The Student Room Group

Driving licence disqualification

I was disqualified from driving November last year for 12 months and now its ended. I'm now looking to hire a car for myself and my 3 disabled children. Am I allowed to ??
This will depend on the terms of the disqualification
Reply 2
Original post by Andrew Griffin
I was disqualified from driving November last year for 12 months and now its ended. I'm now looking to hire a car for myself and my 3 disabled children. Am I allowed to ??

Good luck paying for the insurance.
I wouldn't expect so, you'll need to apply for a new drivers licence and may have to sit the tests again. Most car hire places won't touch you till the codes properly come off your licence which is apparently 4+ years.
What Don said. We don't know, but don't you need to sit the extended retest? In addition to this, you have to submit your license to a hire company and I would wager they aren't going to hire a car to someone with a disqualification; I mean ask yourself this - would you?

Original post by IWMTom
Good luck paying for the insurance.

If he's hiring that's unlikely to matter surely unless he's leasing?
Reply 5
Original post by nevershear
What Don said. We don't know, but don't you need to sit the extended retest? In addition to this, you have to submit your license to a hire company and I would wager they aren't going to hire a car to someone with a disqualification; I mean ask yourself this - would you?

If he's hiring that's unlikely to matter surely unless he's leasing?

Doubt their policy would cover him given the circumstances, so he'd end up needing to obtain his own.
Original post by Andrew Griffin

Are the children's disabilities relevant then?
Original post by IWMTom
Doubt their policy would cover him given the circumstances, so he'd end up needing to obtain his own.

Always thought the case was if their policy doesn't cover you even at the heightened premium amounts that they give for example to younger drivers, then they don't give you a car period regardless of whether you can insure it yourself or not.
Reply 8
Original post by nevershear
Always thought the case was if their policy doesn't cover you even at the heightened premium amounts that they give for example to younger drivers, then they don't give you a car period regardless of whether you can insure it yourself or not.

Depends who's providing it - probably the case for the major suppliers.
Is your license still active or do you have to retake the theory and practical tests?
Even so, nobody will rent out a car to someone that was recently disqualified unless you hide information which is probably illegal
Original post by Mustafa0605
Is your license still active or do you have to retake the theory and practical tests?
Even so, nobody will rent out a car to someone that was recently disqualified unless you hide information which is probably illegal

Not probably - it is. Fraud, false representation, deception, driving without insurance (since person would technically be uncovered just like anyone else who would give false info to an insurer) etc, list goes on.

Quick Reply

Latest