The Student Room Group

Cambridge, St. Edmund's College Applicants 2020

Hello everyone, perhaps unsurprisingly I noticed that St. Edmund's had yet to have an official applicant thread made. Considering the fact it's a mature college, this thread is equally open to undergraduates and postgraduates! Post your name, course (including undergrad or postgrad) and qualifications if you are interested. @04MR17

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I got an offer to study law at St. Edmund's starting this coming fall. I'm from Canada and super excited. I am currently finishing my undergraduate degree and am majoring in both philosophy and political science.
Yay for other offer holders coming in! Welcome to the thread :h:

I have an unconditional (aside from financial) offer for affiliate law. Qualifying conditions are a first degree from the United States in global politics and biomedical sciences. I am ridiculously excited for the first term to start and to be starting in a mature college.
Hi, congrats on your offers! I have a conditional offer for an MPhil in Archaeology. I graduated from a US university last year with degrees in archaeology and environmental science. Looking forward to meeting you all!
Original post by eggo-omelette
Hi, congrats on your offers! I have a conditional offer for an MPhil in Archaeology. I graduated from a US university last year with degrees in archaeology and environmental science. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Congratulations! One of the benefits of St. Edmund's, and I am sure the other mature colleges, is their ability to socially integrate undergraduates and postgraduates. Archaeology is an undeniably impressive subject, do you already have a regional focus or an idea of what you're looking to study? It's also funny that all the respondents so far have been from North America.
Original post by jger_rams2019
Congratulations! One of the benefits of St. Edmund's, and I am sure the other mature colleges, is their ability to socially integrate undergraduates and postgraduates. Archaeology is an undeniably impressive subject, do you already have a regional focus or an idea of what you're looking to study? It's also funny that all the respondents so far have been from North America.

My specific course is Archaeological Science so it’s more focused on methods rather than regions but I’d love to work in the UK. Law is a solid choice too! What type?
Original post by eggo-omelette
My specific course is Archaeological Science so it’s more focused on methods rather than regions but I’d love to work in the UK. Law is a solid choice too! What type?

Does that focus on the processing (cleaning, dating, identification) of excavated and other materials? I had a friend from the U.S. leave for Wales (Cardiff) in 2014 for her Archeology Bachelor's and Master's degree and she still works in Europe (moved from the UK to Italy after 2 years). She works with a lot of people from outside of Europe so hopefully that's a good indication that you can stay in the UK post graduation!

I did my first degree in Global Politics with a focus on war and security in Northern Africa, so I would love to do Humanitarian law in that region. I speak French and am working on my Arabic to make that easier. But for financial reasons, I may defect and go the route of UK commercial law, so we'll see.
Hi! I am from Zambia, Africa. I got accepted to Edmunds too😊. I will be studying PhD Education under the supervision of Dr Mandy Swann. Nice to meet you all.
Original post by Tililenji
Hi! I am from Zambia, Africa. I got accepted to Edmunds too😊. I will be studying PhD Education under the supervision of Dr Mandy Swann. Nice to meet you all.

Congratulations! The world needs more people improving the education systems so you are fantastic. Do you have a specific focus of study going into your program?
Original post by sm2804
Hey I'm from Bangalore in India and I've been admitted to the MPhil in Development Studies! Currently finishing my undergrad from India in political science and IR. Super excited for Cambridge and meeting y'all!!
Can we do an fb group or something for St.Edmund's admitees?

Congratulations on your offer! We have a lot of political science representation in this thread so I'm sure we will all get along. I read in some of the Cambridge threads that each college should be setting up Facebook groups for those admitted, but I haven't heard anything so we could definitely do one now if you're interested.
Reply 10
Congratulations on your offer! We have a lot of political science representation in this thread so I'm sure we will all get along. I read in some of the Cambridge threads that each college should be setting up Facebook groups for those admitted, but I haven't heard anything so we could definitely do one now if you're interested.

Yeah sounds great.

Original post by Sara679
Hey! Fellow Indian here! Any news on funding yet?
A Facebook group sounds like a great idea

Hey there! No I haven't heard back yet but I guess all us Indians have a lot riding on the Peter Kishore Chand Anand Scholarship amirite?
Hey everyone. If there's a facebook group, I'd love to join. I'm currently in my final year. I'm from London and study here too. I have a conditional offer for MPhil Economics. Look forward to meeting others in the new academic year!

Original post by Sara679
Hey! Fellow Indian here! Any news on funding yet?
A Facebook group sounds like a great idea

No news on funding either.
Hello!

I’m 25 and have an offer for veterinary medicine at St Edmunds. I went down the wrong path straight out of school and followed what I got the best grade in, but it just bored me so much so I lost all motivation. Did a year of a chemistry degree then a chemistry based apprenticeship which I eventually quit to pursue something I felt passionate about and spent the year prior to application gaining work experience.

I’m quite worried about my offer currently in the COVID-19 crisis as it’s conditional on A level biology which I was self teaching to sit this summer so still waiting to hear about that.

I already have A*AA in chemistry, physics and maths which would technically fulfil the entry requirements on the website but they wanted me to prove I could still perform academically.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Keerarara
Hello!

I’m 25 and have an offer for veterinary medicine at St Edmunds. I went down the wrong path straight out of school and followed what I got the best grade in, but it just bored me so much so I lost all motivation. Did a year of a chemistry degree then a chemistry based apprenticeship which I eventually quit to pursue something I felt passionate about and spent the year prior to application gaining work experience.

I’m quite worried about my offer currently in the COVID-19 crisis as it’s conditional on A level biology which I was self teaching to sit this summer so still waiting to hear about that.

I already have A*AA in chemistry, physics and maths which would technically fulfil the entry requirements on the website but they wanted me to prove I could still perform academically.

Congratulations on your offer! My first degree was partially Biomedical Sciences (which in the U.S. is preparatory for Vet and Med) and I loved the courses.

It is really understandable to have frustrations and fears regarding the impact of Covid-19. The small bit of reassurance is that all Unis have been told to be flexible with offer holders. Have you tried to contact St. Edmund's admissions to see if they will now wave the biology requirement since you already have qualifying statistics?
Original post by econ.person
Hey everyone. If there's a facebook group, I'd love to join. I'm currently in my final year. I'm from London and study here too. I have a conditional offer for MPhil Economics. Look forward to meeting others in the new academic year!

No news on funding either.

Congratulations on your offer! I hope that the University and Colleges have the opportunity to keep their postgraduate students updated on funding during this time. No news seems like it would be a pain. What did you study as your first degree?
Congratulations on your offer! My first degree was partially Biomedical Sciences (which in the U.S. is preparatory for Vet and Med) and I loved the courses.

It is really understandable to have frustrations and fears regarding the impact of Covid-19. The small bit of reassurance is that all Unis have been told to be flexible with offer holders. Have you tried to contact St. Edmund's admissions to see if they will now wave the biology requirement since you already have qualifying statistics?

Yeah I have, they’ve been the most helpful of all my offers, they said they might be able to waive the requirement or that they might be able to set their own assessments later in the summer. Worried about the government cap but I’m the only offer St. Edmunds gave for vet med...
Original post by Keerarara
Yeah I have, they’ve been the most helpful of all my offers, they said they might be able to waive the requirement or that they might be able to set their own assessments later in the summer. Worried about the government cap but I’m the only offer St. Edmunds gave for vet med...

As you probably already know, St. Edmund's is geared towards a significantly larger number of postgraduates instead of mature undergraduates/affiliate students. That can be an advantage as it means you are somewhat unique and they are more likely to have the resources to cater towards you as an individual. I hope that they are able to accept you, or at least give you a fair assessment going forward, as it sounds like you have put in the work.
Thank you! My first degree, that I’ll be finishing soon, is BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics. How comes you’ve decided to have a change of field?

Congratulations on your offer! I hope that the University and Colleges have the opportunity to keep their postgraduate students updated on funding during this time. No news seems like it would be a pain. What did you study as your first degree?
Original post by econ.person
Thank you! My first degree, that I’ll be finishing soon, is BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics. How comes you’ve decided to have a change of field?

Wow, you sound utterly brilliant, that amount of math and econ must keep you busy in uni!

I actually changed my field quite early. I enjoyed science and actually already worked in the medical field, but I wasn't passionate about it so I switched my first degree to international relations and politics after my first year. The U.S. doesn't offer law as a BA or LLB, so I am essentially pursuing my graduate degree equivalent with law abroad. I also hope to stay abroad so my first degree offers me that flexibility.
Wow, you sound utterly brilliant, that amount of math and econ must keep you busy in uni!

Aha I am very normal, far from brilliant. It it’s quite tiresome at times but I enjoy it.

So what’s made you decide law in the uk instead of maybe a JD in the states? (I’ve been watching too much suits)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending