The Student Room Group

2 months?! Panic!

As you can see, I’m literally panicking! I’m so stressed out that I can’t sleep at night. My goal is to get 8s and 9s and I don’t think I can achieve such goal because 1) I’m not natural clever and 2) I’m not gonna make it cos it’s impossible

I don’t wanna be here anymore...
It’s not impossible! I’m not naturally clever either. For GCSEs you don’t have to be either. I was expected 5s and 6s with maybe a 7 in a subject I was good at. I ended up getting 9, five 8s and three 7s. It’s all just about revision and working hard. Go through, learn the content. Use YouTube videos for science (primrose kitten is very good), learn the equations by writing them out on flashcards. Use BBC vite size for English lit for context and characters etc. For maths, it’s just practice practice practice after you’ve learnt necessary equations. And then, when you’ve learnt everything, it’s all about exam technique and doing practice papers. You’ve got this. It’s about how well you can do. Not everyone is going to get 8s and 9s. If your best is 6s and 7s, that’s fine! You still did your best. The new grading system makes it seem like a 6 and 7 aren’t very good grades. Where as really, that’s As and Bs on the old system so they’re actually amazing grades. Don’t burn yourself out. Make a study timetable. Good luck
Don't worry, the schools make the new GCSE seem harder than it is. It depends what subjects you do but English Literature isn't too bad as long as you memorise things that you know will get good marks and make sure you link the question back to them.
Original post by Fran2311
It’s not impossible! I’m not naturally clever either. For GCSEs you don’t have to be either. I was expected 5s and 6s with maybe a 7 in a subject I was good at. I ended up getting 9, five 8s and three 7s. It’s all just about revision and working hard. Go through, learn the content. Use YouTube videos for science (primrose kitten is very good), learn the equations by writing them out on flashcards. Use BBC vite size for English lit for context and characters etc. For maths, it’s just practice practice practice after you’ve learnt necessary equations. And then, when you’ve learnt everything, it’s all about exam technique and doing practice papers. You’ve got this. It’s about how well you can do. Not everyone is going to get 8s and 9s. If your best is 6s and 7s, that’s fine! You still did your best. The new grading system makes it seem like a 6 and 7 aren’t very good grades. Where as really, that’s As and Bs on the old system so they’re actually amazing grades. Don’t burn yourself out. Make a study timetable. Good luck

What if I fail??
Original post by TimotheeLaurie
What if I fail??

You won’t fail as long as you put some work in. As long as you have done some revision and try to improve, you won’t fail. Even if you do fail. It’s not a big deal. Lots of people fail English and maths first time round. You can always do them again. It’s not the be all and end all. There’s more important things in life than GCSEs. Don’t let your grades define you
I feel the same way tbh. Initially, I was going to aim for all 7s and above, but at this rate, I don't even think it's possible for me to turn around my grades like that in certain subjects like English & the Sciences. As those are the subjects I'm getting 3s in, and in other subjects I'm getting 6s. The only subject that I truly care about is Maths as that is my strongest subject where I'm getting 6s and sometimes 7s, and I'd like to achieve an 8 in Maths or a 9 if I'm lucky.. But yeah. Despite how I feel, I'm still going to try do my best to improve my grades - it's better than doing nothing.
Original post by Fran2311
You won’t fail as long as you put some work in. As long as you have done some revision and try to improve, you won’t fail. Even if you do fail. It’s not a big deal. Lots of people fail English and maths first time round. You can always do them again. It’s not the be all and end all. There’s more important things in life than GCSEs. Don’t let your grades define you

Okay... the thing I don’t wanna fail maths or English. When did you start revising properly ?
Original post by TimotheeLaurie
As you can see, I’m literally panicking! I’m so stressed out that I can’t sleep at night. My goal is to get 8s and 9s and I don’t think I can achieve such goal because 1) I’m not natural clever and 2) I’m not gonna make it cos it’s impossible

I don’t wanna be here anymore...

hopefully this makes you feel better, but I revised the night before for EVERY exam and ended up doing very well.
although i wouldn’t wish the schedule i took on anybody, it worked. i would go to my exam, come home for 12, sleep til 8, all nighter until my exam, repeat.
use primrose kittens videos for science and maths, she does the whole syllabus in about an hour, and that will get you at least a 6 which is what you need for science a levels and maths.
freesciencelessons also, and maths genie is a godsend (i was failing maths and got a high level 5)
french i just didn’t revise for, i did past papers and that was it, german i did the same. ended up getting a 9 and 7 respectively.
english language you don’t need to revise for at all, english lit however - definitely spend time memorising those quotes because that’s what killed my grade.
history i got a 9 in, i had all my notes prepared however, but i did revise them all the night before each exam.
its possible, have faith!

Quick Reply

Latest