The Student Room Group

chem a level help needed

Silicon tetrafluoride (SiF4) is a tetrahedral molecule.
Deduce the type of intermolecular forces in SiF4
Explain how this type of intermolecular force arises and why no other type of
intermolecular force exists in a sample of SiF4

I have the mark scheme so please don't just give me an answer, and please explain how to get to the fact that it's van der waal forces
Reply 1
Well there are 3 types of intermolecular forces - Van der Waal's, permanent dipole-dipole and hydrogen bonding. You need to discount the other 2 - what causes permanent dipoles, and what atoms are required to be present for hydrogen bonding?
Reply 2
The only intermolecular force it has is V.D.W and this is because:

- it doesn't have hydrogen bonding as there is no hydrogen in the molecule so this can't occur
- it also doesn't have dipole-dipole bonding as there is no atom which has a much greater electronegativity than the other so this doesn't occur
- this means V.D.W is the only intermolecular force left which it can be as this occurs in every molecule

- V.D.W forces arise when a temporary dipole forms in one of the molecules and this then causes an induced temporary dipole to form in the neighbouring molecule. This then causes an electrostatic attraction.
Reply 3
Original post by Hj5673
The only intermolecular force it has is V.D.W and this is because:

- it doesn't have hydrogen bonding as there is no hydrogen in the molecule so this can't occur
- it also doesn't have dipole-dipole bonding as there is no atom which has a much greater electronegativity than the other so this doesn't occur
- this means V.D.W is the only intermolecular force left which it can be as this occurs in every molecule

- V.D.W forces arise when a temporary dipole forms in one of the molecules and this then causes an induced temporary dipole to form in the neighbouring molecule. This then causes an electrostatic attraction.

This makes a lot of sense thank you so much :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Interea
Well there are 3 types of intermolecular forces - Van der Waal's, permanent dipole-dipole and hydrogen bonding. You need to discount the other 2 - what causes permanent dipoles, and what atoms are required to be present for hydrogen bonding?

I understand it now thank you so much
Reply 5
Original post by Ciel_
Silicon tetrafluoride (SiF4) is a tetrahedral molecule.
Deduce the type of intermolecular forces in SiF4
Explain how this type of intermolecular force arises and why no other type of
intermolecular force exists in a sample of SiF4

I have the mark scheme so please don't just give me an answer, and please explain how to get to the fact that it's van der waal forces

Which spec do you study? The advice given by t'others in this thread may cause you to lose marks.
Reply 6
Original post by Pigster
Which spec do you study? The advice given by t'others in this thread may cause you to lose marks.

AQA a level
Reply 7
Original post by Ciel_
AQA a level

In that case, you're fine.
Reply 8
SiF4 has no overall dipole as well

Quick Reply

Latest