The Student Room Group

How can I significantly improve running speed and time?

I’ve applied to join the british army and I have to run 1.2 miles under 11 mins 15 secs (with a starter 800m warm up jog included before actually running the 1.2 miles). I’m 19/F. I managed to run 2.5km in around 21 minutes and I’m absolutely gutted and angry with myself and the sh*tty time. I’ve begun to sprint uphills as I’ve heard they’re great. Any tips? Thanks x

EDIT: I want to be able to run 1.2 miles in at least 9 minutes. I’m prepared to do all the running I can.
Reply 1
Have you spoken with your AFCO or looked on the British Army recruitment website? There are specific training programmes to get you up to standard for the Fitness Test.
Original post by Surnia
Have you spoken with your AFCO or looked on the British Army recruitment website? There are specific training programmes to get you up to standard for the Fitness Test.

No I haven’t spoke with them, but where can I find the training programmes on their website? I’ve looked before but can’t seem to find it :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Reply 4
I’ve applied to go in the RAF and I know the fitness tests are different but not by much, I would have to do a 1.5 mile run in around 13 minutes. I haven’t started training intensely yet however my boyfriends currently doing his basic training so I’ve got a lot of information from him. I would recommend not really worrying about time to begin with and just try to improve your cardiovascular endurance as although you only need to do a 1.2 mile run for the test during training you are likely to be doing much longer runs eg, 5-10 mile runs constantly so try and go for much longer runs or interval training and once you can run for a lot longer you can then give yourself goals to increase speed over time etc
Original post by T-Paige
I’ve applied to go in the RAF and I know the fitness tests are different but not by much, I would have to do a 1.5 mile run in around 13 minutes. I haven’t started training intensely yet however my boyfriends currently doing his basic training so I’ve got a lot of information from him. I would recommend not really worrying about time to begin with and just try to improve your cardiovascular endurance as although you only need to do a 1.2 mile run for the test during training you are likely to be doing much longer runs eg, 5-10 mile runs constantly so try and go for much longer runs or interval training and once you can run for a lot longer you can then give yourself goals to increase speed over time etc

Thank you for the advice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest