The Student Room Group

Theme of Christmas a Christmas carol

Has anyone got a grade 9 essay of theme of family in a Christmas carol?
Reply 1
Throughout 'A Christmas Carol' written by Charles Dickens in 1843, the theme of Family is used in order to illustrate Scrooge's transformation from being: malice, misanthropic and cold to philanthropic and caring. The images of isolation from his family eventually disintegrate and form a new image of love and unity. At the beginning of the novel, Scrooge is described as "the Ogre of the family", this image allows the reader to understand that Scrooge is unloved and, furthermore, that his family are scared of him as he is seen to be monsterous. However, by the end of the novel Dickens presents Scrooge to be a "second father to Tiny Tim". By using the transformation of the gruesome and ugly image of an Ogre to a paternal figure, Dickens illustrates Scrooges new and invented self.

Original post by TimotheeLaurie
Has anyone got a grade 9 essay of theme of family in a Christmas carol?
Original post by kadiatuj0001
Throughout 'A Christmas Carol' written by Charles Dickens in 1843, the theme of Family is used in order to illustrate Scrooge's transformation from being: malice, misanthropic and cold to philanthropic and caring. The images of isolation from his family eventually disintegrate and form a new image of love and unity. At the beginning of the novel, Scrooge is described as "the Ogre of the family", this image allows the reader to understand that Scrooge is unloved and, furthermore, that his family are scared of him as he is seen to be monsterous. However, by the end of the novel Dickens presents Scrooge to be a "second father to Tiny Tim". By using the transformation of the gruesome and ugly image of an Ogre to a paternal figure, Dickens illustrates Scrooges new and invented self.

Have u got the whole essay?
Reply 3
The entrance of Scrooge’s nephew Fred at the beginning of the story introduces
another side to the miser. Scrooge is not unfortunate in the way of relatives he
has a family awaiting his presence, asking him to dinner, wanting to celebrate
the season with him, yet he refuses. This is one of the important moral moments in
the story that helps predict Scrooge’s coming downfall. It shows how Scrooge
makes choices to prolong his own misery. He chooses to live alone and in
darkness while even poor Cratchit is rich in family. Scrooge’s distaste for Fred’s
happiness is not just annoyance at the sight of merriness and excess, it is also
motivated by bitterness towards marriage based on Scrooge’s own lost love
Belle, who left him long ago.
Reply 4
i will give some points you can include
Scrooge’s nephew Fred- showing us Scrooge has the ability to be part of a family but chooses not to- "I want nothing from you; I ask
nothing of you; why cannot we be friends?"
Reluctance of letting Bob Cratchit have Christmas day off to spend with his family as he doesn’t understand the importance of a
family unit at this point in the novella.- ‘But I suppose you must have the whole day’. Still only thinking about money at this point.
The vision of his lonely childhood and lack of a family unit may explain his decision to be isolated in later life (his father clearly
neglected Scrooge as a boy, may this contribute to his lack of understanding in terms of a family unit?)- however, his vision of little
fan and the excitement when seeing his little sister shows us there used to be some understanding of family - ‘you are quite a woman
little Fan’-Somewhere along the way, greed and money has taken family values away from him.
Fezziwig's family- symbolic of the perfect happy family- they represent values of goodness and generosity which Scrooge has lost-
‘shaking hands with every person individually’.
The vision of Belle and her large family, showing Scrooge what he could have had and what he is missing out on. Her husband
highlights that Scrooge is still alone- ‘Quite alone in the world I do believe’. Scrooge struggles to deal with this vision, showing he is
beginning to understand the powerful connection of a family- ‘Remove me! I cannot bear it!’.
The Cratchit family- Despite their poverty and Tiny Tim’s illness, they represent the happiness and cheer of Christmas- they show the
importance of family values and how happiness comes with having those you care about with you and not about greed and money.
Dickens shows through their Christmas how disconnected upper classes can be of the lower classes and presents a highly
sentimentalized portrait of the lower classes. Though Cratchits means are small, they manage to fill their home with the spirit of
Christmas through their strong family unit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending