anyhow. Maybe for you, something like MUN (model united nations) could be good and you could definitely put it in your statement for UK. For US though, it is best if you do different things, those you truly enjoy most. It's also going to much easier for you to write about them if you enjoy them.
Hi,

Haha, I hope we meet in two years then. Now people are telling my not to take English HL because it is a pain in the ass, so now I'm even more confused. Why do universities want different things?? *crying in IB* Good luck again for the final months!
Hi,

Haha, I hope we meet in two years then. Now people are telling my not to take English HL because it is a pain in the ass, so now I'm even more confused. Why do universities want different things?? *crying in IB* Good luck again for the final months!

Ahh I don’t know then! I would still recommend doing English HL but it’s true it’s a bit more work. Thanks for you wishes!! Hope you figure it out, I’m sure whatever you end up choosing will work out fine!
Ahh I don’t know then! I would still recommend doing English HL but it’s true it’s a bit more work. Thanks for you wishes!! Hope you figure it out, I’m sure whatever you end up choosing will work out fine!

:h:
Reply 12

Umm, I'm still part of the old curriculum (with Math Studies, Math SL and Math HL), so I'm not too sure what the level of mathematics will be. However, attached is something useful I found. It seems like it Applications HL could be a good option for you and what you want to study. I think taking it at the SL level will be too low (Math Studies is not recognized nor considered by many universities). Maybe, if you want to switch the psychology to the HL level or take business HL (not very recognized in US universities), another good potential option could be Analysis and Approaches SL. It says it is similar to Maths SL. I am currently studying Maths SL and it is a good option if you are not terrible with maths and have some basic understanding of them.

Hi,
I'm thinking of doing Global Politics over Psychology as well in IB just bc I have an interest for it. Would you recommend it? Is it a fun subject?
Original post by Avipsha
Hi,
I'm thinking of doing Global Politics over Psychology as well in IB just bc I have an interest for it. Would you recommend it? Is it a fun subject?

Hi! Well, I haven't actually taken either of those two courses, so I cannot really say. My friends have, and from what I heard from them, mostly everybody agrees that Global Politics is a much more engaging subject. Psychology is known amongst students for having to learn loads of case studies. Maybe checking general university requirements for your future uni can help you decide. Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending