The Student Room Group

Getting my first car

Hello. I just recent got my driving license. Any ideas what brand I should get as my first abc roughly how much the insurance be per year?
Lamborghini aventador
Hi! I passed my test back in December. I already had a car as my mum gave me her Vauxhall corsa when she got a new car. But I know a lot of people have corsas and they tend to be good first cars. My insurance is a little over £1000 per year, with insurance you have to mess around with white to see what will get you the cheapest price. Putting your parents on it as maned drivers, black boxes etc. I also don’t have a black box myself. I’m with admiral and as far as I’m aware, they’re the cheapest for new drivers.
The Pagani Huayra is cheap for new buyers, a lot of people I know who just passed have them
Original post by missesdt
Hello. I just recent got my driving license. Any ideas what brand I should get as my first abc roughly how much the insurance be per year?

In terms of insurance, how long is a piece of string? Depends heavily on the area, your car, mileage etc.
Can be anything between £900 - 2500.

In terms of cars, you can get a Corsa, but finding a decent one is like looking for a kneedle in a haystack, a lot of them have been used and abused IME. It's better to get insurance quotes before deciding on a car, a Corsa isn't necessarily going to be the cheapest or best car you can get.
(edited 4 years ago)
Daughter has a VW Polo - insurance is just under £900 aged 17 with a black box from Admiral (in an expensive postcode)
Reply 6
Original post by ReadingMum
Daughter has a VW Polo - insurance is just under £900 aged 17 with a black box from Admiral (in an expensive postcode)

Did you include your name on her insurance?
Did you include your name on her insurance?

both mine and my husband - we both have had licenses for many years

All are engineered by the same guys and made in the same factories, so it doesn't matter. Pick any the looks of you like, and is in good condition (mechanically).

Quick Reply