The Student Room Group

How to engage / hook the children at the start of the lesson of a new topic

Hi, I just wanted a few ideas on how you would engage and interest primary school children onto a new topic. For example, when you start the topic money is it a good idea to use fake money and get them to think what they think they can buy with that amount of money? Any more ideas would be helpful. Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by MAP123
Hi, I just wanted a few ideas on how you would engage and interest primary school children onto a new topic. For example, when you start the topic money is it a good idea to use fake money and get them to think what they think they can buy with that amount of money? Any more ideas would be helpful. Thank you

Yes, relating topics to real life is a great way to get them to engage, at least that was the case for me. Another idea is to create excitement so they associate it with being fun when you next bring it up, for example bringing in real life objects from a shop and practising role play which will stimulate their imagination! Hope this helps
Original post by MAP123

Hi,
I would also suggest that you share with them the purpose/aim of the topic is and you could maybe think of an "exciting" final project you would like them to complete:
It will motivate them to acquire the knowledge they need to complete the project if it is exciting enough! So for example with money, it could be going round the supermarket and buying a list of items for a meal with a certain budget, setting up a market in the classroom with shopkeepers and customers...
This will certainly motivate them and also open the door to a lot of cross-curricular activities.

Laure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending