The Student Room Group

Binomial Distribution

I have a question and im stuck have been asked to find the probability of losing at least once and exactly once I'll post my question with my answers down below
Appreciate any help
Reply 1
image.jpg
6iii)
image.jpg
Original post by A0W0N

6iii)

At least once means X1X \geq 1.

Exactly once means X=1X=1.

So for part (iii) you seek P(X1)P(X \geq 1) ... which can either be done by computing P(X=1)++P(X=6)P(X=1) + \ldots + P(X=6), or taking the shortcut by considering the fact that all P(0X6)=1P(0 \leq X \leq 6) = 1.
Reply 3
Original post by RDKGames
At least once means X1X \geq 1.

Exactly once means X=1X=1.

So for part (iii) you seek P(X1)P(X \geq 1) ... which can either be done by computing P(X=1)++P(X=6)P(X=1) + \ldots + P(X=6), or taking the shortcut by considering the fact that all P(0X6)=1P(0 \leq X \leq 6) = 1.

Can you explain the short method i dont understand how to work out x from that
Original post by A0W0N
Can you explain the short method i dont understand how to work out x from that

You're not supposed to 'work out X' it's a random variable which takes on values 0,1,...,6 and since it's binomially distributed you are able to compute the probabilities of it taking on any of these values.

You can easily work out what each of P(X=1),,P(X=6)P(X=1), \ldots, P(X=6) are and just add them up for P(X1)P(X \geq 1).

The reason I say there is a shortcut is because all probabilities add up to 1:

P(X=0)+P(X=1)++P(X=6)=1P(X=0) + P(X=1) + \ldots + P(X=6) = 1

and this is equivalent to

P(X=0)+P(X1)=1P(X=0) + P(X \geq 1) = 1

So just rearrange to get

P(X1)=1P(X=0)P(X \geq 1) = 1-P(X=0)
Reply 5
You're not supposed to 'work out X' it's a random variable which takes on values 0,1,...,6 and since it's binomially distributed you are able to compute the probabilities of it taking on any of these values.

You can easily work out what each of P(X=1),,P(X=6)P(X=1), \ldots, P(X=6) are and just add them up for P(X1)P(X \geq 1).

The reason I say there is a shortcut is because all probabilities add up to 1:

P(X=0)+P(X=1)++P(X=6)=1P(X=0) + P(X=1) + \ldots + P(X=6) = 1

and this is equivalent to

P(X=0)+P(X1)=1P(X=0) + P(X \geq 1) = 1

So just rearrange to get

P(X1)=1P(X=0)P(X \geq 1) = 1-P(X=0)

thankyou sooo much it just clicked i understand it now
Reply 6
I have another question this is to do woth significance level, i just dont know which values to assign n and p to ill attach my working and the question
image.jpg
2ii)
image.jpg
im not sure if ive done the the X~B part right so i stopped
Original post by A0W0N
I have another question this is to do woth significance level, i just dont know which values to assign n and p to ill attach my working and the question

2ii)

im not sure if ive done the the X~B part right so i stopped

This is fine so far.

Under H0H_0 we have that the number of times he rolls a 1 can be modelled by a random variable XB(12,16)X \sim B(12,\frac{1}{6}).

The p-value is just going to represent the probability of rolling a ONE exactly 5 times out of 12. I.e. P(X=5)

Then for the last part you need to compare this to the significance level in order to say what the conclusion should be.
Reply 8
Im sorry to keep asking but i dont know what i should set H(null) and H(one) to for this question and even if i did which year i would choose
image.jpg
6i)
image.jpg
There is my working although i think it is completely wrong
Original post by A0W0N
Im sorry to keep asking but i dont know what i should set H(null) and H(one) to for this question and even if i did which year i would choose

6i)

There is my working although i think it is completely wrong

You misunderstand the context.

The usual evidence over the history of the school shows that 2 out of 3 pupils achieve grades A-C. Since this is the accepted claim, it constitutes the null hypothesis.

Then a new tutor team steps in before a new academic year. The head of 6th form claims that this new tutor team will have an impact on the results. So we could get more pupils getting A-C grades, or less pupils. This constitutes a two-tailed alternate hypothesis.

After the year, it turns out that 16 out of 20 pupils got A-C grades. This is your sample and test statistic.

The head of maths says that this is an improvement due to a new teacher. An improvement claim means greater proportion of pupils getting A-C grades. Hence this implies an upper-tail test.

In your working out you should clearly define pp to be the proportion of students achieving A-C grades, and define X to be your random variable distributed binomially which represents the number of students that obtain A-C grade.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
image.jpg
it gives me an answer above one
Original post by A0W0N

it gives me an answer above one

Check what you wrote down... 2/3 appears TWICE ??
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Check what you wrote down... 2/3 appears TWICE ??

yep, thanks😅

Quick Reply

Latest