The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yourmainmancj
So I graduated with a 2:2 in PPE but I have obtained a merit in computer science from a Russel group, should I do a PhD or should I just redo my undergrad (in comp sci this time ) via distance learning and just get experience?

What is it you are trying to achieve at the end of all this ? You won't be a competitive candidate for a funded PhD position, both on grades and because they are in very different areas, so dont "add" in any way.
Original post by Mr Wednesday
What is it you are trying to achieve at the end of all this ? You won't be a competitive candidate for a funded PhD position, both on grades and because they are in very different areas, so dont "add" in any way.

Funding isn’t my problem, I want to get a top level job in CS, some require PhDs, I don’t mind doing another undergrad just to get into graduate schemes. My first undergraduate degree went south because my dad had a stroke plus I had meningitis. So effectively I want to sort of reverse the bad luck I had and undo the damage. I’m not sure if going on to a PhD is even necessary to achieve this as most grad schemes simply want a 2:1. Since my MSc grade is good I may as well go back to uni and get a new undergrad degree I guess
Funding isn’t my problem, I want to get a top level job in CS, some require PhDs, I don’t mind doing another undergrad just to get into graduate schemes. My first undergraduate degree went south because my dad had a stroke plus I had meningitis. So effectively I want to sort of reverse the bad luck I had and undo the damage. I’m not sure if going on to a PhD is even necessary to achieve this as most grad schemes simply want a 2:1. Since my MSc grade is good I may as well go back to uni and get a new undergrad degree I guess

Why not just use your masters degree to apply to grad schemes with..
Original post by mnot
Why not just use your masters degree to apply to grad schemes with..

Apparently if you don’t have a 2:1 your MSc won’t be considered as a lot of employers see an MSc as lower than an undergrad if you don’t have a 2:1

I think going back for another UG degree is not the way to go here. If you want to move into a CS job then experience really matters. I think you would be better off actually working in a CS role and building real world experience, creating a code base you can show off on Github, working with a range of programming languages etc than spending another 3 years trying to cancel out that UG grade. It also means getting paid as distinct from paying fees, so significantly better financially.
Just do PhD
I think going back for another UG degree is not the way to go here. If you want to move into a CS job then experience really matters. I think you would be better off actually working in a CS role and building real world experience, creating a code base you can show off on Github, working with a range of programming languages etc than spending another 3 years trying to cancel out that UG grade. It also means getting paid as distinct from paying fees, so significantly better financially.

Yeah you’re probably right tbh
Reply 8
Apparently if you don’t have a 2:1 your MSc won’t be considered as a lot of employers see an MSc as lower than an undergrad if you don’t have a 2:1

Citation needed

So I graduated with a 2:2 in PPE but I have obtained a merit in computer science from a Russel group, should I do a PhD or should I just redo my undergrad (in comp sci this time ) via distance learning and just get experience?

I urge you to take the advice of Mr Wednesday above.

Unfortunately doing another undergraduate degree is unlikely to 'undo the damage' of your first. Not only are you studying out of order, but also you should have put in extenuating circumstances while you had the chance (otherwise it just sounds to an employer like you're making excuses for poor performance).
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Unfortunately doing another undergraduate degree is unlikely to 'undo the damage' of your first. Not only are you studying out of order, but also you should have put in extenuating circumstances while you had the chance (otherwise it just sounds to an employer like you're making excuses for poor performance).

The degree I want to do has skills that my MSc doesn’t give me like games dev, IoT etc. I was planning on doing it part time anyway whilst I rack up some experience in data science. AI grad schemes and grad jobs are different from your average grad job. Most of them don’t care if you have a 2:2, if you have a masters from a good uni you’re good to go as it’s really about the AI skills shortage plus having a good portfolio. After I gain some experience I want to make my own data science IoT company. My reason for wanting do a PhD also is to allow me to get some R and D experience to see how products are researched and designed. If I had a third it might be different but having a 2:2 I don’t think it will ultimately keep from what I’ve gathered from recruiters, this only matters in stuff like banking, accountancy etc
Original post by Reality Check
I urge you to take the advice of Mr Wednesday above.

As I said I would take the degree whilst being in a job, for me ultimately getting a another degree to replace my 2:2 is partially about pride, I just want another chance to prove it to myself really (I also want the skills that on the course as they fit my ultimate goals)

Get a job, maybe do some specific professional development courses.

You can't re-write history, even if you've got the money to do endless degrees. You've got a 2.2 in PPE and a Merit in CS, that's not going to get you a PhD place. Redoing an undergrad degree is wasting 3 years for nothing. You've got a Masters in CS, that should get you a CS related job. Do that, learn, make career plans form there.

And get better advice (or more, or listen better), you are making a lot of definitive can's and can't's there that are entirely wrong.
Original post by threeportdrift
Get a job, maybe do some specific professional development courses.

You can't re-write history, even if you've got the money to do endless degrees. You've got a 2.2 in PPE and a Merit in CS, that's not going to get you a PhD place. Redoing an undergrad degree is wasting 3 years for nothing. You've got a Masters in CS, that should get you a CS related job. Do that, learn, make career plans form there.

And get better advice (or more, or listen better), you are making a lot of definitive can's and can't's there that are entirely wrong.

I already have a 3 PhD offers. Also as I said it’s not completely about rewriting history , it’s more about gain skills from the BSc that I don’t have already. I was also planning to do this BSc whilst working too.
I already have a 3 PhD offers.

Funded?
Original post by Reality Check
Funded?

Nope but they never actually had funding available for the projects anyway plus I don’t mind self funding
Nope but they never actually had funding available for the projects anyway plus I don’t mind self funding

You can apply for scholarships to make PhDs funded, this is what most people do as they dont want another huge pile of debt, but if you got the finance situation sorted I guess thats a different situation, fyi this might not be you but: I wouldn't encourage anyone to take a loan out for a PhD, your looking at fees £5-20K / year , living costs £15-20K / year , equipment costs £+++ , travel costs for conferences £+++

Personally one of the benefits of having funding ive found is a sense of professionalism, the uni is choosing to pay me to be a researcher rather then me pay them. This definitely helps me view myself as more of a "professional scientist" rather then just a post-grad student, just something to consider if you ever apply for funding.

Also if you have 3 offers most come with a window of when they expect you to accept the offers so presumably you only have limited time to decide at this point, either way good luck.

Dont listen to Mr Wednesday please as he is doing good University Propaganda.
There is plenty of it if you look at his replies to everyone else.

all you need for a PhD is a 2.1 on BSc a good Masters, or a first class in your BSc without masters. Even with a 2.2 at a BSc level and a Masters at merit or distinction you can get a PhD place.

While applying for PhDs you have to know that part of your application is what you know. Most is WHO you know.
That said and it is guarantee.

Just don't listen to Mr Wednesday, Mr Thursday, Mr Friday etc
Original post by Lucifer323
Dont listen to Mr Wednesday please as he is doing good University Propaganda.
There is plenty of it if you look at his replies to everyone else.

all you need for a PhD is a 2.1 on BSc a good Masters, or a first class in your BSc without masters. Even with a 2.2 at a BSc level and a Masters at merit or distinction you can get a PhD place.

While applying for PhDs you have to know that part of your application is what you know. Most is WHO you know.
That said and it is guarantee.

Just don't listen to Mr Wednesday, Mr Thursday, Mr Friday etc

I thought Mr Wednesdays points on this thread were pretty good, particularly post 6.