The Student Room Group

How much was your first car?

I bought my first car yesterday. It’s a 14 plate Vauxhall Corsa with 5 doors. With insurance, I’m paying just under £240 a month. It’s a bit more more than what I was hoping for but I’m still excited to get it.

How much was yours?

Scroll to see replies

£400 but it was an ancient Beetle and it was back in 1984!!!
Reply 2
£1000 British Pounds.
£16 9s 4d
Reply 4
£1500 for a 02 Polo

Insurance... more.
Reply 5
Original post by 8472
Insurance... more.

Think that's always the case isn't it
Free
Reply 7
Original post by xDron3
Think that's always the case isn't it

Yeah. It's crazy. Even now with coming up 5 years no claims still wanting the best part of a grand to insure my golf :shakecane:
£850, although it needs £££ spending on it, with a few more problems than I anticipated.
£4K it was a silver studio 2 metro.

Every now and then it would cut out and stall when you were driving along. Obviously I used to live on the edge in those days
Free Austin mini in green color. Quite fun to drive :wink:
(edited 4 years ago)
It was free. My grandad proudly gave me his when I passed my test.
And under no circumstances will I say what it was
£500 for a second hand matiz. Decent 4 door car
First vehicle I got after passing my car test was a ford transit 2.4l long wheelbase van.

Think it cost like £5000
Original post by Mr. Bean
Free Austin mini in green color. Quite fun to drive :wink:

Free? Wow. I must have come from the school of hard knocks, as no one ever gave me anything for free.
Reply 15
Original post by Oxford Mum
Free? Wow. I must have come from the school of hard knocks, as no one ever gave me anything for free.

It wasn't my first car, but my wife came free with the deal.

We worked for the same organisation. I was visiting her office and it was the first time we spoke. I told her I was looking to buy a car, and told her the make, model, and age of car i was looking for (based on what I could afford - £1500). She pointed out the window and said "what about that one ?" She was selling the exact same make, model, age. We went for a drive that weekend and I purchased it, then the engine died twice in the first two weeks. I rang her several times asking what was wrong with it. She eventually said she owed me a meal by way of compensation. That was our first date - two weeks later I told her I was going to marry her.

She's always been a great believer in fate. I've always been a great believer in recognising a good deal when you see one. Whichever it was it definitely worked out ok - happily married for 30 years now.
My first car cost £125, the insurance was £150 Hillman Avenger.
Bought it with money I earned with a part time job before going to university and took it there with me.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by meddad
It wasn't my first car, but my wife came free with the deal.

We worked for the same organisation. I was visiting her office and it was the first time we spoke. I told her I was looking to buy a car, and told her the make, model, and age of car i was looking for (based on what I could afford - £1500). She pointed out the window and said "what about that one ?" She was selling the exact same make, model, age. We went for a drive that weekend and I purchased it, then the engine died twice in the first two weeks. I rang her several times asking what was wrong with it. She eventually said she owed me a meal by way of compensation. That was our first date - two weeks later I told her I was going to marry her.

She's always been a great believer in fate. I've always been a great believer in recognising a good deal when you see one. Whichever it was it definitely worked out ok - happily married for 30 years now.

How romantic... could you please pass on some of your good luck on to me?
I have never bought a car.
Reply 19
Original post by Oxford Mum
How romantic... could you please pass on some of your good luck on to me?

At least it sounds like you're been well blessed with your child(ren) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending